Close Quarters

Thank You, LSY

A large group of business men and women joined us while waiting for the elevator. The doors opened and a few laughing men in suits walked out of them. The herd of business men and women that had gathered became vicious, fighting for a spot in the elevator. There was an empty space in the corner. I ran over and leaned against the cool metal walls. The crowd shoved Sungyeol around like a lost puppy. I gripped his hand firmly and pulled with all my might. Suddenly he was flying at me.

We collided and our bodies pressed against each other. He lost his balance and threw both of his hands against the metal walls on either side of my head. I was pinned. I shut my eyes and held my breath, hoping he couldn't feel heart beat through my chest. Finally curiosity got the best of me and I looked up at his face. How was he reacting to our collision? My eyes widened. He'd been staring directly at me the entire time. His eyes drifted calmly around my face; from my nose, to my lips, to my increasingly red cheeks. Finally his eyes caught mine. We stood there, bodies pressed against each other, eyes locked, and slightly panting for the entire ride. Neither of us paid any attention to who had gotten on and off at each floor. Neither one of us realized we were completely alone until the doors opened for the very last time. We had reached our destination.

I shoved my way past the seemingly frozen Sungyeol and left the elevator. I shook my head. What exactly just happened? Why couldn't I breathe? Why couldn't my heart stop pounding? And those eyes.... Why couldn't I just look away? I wanted to tell him to stop looking at me, to back up. But everything in me said to get closer. I was overwhelmed and disappointed all at the same time. I turned around to see if he was still with me. Sungyeol's wide eyes dashed back and forth to different spots on the ground. The wheels in his brain were not only turning, but spinning out of control, crashing around in his head. "Aishhh..." he mumbled, hitting his head with the palm of his hand. He was just as confused as I was. I shook my head even harder, trying to shake this mess out of my ears before he caught up to me. 

"Yah, where are we going?" He said as he trotted up beside me.

Instead of answering I stopped walking and pointed through the large glass doors we were about to enter. Sungyeol furrowed his brow in the same cute way he had before. "Aishhh" I mumbled as I used my finger to force his eyebrows back to normal for the second time that day. "I said don't make that face at me." I repeated, this time with a bit more ferociousness.

I stomped forward, no longer caring if he was behind me or not. I burst through the glass doors into the seemingly average office, walked over to the desk, opened one of its drawers and found the key I had taped to the bottom of it years ago. I didn't even glance at Sungyeol as I used it to open the closet in the far corner of the room. When I opened the door I laid eyes on the staircase I had so desperately missed. 

"Whoa...” I heard him whisper.

"Well," I said, finally looking back at him, "are you coming or what?"

He hurriedly ran over to me as I entered the stair case, locking the door behind us. As we arrived at the last few steps I turned back at the still marveling boy. "I hope you're not afraid of heights..." I warned as we stepped onto the roof of the building. There wasn't really much on the roof itself, so I lead Sungyeol to the edge of the old wall I used to look over.

"Please explain. The office, the desk, the key.... it all seems a little too Nancy Drew for me..." his voice trailed off as he looked at the unbelievable view. You could see the entire city from here. Every power walking business man, every tired mother and crying child, every savy street vendor, every house, every building, everything. I knew his wheels would be turning too hard to speak if I brought him here. I knew he would have to just sit and soak it in, hopefully calming him down for the rest of the day. Once I started seeing the wheels slow down I began to explain.

"My mom works a lot. She kind of always has. When I was little I used to get off the bus and go straight to her office because I couldn't be home alone. I became somewhat of a mascot for the building, wandering around, running errands here and there. One day I got so bored out of my mind her boss gave me a key to his office and showed me that secret passage. I would come up here every day and just stare at the city from above, pretending I was the king of the world. When my mom's office moved outside the city I hid the key and just kept coming here. It reminded me of the times when my mother was around. I could come here and pretend that nothing had changed. That I was still king of the world and she was a just staircase away in her office doing work. That I could see her any time I want." I managed to work my way back into the sadness I had worked so diligently to get over this morning. Every time I came here I was reminded that my house was empty. I was reminded that I was alone. 

I took my eyes off the city and looked at the ground, fighting tears. Sungyeol began to study me instead of the city. He reached over and pulled at my shoulders. Suddenly his long, lanky arms were firmly wrapped around me, warming me from the inside out. A few sobs escaped my lips and were swallowed by his wide, solid chest. I can't remember the last time anyone held me like this.

"It's okay," he said softly in my ear, "I'm here now. You have me. I won’t leave you like she did. I don't care if we just met. No one has enough strength to face the world on their own. Not even L, the Lucky Lady Lover." I chuckled into his chest between sobs. "From this day on I'll be forever by your side." We separated a bit and I stared up at his smiling face. He was so bright, so warm. My eyes drifted down his neck. He had a birth mark southwest of his Adam’s apple. My eyes went lower. Another birthmark on his collarbone. The two looked as if they should be connected. I traced a line from one to the other with the tip of my nose and he shivered a bit. When I pressed my face back to his chest we were both chuckling, holding each other tightly, thinking excitedly about the friendship that had bloomed so quickly. If this was only after a few hours, what would the rest of our lives bring forth? I was giddy just thinking about it.


 

[AUTHOR'S NOTE]

Well. That sure went by fast! Doesn't it feel like they've know eachother for forever <3 Oh myungyeol how I love you so! I'm so happy you guys are enjoying this as much as I am!!! Just so you know I get really excited by comments and end up getting super pumped and finishing/starting chapters like no bodies business. WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT? :O let me know what you think!! :3 

PS. I'm always always ALWAYS open for suggestions on ways to make my writing better or maybe even plot twists..? idk just message me your thoughts and I'll be sure to get back to you. THANKS <3