I Heard I'm Getting Engaged

My Devil Playmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[Dara]

 

        “Now that Sandara’s here, we can get down to business.” Grandfather coughed, but nevertheless remained the stern figure he was, as the previous leader of the Park Enterprise. “Since the Kwons had already agreed, I say we have no reason to refuse. It is a win-win situation for both sides, as well as upholding an honor between our two families. The history of the Kwons and the Parks has been…”

 

        “Grandfather,” I cut in, wincing as I thought of how he may rebuke me for my bad manners. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but I don’t know what you’re talking about. What is this about?”

 

        “This is about your engagement.”

 

[Dara]

 

        “This…is too surreal,” I whispered. I’m pretty sure if cameras are filming me right now, I’d appear like a maniac that escaped for the asylum. However, in reality, I’m not the crazy one; it’s everyone else!

 

       “Sandara,” my grandfather reprimanded sternly. “It has been decided, and you will go through with it. That is all.”

 

        Something broke inside of me. I’m a good person, I’m an obedient daughter and granddaughter, I’m a loyal friend, I’m a good citizen. At the end, it was going to bite back at me, and I’ll realize just how stupid goody-goody people are for following rules and orders only to be taken advantage of! I heard myself laughing shrilly, without feeling any mirth at all. “That’s ALL?! Do you understand what you’re saying right now?”

 

        “Dara! Manners-“ Dad ordered, but that was useless against me now.

 

        “Are you all MAD?!” I shrieked, whipping my head to glare at them. My mother refused to meet my gaze, and started to weep uncontrollably. Dad was opening his mouth to say something, then closing it, apparently in shock at how his daughter is reacting like a barbarian. The only calm person in this room was Grandfather, who sat there drinking his tea as if this was an eight o-‘clock drama taking place on the television.

 

        “You think you can SELL off your daughter, or granddaughter”-I contested in the direction of Grandfather –“to some stranger, just to get a few easy bucks?! This is the 21st century! Those things aren’t supposed to exist anymore! This whole thing is RIDICULOUS!”

 

        “THAT’S ENOUGH!” Grandfather slammed his teacup back onto the glass table with more force than I had ever estimated him to have. I shut my mouth, but refused to back down from our glaring contest. Does he expect me to be calm about this, and accept it with a smile?

 

        Taking a deep breath, Grandfather went on. “It’s not some stranger, it’s the Kwons! Do I need to remind you of our ancient ties with the Kwon family? Or shall I repeat some of our family history for you, Sandara? The Parks are always tied to the Kwons!

 

        “It’s not, as you put it, for some ‘easy bucks’. It’s for the sake of our entire company, our family name, and even including your own future. The Kwons are holding almost half of our shares, Sandara.” I gulped, knowing exactly what that means. And fearing for my life, because I could hear the frail, tired frustration in Grandfather’s voice, which was beyond foreign for me.“I am not a man of recklessness or greed, but this situation cannot be undone or helped. If we agree to this pact, the Kwons and Parks will be tied by marriage. If we don’t…goodness knows what Hyun Suk might do.” He said the last sentence in such a low whisper that I almost missed it.

 

        “Jiyong is a very talented young man. If it weren’t for that, I would never have considered agreeing to this. But seeing as he is, perhaps, a ‘rare find’, as you youngsters may call it, I deem him suitable for my only grandchild. I highly doubt that I will find a more accomplished and honorable young man elsewhere. Not only is he responsible and mature enough to take the duties as a heir, but he will also be of assistance when the time comes that he will help you with managing Parks Enterprises-”

 

        “But Grandfather, I’m more than able to manage by myself!” I begged. “Why should I count on HIM to-“

 

        “No great empire could be established, nor managed, by one person, Sandara.” Grandfather looked at me sternly, rebuking me for my immaturity in his gaze. “We make our own choices, because we have confidence in ourselves. But we listen to others, because we have humbleness and modesty to learn what we are lacking in. Kwon Jiyong is very compatible for you in this area.”

 

[TOP]

 

        I wasn’t surprised that she called me so late. We’ve been talking on the phone every night for a while now. However, I was surprised at what she said to me the moment I picked up.

 

        “I need to get out of here. Come pick me up…please?”

 

        It wasn’t like her. She was bright and warm like the sunshine. Even her voice would sound like blooming sunflowers and bubbly soda. It was hard to explain, but it just was. That voice…disappeared. It had turned into the splatter of raindrops on the pavement. Like the empty howl of the wind of a cold winter night. I knew something was wrong. I wasted no time in speeding to pick her up at her house. Without a word, not even the cheerful greeting I was accustomed to, she sat behind me on my motorcycle, and held me close, wrapping her slim arms around me.

 

        “Get me out of here.” I couldn’t agree more. I need to get her out of whatever’s looming over her, and casting over her usual sunshine.

 

        At the back of my mind, I was screaming at myself to drive safely for her sake, but the needle of the speedometer indicated that I was speeding up, faster and faster. The cool night air turned into a beast that lashed out at me, but I didn’t care, since I know I was protecting her from the fierceness of the wind. If I had my way, I would’ve kept on speeding, and headed to the next county that exact night. However, I didn’t.

 

       This wasn’t for me, this was for her.

 

       Stopping at a bridge that overlooked the entire city, I took off my helmet slowly and waiting for her to do the same. It was actually a place I had fantasized about making my first confession…but of course, that’s out the window. The city skyline casted twinkling lights over the river, making the surface glitter with every rippling of the water.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter