Chapter 1

Unexpected Turn of Events

 

Sehun was surfing the net like any other night. After he finished his homework, he usually checks his email, sees if his favorite YouTuber updated or not; normal things that many of us do while using the internet, nothing too exciting really.

Nothing too exciting until Sehun watched his favorite YouTuber's newest video. It was a vlog about how the channel owner experienced a lucid dream. Because Sehun didn't know much about lucid dreaming, he took it upon himself to research the subject.

What Sehun found was, at least to him, brilliant. The whole idea of being awake and experiencing anything his heart desired, while being asleep, was exceptionally appealing to Sehun. A lucid dream is a dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming, or so says the first search result in Google, Sehun found.

Sehun decided that he wanted to experience lucid dreaming. He checked the clock on his computer's screen: eleven P.M. Deeming this an alright time to sleep, Sehun prepared himself for sleep.  

Since Sehun's an impatient kid, he didn't look into too much detail on how to fall into a lucid dream. All he knew was that he needed to become aware that he was a dream; not that he actually knew how to do this. But one of the websites that he visited said that lucid dreaming was natural and that everyone has the ability to lucid dream. With this is mind, Sehun feel asleep.

 

When Sehun woke the following morning to his alarm clock, he figured that he didn't lucid dream. He couldn't even remember any dreams at all. He sighed. "This may be more difficult than I thought," Sehun said to himself.

Instead of trying to make heads or tails of lucid dreaming at six in the morning, he decided that it would probably be in his best interest to get ready for school. Sehun has a tendency to be tardy when it comes to school. He'd rather not get another detention. He's a bit sick of them to be quite honest.

Surprisingly, Sehun made it to school in record timing. Class started at seven-twenty; Sehun arrived in class at seven-eighteen. It's a first; a first that may never happen again. It more than likely won't happen ever again, Sehun thought. He was right.

"Oh my God, Sehun! You're actually here on time for a change," Sehun's best friend, Yixing (he's an exchange student), said in awe.

"It's not like it's the first time I'm here before the bell. It's just a bit rare, is all," Sehun mumbled.

"I think you're lying. No, I know you're lying," Yixing smirked. "I bet you won't be able to make it before the bell again."

"How much?"

"My whole month's allowance."

Sehun took a moment to think that over. Yixing's parents were loaded. He probably gets a nice fat stack of bills for an allowance, Sehun thought. Sehun felt himself nodding.

"Fine."

"Okay, sure. If you're late even one day, you get to become my personal slave and you buy me lunch for a week."

Sehun didn't exactly like what Yixing would probably win. But the possibility of getting a crap ton of money was rather appealing. Sehun accepted.

"Wonderful," Yixing smirked again, knowing that he's already one the bet.

Sehun could only groan afterwards.

 

School was finally over and Sehun ends up at his local library. He had a research paper due in a few weeks and he needed a more information, so the most logical place to go to would be the library.

He was having a somewhat difficult time finding books and articles about his topic, so Sehun signed on. Since Sehun didn't put much effort into finding information about lucid dreaming, he figured he could do that.

He found many forums about lucid dreaming experiences but so far nothing on how to actually become lucid while dreaming. As nice as it was to read about how others dreamt, he wasn't exactly interested. What Sehun wanted was a step by step "how-to" for lucid dreaming. He eventually found what seemed to be a reliable source after changing his search terms a bit.

He found that someone actually wrote and publish a manual for people to learn how to lucid dream. From the review, it seems as if this manual had everything Sehun could possibly want to know about lucid dreaming. It was simply titled Lucid Dreaming Manual. How very straight forward, Sehun thought.

Sehun checked the library's database to see if they had the manual. Results: zero. Sehun sighed. He really wanted the manual. This might be the best way for him to actually learn how to lucid dream. And quickly.

Searching the web a bit more, Sehun found a magnet link for the manual in a .pdf file. Deciding that this might be his only chance to read the manual, he copied and emailed the magnet link to his email so he can download the file later.

After emailing himself, Sehun went straight home.

 

Sehun had to sit with his family before he could hole himself up in his room. He tried to use the excuse that he had to work on his homework immediately but his mother wasn't having any of that. She argued that he was at the library until dinner time; plenty of time to get homework done there. Sehun decided to let his mother win this round.

After dinner, his mother made sure that Sehun was all washed up and started on his homework; meaning that she eventually took his computer privileges away for the rest of the night.  Sehun sighed. He just couldn't win today.

Glancing at the clock, Sehun saw that it was nearing midnight. He needed to be awake by six-thirty the latest to be able to properly get ready for school. He just couldn't win today.

 

Once again, Sehun couldn't remember any of his dreams. Sighing, Sehun got up from bed to start his morning routine. He silently thanked his mom for making his bathe last night. He saved himself a minimum of five minutes.  Maybe today won't be so bad, thought Sehun.

But at least Sehun was able to make it just before the first bell rang. He laughed at Yixing's surprised face.

 

 

After school, Sehun went straight home so he could finally download the manual. It's been on his mind all day. He wanted, no, needed to read this manual as soon as possible. So he got started right away.

After reading the entire manual (it was 125 pages), Sehun realized a few things. One, he needed a whole of lot determination, concentration, willingness, and to able to believe in himself that he'd be able to become aware of the fact that he was dreaming.  Two, he was going to need to start a dream journal. Three, it was going to be a lot more difficult than he had originally thought. Despite being lazy and not liking to put a whole lot of effort into anything, Sehun was, at the very least, going to try doing what the manual says.

Sehun decided to try Stephen LaBerge's technique for lucid dreaming. LaBerge's technique is called M.I.L.D. (Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreaming). According to the manual, it's one of the most common techniques used by lucid dreamers. It also produces great results. The manual suggests reading LaBerge's books on the subject, but Sehun doesn't have time for that. He wants to start now. The manual provides a basic summary of LaBerge's technique, for which Sehun is thankful.  It reads,

1.     Set up dream recall: Before going to bed, establish the desire and intent to recall your dreams.

2.     Recall your dreams: Upon awakening, no matter what time it is, recall your dreams in as much detail as possible. If you are drowsy, do something to prevent you from falling back asleep.

3.     Focus your Intent: While returning to sleep, concentrate single-mindedly on your intention to realize that you are dreaming. Say to yourself, "The next time I am dreaming, I want to remember that I’m dreaming." Say this over and over until it is the last thing on your mind before falling asleep.

4.     See yourself becoming lucid: Imagine yourself back in the dream from which you have just awakened, but this time, recognize that you are dreaming. Find a dreamsign; when you see it say to yourself, "I’m dreaming" and continue your fantasy.

5.     Repeat: Repeat steps 3 and 4. Until your intention is set, then let yourself fall asleep. If your thoughts stray from this idea, bring your mind back to your intention to remember.

Sehun believes that he'll be able to accomplish lucid dreaming.

 

After about three weeks of training himself, Sehun finally was able to lucid dream. 

 


 

A/N: First chapter! I probably explained lucid dreaming badly, so if you don't understand or it sounds too choppy or doesn't make sense, ect. ect., please let me know and I'll do my best to fix it. Also, I actually own this manual as a .pdf, so there's more than likely going to be quite a few references to it, as well as LaBerge's technique. 

Also a quick disclaimer: I don't know everything there is to know about lucid dreaming. I personally have not been able to lucid dream yet. Though I will say that what this manual says to do, is actually helping me remember my dreams. I working off what I'd read in this manual, my extremely limited experience, and others' experiences that I've come across.