Family Affairs and Double Dating

My Devil Playmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[THIRD PERSON]

 

        “Jiyong-ah, you’re finally home-“ His mother smiled warmly at her son, getting up from the luxurious plush sofa to greet him.

 

        “I’ve decided.”

 

        Mrs Kwon paled at the sudden announcement of her son the moment he stepped into the living room. Slowly putting down the book she was reading, Eun Joo looked at her son’s eyes, desperately wishing that she will see a hint of hesitation or any other indication that he was lying. She didn’t.

 

        “Yong-ah.” Eun Joo’s faint voice was a barely audible whisper. The moment she dreaded the most…was playing before her eyes, and there was nothing she could do to stop it from happening. “Y-Y-You still have time to think it over, there’s no rush-“

 

        “You’re wrong, mother.” The bitterness lashed out before Jiyong could stop himself. He didn’t want to anyways; he had enough of holding himself back. “I’m beginning to think it may be too late.”

 

They had the same clear blue eyes, mother and son, except that, at that moment, Eun Joo noticed the determination and hard look in those eyes resemble someone else’s…

 

        “Hyun Suk.”

 

        “How was the date, son?” Hyun Suk addressed Jiyong, leading him to sit on the sofa. “I could see some chemistry between the two of you. Ah, young love…”

 

        “Father, I’ve made up my mind. When are we going to start?” Jiyong calmly announced, causing Hyun Suk to look up in surprise.

 

        “Why…Why, that’s good news!” Hyun Suk exclaimed in mirth. “This is even better than your date with Sandara! Eun Joo! Go get us some of that fine, imported wine! My little boy has grown up, and this is a moment worth celebrating!”

 

        Eun Joo only nodded as she headed back to the kitchen. She could hear Hyun Suk’s delighted voice explaining all his marvelous plans and dreams. Yes, as Eun Joo smiled sadly, this was the moment Hyun Suk has been dreaming of, and ironically enough, it was the moment she hoped would never come. At one point, it did seem possible that the whole thing would disappear into dust, and Hyun Suk would have no choice but to forget about it. Who knew…who knew…

 

 

 

 

 

        Later deep in the night, when the city was asleep, Jiyong sat on his bed, resting his head on his palms. Maybe it was due to the heavy liquor, the bottles on his bedside table evidence of the deed, that he was getting a pounding headache that made him want to smash all of his glass cabinets to pieces. That was precisely what he did.

 

        “Ahhhhh!” The deafening, tortured roar that came strangled from his mouth had made the sound of crashing glass sound like nothing but a faint imagination.

 

        The fancily-ornamented steel picture frame that was the only decoration amid all the shelves of books tottered dangerously, but he caught it breathlessly. It was a picture taken in the backyard of the Kwon Manor, several years ago, of Dara and Jiyong, several months before the Parks moved. Neither of them was looking at the camera; Dara was attempting to run away from Jiyong, who was holding a frog in one of his hands, and yanking Dara’s arm with the other. Jiyong could still recall vividly that day.

 

        “Get away from me, Kwon Jiyong! I hate you!” Dara shrieked as she tried to escape. Jiyong laughed as he pulled her closer. Upon seeing the frog even closer, Dara screamed at the top of her lungs, but none of the maids dared to step in. It was an unspoken rule in the households of the Kwons and Parks that no servants were allowed to interfere in the “business” of the two young heirs.

 

        “I wish I never met you! Kwon Jiyong, you’re evil!” Dara spat. Jiyong stopped slowly and looked at her, hurt.

 

        “I was just playing, Darong…” He couldn’t help but pout slightly. It was always like this. He just wanted to , to have some fun, but she would end up angry at him and start saying things that made it difficult for him to breathe, as if someone was stomping on his heart. Couldn’t she see that he was just trying to be her friend?

 

        “Don’t call me that! You’re not allowed to call me that!” Dara tried to tug back her hand, but Jiyong grabbed onto it as if it was a lifeboat. He threw the frog quickly into the bushes, earning him the terrified screams from the girl.

 

        “I just want to play with you, Santokki, it’s my birthday…”

 

        “I don’t care if it’s your birthday, I ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter