From Nagging Hens to Darkness

I Love My Boss (On Hiatus)

 

"Are you sure you don't want me to take you?" 

"No Hyung, I'm fine. I don't need to be babied. I'm a big boy."

"Fine. But I'm going to see you to the bus and when you get on the subway you're going to call. You're also going to call when you get to work."

"Oh, come on-"

"Nope. Those  are my conditions. If you don't like them then I'm taking you to work."

"Aish! You're too overprotective you know that?"

"Only with you babe." I stick my tongue out at him at that and continue to get changed. Changmin had let me sleep in a half hour while he took care of the pets so I was running a little behind and his nagging was not helping. I know he means well especially after what happened but come on. I slip on my shirt and in my haste the buttons end up in the wrong holes. "Apparently you do need to be babied." Changmin comes up and undoes the buttons and then buttones them correctly. After he finishes I grabb my briefcase and jacket before heading to the kitchen to grab my lunch. I kiss Zico on his corded head and yell goodbye to the ducks. No time to say goodbye to Ted I'm afraid. 

"Hurry up, Hyung. I'm going to be late!" I walk out and wait until Changmin comes out and we walk to the bus stop. We had been there for only a couple minutes when the bus arrives and I board. 

"See you later, yoebo!" Changmin yells when I sat down and everyone turns slightly to stare. I look out at him and flip him off. He just smiles and waves as the bus rolls away.

***

"No, Changmin. I was not mugged or molested in the subway and I am now entering the building." I look at the person standing closets to me, Moon Hee a janitor (*not Moon Hee Jun), and clap a hand to my check. He just looks at me weird and continues with his work. "Oh no! This man looks like a creeper. Help me!!......Gosh Changmin take it easy it was a joke. Fine I'll see you later." I hang up the phone and smile to myself. Silly Changmin. Looking at my watch I see I was late and head straight for the elevators. Just as the doors are about to close and take me up a hand comes between the doors (*oh I can't believe I wrote that). The doors open again and standing there is Siwon. "Well, good morning . How are you today." However, this did not get the usual reaction.

"Are you ok?" I give him a puzzled look and he steps into the lift.  "The break in? I read about it in the papers."

"Wow, that fast? Them reporters are good."

"Who cares about them. I want to know if you're ok."

"I'm fine. Nothing happened. I just forgot to close the backdoor and he somehow climbed the fence. I'm still wondering how though."

"Well, I guess as long as you're fine."

"I am so you can go and busy your pretty head with other useless stuff like hitting on one of the new interns."

"You know I really lik-"

"Yeah, I'll believe that when pigs fly. Bye, ." I know I'm being kind of mean but I have enough worry coming from Changmin I don't need it from Captian . I step out of the elevator and walk to my desk. As I'm preparing Mr. Lee's desk he walks in and stopps when he sees me. 

"Daniel, what are you doing here?"

"Umm, I'm getting your desk prepared, sir. Like I do every morning."

"No, that's not what I mean. Why are you here? You should be home resting. You just went throu-"

"Please, sir, you can stop there. I know what I went through and I know that if I was home I would either worry to much or kill my friend. He stayed with me last night and he really likes to nag." I know I shouldn't have interrupted him, him being my superior and all, but I am fine. I just need to work.

"Well, I guess I can't stop you from working. You can take an extra 15 minute lunch if you need it." He comes to sit at his desk and hands me his coat. I place it on the coat rack and tell him his schedule for the day. After I am finished he gave me a stack of papers to copy and I am off to fill my head with meaningless work. 

At lunch Yoseob comes to take me to lunch and thankfully he only asks one question. "Want to talk about it?" I say no and that was all he needed to hear. In order to cheer me up he suggests we skip to the cafeteria which we do, laughing and smiling the whole time. While we were talking about the color Yoseob is going to paint his kitchen, he's thinking a light orange or yellow, I feel a prickle on my neck. My hand goes up to hold my neck and I look around the caf not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Just a couple random employees and Moon Hee. "What's the matter?"

"Oh nothing. I must just be tired." He gives me a worried look before looking at the clock. "Oh, time to go back!" We collect our stuff and leave the caf throwing our stuff away on the way. The prickling hasn't gone away so I turn one last time to look at the cafeteria and see that Moon Hee has been staring at us but dropped his gaze when I turned around. Huh.

***

The day is over and it has been extremely uneventful except for my visit from Capitan Stiff and lunch. I'm packing up my stuff when Mr. Lee walks out of his office and comes over to me. "Do you need a ride home today, Daniel?" My checks immediately turn a beet red and I decline.

"No, sir. But thank you."

"Are you sure? It's no problem to me."

"Oh, no I'm fine."

"Okay. You can always call me if you need to, you know." If it's even possible more blood enters my checks and I stutter a reply.

"Y-yes, sir. T-hank you."

"No problem. Oh, I just remembered something. I'll see you tomorrow, Daniel."

"Y-es, sir. Goodbye." I left then checks still ablaze, praying to the Gods that he hadn't noticed and yet somewhere in the way back of my head hoping he had.

When I arrive at the bottom floor I dial Changmins number and get a busy signal. So I text him and start to leave when my neck begins to tingle again. I look around but the only people there are Margo, Moon Hee, and Taemin a new intern. I say bye to Margo as I pass and wave to Moon Hee who nods back. I head to the subway and have to wait an hour because of delays. After about a half hour of waiting the tingling had returned and I start to worry. I go to call Changmin and that's when my phone decides it would be a perfect time to die. I was just starting to think about going back to the office to see if Mr. Lee was still there when the train arrives.

I get off at my stop and start walking to the bus stop. Since I'm an hour behind schedule the sun has already mostly set and it's dark. Not many people are around but the tingling has now grown to a crawl and I'm uneasy. I quicken my pace until I think about how paranoid I'm being. I slow down only to hear another pair of shoes slow behind me. Not turning around I grip my briefcase tighter and pretend to look at my watch before quickening my pace again. I can hear the footstep pick up their pace as well and this is where I really start to panic. Though such as 'Why hadn't I taken that ride with Mr. Lee?' 'Why did my phone have to die?' and 'Why didn't I allow Changmin to pick me up?' run through my head. Just to make sure my paranoid brain isn't playing tricks on me I slow but hear no steps behind me. I turn around to look and see no one and am about to keep walking when a hand reaches out of the dark ally I just happened to have stopped next to and grabs my arm dragging me down the ally and into darkness. I'm able to yell out one thing before a hand coverers my mouth and I'm pushed against a dirty wall.

"CHANGMIN!"