Final

My Devil Playmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Dara]

 

   I had a hard time processing what I was seeing before my eyes. It was no surprise that the resort of the private island was packed with security guards and surveillance cameras, no doubt giving the owner and visitors plenty of privacy. Nor was it strange that the vast landscape and buildings of the resort seemed like a great spot for vacationing and weddings. It was typical of the wealthy people, and I was unfazed by it. By the drive up to the lobby, I had spotted a golf course and luxurious swimming pools, but nothing prepared me for the shock I was in when I saw the two people in the lobby.

 

   Chaerin, wearing a feminine leopard dress very uncharacteristic of her, had become much more sophisticated and girlish than the tough, boyish CL I remember. Her hair was now in long, auburn waves, and she was wearing more make-up than before. Gone was the outgoing, tomboy-like girl, and in her place, was a more polished and attractive woman. Jiyong, looking dashing as always in a tailored suit, looked more mature and chiseled than I remember him to be. There were some stubble on him (Very manly, I may add) and hints of dark circles under his eyes that were probably from work, but other than that, he was no less perfect. He hadn’t changed much, but at the same time, he seemed like a complete stranger in my eyes. Our eyes met for a moment, and I had to tear my eyes away from him to avoid drowning in the memories of the past. What was going on?

 

   “Unni!” Minzy shouted, the first of us to break the unmoving and awkward positions we were in, embracing CL tightly. “I did not know you were coming too! You arrived before us?”

 

   CL, no longer fierce and confident, suddenly looked uncertain, darting her eyes between each of us nervously. It was not like her to be this way. I noticed that she avoided looking at Seungri. “Um, yes, about that...”

 

   I suddenly wanted to run away right there, the truth dawning at me what was happening. Could it get any more obvious? All of us came here for a wedding between two people we know, and-what a coincidence!-there are two people who did not board the same plane as us, and showed up at the resort before us. Kwon Jiyong and Lee Chaerin. The invitations did not say who was the bride and groom, but it makes perfect sense now; a person like Kwon Jiyong getting married would evoke a lot of criticism and attention from the public eye, so that’s why there were no names on the invitations. Even if someone picked it up, they would have no idea it was their wedding. Heck, even we were in the dark. Private island? It was something that Jiyong would’ve come up with.

 

   How did this happen?! One of my oldest best friends and my ex-fiancée-slash-childhood-playmate getting married?! It should be a good thing, it IS a good thing...except for the fact that...it was wrong! Although it sounds dumb of me, I still care for Jiyong. I may have been the one who chose this life I wanted over being with him, but it doesn’t mean that I have stopped caring about him. All these years, there has never been a day that I did not regret and asked myself what could’ve been. Why haven’t they told me anything beforehand? Of course they had the right to get together...it was not as if Jiyong’s really bound to me forever. It’s just...CL was my best friend, and she never mentioned anything about marriage or Kwon Jiyong to me! I had always thought that she was still dating Seungri-

 

   Turning around to face Seungri, I could tell that he was in complete shock, and perhaps had come to the same conclusion I did. His face paled, and his hands were balled into fists. Observing the wide-eyed TOP and Bom, I can pretty much tell that none of us had been prepared for this. Well, looking on the bright side, I am not the only one who they had not informed.

 

   “...Welcome to my wedding?” CL managed to whisper softly, her voice echoing in the lobby as no one made a sound. Minzy immediately let go of her, jaw dropping to the ground. Similar reactions went to Daesung and Taeyang, who probably did not get it at first sight. While everyone else’s bewildered eyes was on CL, I could feel the one pair of eyes focused on me, but I refused to look up to meet his gaze. I was a coward, beyond frightened to see whatever his eyes may tell me. That he was apologetic, maybe, for loving someone else? The love he felt for her? Curiosity at my reaction?

 

   “Your...but...I thought that...he...huh...” Daesung sputtered in gibberish, looking at CL, Seungri, and Jiyong, then at each of us in confusion.

 

   “You better explain.” Bom crossed her arms in front of her chest, seeming to speak to CL, but was staring unblinkingly at Jiyong. “You owe all of us an explanation.”

 

   CL turned to Jiyong with pleading eyes, and as wrong as it was, I feel envy burning up towards her.

 

   “I’m sure everyone’s tired from the flight,” Jiyong spoke up, his voice as silky and tender as I remember. “We can talk after everyone has settled down. I’ll give everyone the keys to the suites, and you can rest for a bit.” With that, a uniform-wearing member of the staff appeared, bowing politely before handing us each key. Even after getting the key, no one moved, but I needed to escape, stalking out at once. I wasn’t sure if the direction I was heading was correct or not; it did not matter. My best friend and the guy I love getting married. This...this...

 

   After dumping my luggage on the king bed and kicking off my shoes, I opened the door to the wide balcony facing the sea, the salty wind hitting me hard across the face like reality. Unable to hold back my emotions, I sobbed quietly, tears unable to disguise themselves any longer. Is this what I deserve? Because I did not seize my chance when I had the possibility to be with Jiyong? Instead I had abandoned him, and chose my family and company. Right. In that case, I really do deserve it. Now he found someone worthier of his attention and love. Who am I to blame any of them? I was the one held responsible making that decision in the first place.

 

   “Noona...” Seungri appeared beside me, stepping onto the balcony. His face looked haggard and worn out as if he had aged ten years just then. “You...you didn’t know it was them, did you?”

 

   “Nope, I had thought that you were still dating CL,” I mumbled, wiping my tears away. He needed comfort more than I needed to drown in self=pity.

 

   “We were but...a few weeks ago, we got into a huge fight,” Seungri confessed. “Since then, none of us wanted to be the one to bow down, so we did not call or see each other. But...I didn’t know it would be like this! Married?! To Jiyong hyung? How could this happen? We had just fought weeks ago, and now she’s getting married to hyung?” His words were full of anguish and disbelief, and I hugged him, feeling his pain more than mine. “I can’t believe it. This can’t be real! None of this is real!” He looked at me miserably. “Noona, this isn’t fair! Why would Chaerin do such a thing? Doesn’t she know how much it hurts?” Seungri rested his head on my shoulders, and for a moment, we stood there in the presence of the sea, with no sound but muffled crying and the howling wind.

 

 

 

 

 

   If I had my way, I would’ve stubbornly stayed in the suite, watching corny K-dramas on the bed and crying my eyes out with boxes of tissues at my side. After Seungri left, I sat on the bed for what seemed like years, pondering over everything. It made no sense, and it does not add up no matter how many times or what ways I try to think. So in the end, I decided that I will not think, or else I will go crazy. As for the wedding? I will lie to them, saying that I’m too sick to stand up straight, and have it go on without me.

 

   Coward. Cowardly Dara.

 

   Someone rang the doorbell to my suite, and I sighed, preparing my well-rehearsed excuse to get out of the wedding when I opened the door. The person in front of me, however, drained me out of the words I planned to say.

 

   “Dara.” Jiyong walked in my suite casually, no trace of the awkwardness I had.

 

   “Jiyong,” I replied curtly, not bothering to close the door because there would be no need for him to stay long for chitchat. I will definitely tell him that there is no way I’m attending the wedding...yes, I will...

 

   “How is the suite? Anything you need? You can always call the staff if there is anything unsatisfactory,” he pointed out, sitting on the sofa, blinking at me. It was hard to see what was on his mind and whether his words have another meaning. It was laughable how I had grown accustomed to be able to read clients and employees, but fail at the presence of Jiyong.

 

   “The suite is quite wonderful, and I shall keep that in mind if I ever have the need to,” I told him politely. Is it just me, or is this reun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter