An Awkward Date

I Love My Boss (On Hiatus)

 

"How do you think? Now hang up." I turn my phone on vibrate and put it away before going back to my meal.

"Everything okay, Changmin?"

"Oh, yeah. Daniel forgot to feed his animals before he fell asleep and the person with him just needed instructions on what to do." We both go back to eating for a while.

"How's your dinner?" I look up at Yunho.

"Oh, it's wonderful. I've never had steak like this before."

"Oh, really? Well, I'm glad." Yunho smiled at me before going back to his own dinner.

"So, what's next on our agenda?" I asked before shoveling more mashed potatoes into my mouth. 

"Agenda?"

"Yeah, where are you taking me next or did you plan on just having dinner with me and then ditching me?"

"No! I didn't really plan that far ahead. I've been out of the dating game for a while." I look up at that.

"Why's that? A good lookin' guy like you? There has to be a line so long waiting to date you, you can't see the end."

He waves his hand as if to say it's no big thing. "Oh, just some things at home and work. My job isn't something most people would want their partner to be doing. To dangerous for most." 

"What's the family thing?" When I look at him he looks away and stares at anything but me. "Look if you don't want to tell me it's no big deal. I get it. It's private and we barely know each other." He looks up at me and smiles.

"Thank you."

"No problem." We go back to eating for a while before he speaks again.

"So, what do you want to do?"

"Can you bowl?" He looks at me and when he sees I'm serious he chuckles to himself.

"Yes, I can bowl. Do you like to bowl?"

"Well, actually I have no idea. I've never tried but I heard from one of my friends that it's fun, especially on a date."

''Well then, it's decided. We're going bowling and I'll teach you." He smiles at me and I smile back before we go back to finishing our food.

***

"Shoe size." The very obviously bored attendant asked.

"10.5 or 11, please." I reply. He looks at Yunho and waits.

"Same." The man goes back grabbing two pairs before coming back to the counter and sprays them. At my questioning look Yunho leans over and whispers in my ear.

"It's to disinfect them since they're rentals. Don't want to be sued for giving someone a foot fungus." While he speaks his breath warms my neck and I shiver, the feeling of him being so close nice and comforting. 

"Ah." I nod and take the shoes from the bored man. Yunho pays for the lane and we head off to pick out our balls.

"So, you'll want one that's not light enough that you can lift it above your head but not one so heavy that you can't swing it without hurting yourself. 

"Ok!" After picking the balls we went down to our lane. Yunho put the information into the computer. 

"Do you want to go first?"

"Doesn't matter to me. You'll be helping for a while anyway." He goes back to putting in the information.

"So that you can see how it's done I'll go first." He turns back to me and I put my thumb up.

"Roger!" 

Yunho picks up his ball and walks up to the lane. There's already someone up there so he lets him go first. (Lane etiquette) When the other guy is all done, Yunho takes a step forward and gets set. I'm watching him when he takes another step and then I'm watching his . He's got a good . He turns around when he's done and I look up at his face, afraid I would be caught and he would think I was staring at his crotch. 

"Do you understand?"

"What?"

"Didn't you watch?"

"Umm..."

"It's ok, I have to go again since I still have a pin up so make sure to watch." He walks over to where we had put our drinks and takes a drink before leaning over and whispering "Make sure to watch my form and not my this time." My face lights up and I look up at his smirking face. He goes again and this time I actually watch him.

"I don't think I can do that." I tell him when he comes back.

"Sure you can. You don't have to do it like I did since I've been playing longer and you're just starting. All you have to do is walk, swing the ball and release it."

"Ok!" I walk up and grab my ball putting my fingers in the holes. While I'm standing up there waiting for my turn a body aligns itself with mine, one hand goes to my waist while the other to my right arm. I turn around and look into Yunho's smiling face. "What are you doing?"

"Teaching. Look, it's your turn." I focus back on the lane. "Ok, so heres what you're going to do." Yunho whispers in my ear. The feel of his breath sends shivers down my spine. He takes his left hand off my waist and puts both hands on mine. "You're going to swing the ball back while taking a couple steps." As he says this we take a step together and swing the ball back. "Swing the ball forward." Ball swings forward. "And release." Released. The ball rolls down the middle of lane before moving to the left and takes out three pins. 

"YAY!!" I jump up and down at my small accomplishment. "I did it, I did it, I did it!" I turn around doing my victory dance until I see Yunho. He's laughing. 

"You are so cute." I blush, looking down at my feet to try and hide the excitement I just know is in my eyes. "Well, it's still your turn so."

"Okay!" I put my serious face on, pick up my ball and start again. Yunho doesn't help this time. Just before I start to swing an idea comes to me. I look over my shoulder quick to make sure he's looking and then I stick my out a little and wiggle it. I bring my arm back and bowl. 

***

210 to 75. I pout as I look at our ending scores. You can probably guess which is mine. 

"It's ok. This is your first time. Don't be so hard on yourself." I pout a second more then turn to him. 

"One more game?" I look at him, sticking my right index finger in there air and add some aegyo for extra measure. I can tell he is going to give in when his cell phone rings.

"Oh, excuse me." He takes it out and looks at the number. "I have to take this. I'll be back." As he walks away he answers and I can here the beginning of what he says. "Hello? Oh, Jinri what's up? Uh, what? Hold on there's little signal...." 

'Who's Jinri?' I wondered. 'Girlfriend? Ex-girlfriend? Wife? No, it couldn't be. He's out on a date with me. That I asked for. Maybe he's just too nice to refuse. Oh, shut up, Changmin. You're over reacting. You have girl friends. That's what this is. Jinri's his friend.' He came walking up.

"Sorry, Changmin, but can we get a rain check on the next game? Something came up and I have to leave. I hope you don't mind?" Of course I do.

"No, that's no problem. Is everything ok?"

"Oh yeah, just something at home." He looks anxiously at the door. 

"Go ahead. I'll be fine." He looks back at me.

"Really? Are you sure you don't want me to drive you home?" I wave my hand.

"No, no it's fine. I'll just call Daniel to come get me. He lives close to here, remember?"

"Ah yes, that's right. Well, if  it's ok I really have to go.'

"No, go ahead." He smiles a reluctant smile.

"I'm really sorry about this. I'll call you." With that he turns and leaves, almost running out the door.

I take out my phone and dial Daniel.

"Hello?"

"Uh, Daniel?"

"Nope, this is Youngwon."

"What are you still doing there?" 

"Well, we were sleeping until you called and then I woke up to answer. Got a problem with it?" Yes, I very much do have a problem with it.

"Whatever. Either wake up Daniel or you come pick me up."

"Why, what about, how's Daniel put it, Tall, Handsomes and Delicious? Where's he?"

"Something came up and he had to leave. Just come pick me up."

"Fine, fine. Where are you?" I tell him where I am and we hang up. As I wait for Youngwon, I get a text. 

I had a really great time. Sorry about having to leave. I hope we can do it again soon. Good night. Yunho. As I read it a smile creeps onto my face. I knew I had been panicking for nothing.

"What are you smiling about?" Youngwon looks at me as he drives me home.

"None of your buisness." We get to my house and say goodbye. As I got dressed for bed I couldn't help but smile and as I lie there I though of the date and hoped that we would meet again in our dreams. 

I admit it. As clique as it is, I, Max Changmin, have fallen, hard, for Jung Yunho.