Better Than Revenge

My Devil Playmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Bom]

 

      I had trouble keeping calm as I watch more and more people wearing suits and formal wear walk into the meeting room. Even though Dara and Jiyong’s wedding came to a halt, stirring much discussion everywhere, it had not stopped Mr. Kwon, the hideous man who I am ashamed to admit is my biological father, from carrying out his plans. He had called a meeting among the fellow shareholders of Park Enterprise, no doubt going to overthrow the Park family from their spot in the company.

 

      A hand patted my shoulder reassuringly, and I turned back to see TOP. There was nothing we could do now. We could stop the wedding, but we could not stop Mr. Kwon. The facts are hard to accept, but still there. Mr. Kwon had a lot of shares, and adding the members who he had persuaded to stand by him, he would have over half of the votes today. There was no way that Dara’s family could win them. We could not contact Jiyong or Dara, so there was really no one to stop this man now. I can only pray that the people in this room see him for who he really is, and put a stop to his plans.

 

      Dara’s grandfather was the last person to enter the room, taking his seat in between Dara’s parents, both looking grave and concerned. Ever since Dara and Jiyong had gone missing from the wedding scene yesterday, they were extremely worried about their only daughter, even after police and private investigators were sent to search everywhere for her. And now this. However, Dara’s grandfather did not look frail or scared; he sat there with dignity as he observed everyone around him calmly.

 

      “As many of you know, I had bought a lot of shares from Park Enterprises, as they had come to a near-bankruptcy before,” Mr. Kwon took the initiative to speak. “By this, I’m sure it’s enough to inform all of you that the Parks are unable to keep Park Enterprises up and running. Like all of you, I am deeply concerned of this...” His words lost their sounds as I glared at my father, cannot believe that he could twist truths just to get his way and his money. Was money really that important to him?

 

      Halfway through his speech to overthrow the Parks and elect a new chairperson, Dara’s grandfather interrupted, “Hyun Suk, have you forgotten? The Parks are always tied to the Kwons.”

 

      Mr. Kwon laughed mockingly. “Ah, this old man. Still sprouting nonsense as always.” He turned to face the other shareholders in the room, checking their reactions. “There have been rumors that Mr. Park is mad and is no longer suitable to lead Park Enterprise. I suppose this confirms them.” Anger fumed from inside of me. How dare he? To my astonishment, some people were nodding and discussing in quite tones, seeming to agree with him.

 

      The door slammed open, reveiling Eun Joo and an elderly woman by her side. By the resemblance of her features to Jiyong’s and Mr. Kwon’s, I knew she was Grandma Kwon. Short and petite, with elegance and grace like she ought to have, she looked like she wouldn’t even harm a fly. I knew she spent most of her time in France, her homeland, and that was the reason why I have not seen her before. Wearing a wool sweater and a dainty purple skirt, she walked slowly into the room, heading towards her son.

 

      “Hyun Suk!” She yelled unabashedly, hitting Mr. Kwon’s head with her big tote bag. “How dare you! I came here to attend my only grandson’s wedding only to find him missing! And here you are, stealing other people’s companies?! The nerves of you, rascal! Is this how I raised you to be?!” Mr. Kwon yelped as Grandma Kwon continuously beat him on the head brutually. Grandma Kwon turned to face Dara’s grandfather with a soft, apologetic expression on her face, bowing slightly. “My most sincere apologies to you. I had never dreamed that my own good-for-nothing son would do such a thing. The shares will be returned rightfully by the end of today, I shall make sure of that.” Turning back to Mr. Kwon, she kept hitting him, herding him out of the room. “You will surely pay for this! Putting our name to shame! Have you forgotten about our ties to the Parks-“

 

      After Mr. Kwon and Grandma Kwon left, the room was filled with silence, with no one sure of what to do next. Dara’s grandfather cleared his throat, and said briskly, “With that being said, the Parks are again holding more than half of our own shares. Is there anyone who would like to overthrow me?” No one dare to speak, some even holding their breaths, scared to make a sound. “Delightful. Now, if you will excuse me, we have to continue to look for my granddaughter and Kwon Jiyong. We are sorry to have wasted everyone’s precious time.” With that, he left the room, with Dara’s parents following after him.

 

      Muttering and bickering, the other shareholders also left, leaving only TOP and I in slight shock at what just happened. Both of us could only stare at one another at the unforeseen change of events, and was unable to speak or move until TOP’s phone rang.

 

      “It’s Dara,” he quickly told me, pressing his phone for the loudspeaker, before answering. “Hello? Dara? Bom is here with me at your company. Where are you?”

 

      “I’m at the Kwon mansion.” Dara’s easygoing voice chirped brightly. “I was going to head over to the company, but I heard that the meeting was over.”

 

      “Yes it was, thanks to Grandma Kwon,” TOP chuckled. “I guess you also know about the fact that your company is safe from Mr. Kwon’s hands, right?”

 

      “Yes. But it’s not the end of things. I called my parents, and apparently the police are going to arrest Mr. Kwon at the mansion.”

 

      “What?” TOP and I both exclaimed.

 

      “It concerns another company he had merged with as well as some illegal actions he took. Even though I’m not ecstatic to see him again, Eun Joo and Grandma Kwon needs our family there with them now, and well...Jiyong too. So I’m heading there now.” This day keeps getting better and better. Not only is Dara’s company safe, Mr. Kwon gets jailed. Serves him right. “Thanks for helping me, I can take it from here now.”

 

      “How’s Jiyong?” I couldn’t stop myself from asking, concerned about my half-brother. I knew it was hard for him to cope with everything, and that it was not his intentions to take it this far in the first place. Even though TOP and I both felt it was the right thing to do to spill everything to Dara, we both feel guilty that we can ruined Jiyong’s wedding. I can only imagine what had happened after he found out Dara escaped.

 

      Dara did not answer for a while, but I can see her plastering a smile on her face when I heard her say, “He’s okay. We talked things over, and it’s all good between us.” I was not satisfied by this answer, but I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter