Chapter 47

Winning Hearts

 

 

 

D-100 until the Wedding

 

“He was super adorable when he proposed,” Kyuhyun stated, toying with his glass of wine, “and just as quickly he’s become like this.” He nodded over to where Ryeowook was taking a phone call, his notebook in his other hand.

Changmin and Victoria followed the indication, one shuddering, and the other shooting Kyuhyun a sympathetic look. “You know, he really did use work as a distraction in the beginning,” Changmin admitted thoughtfully, “but I think somewhere along the way, he forgot and actually started to enjoy organization.”

Kyuhyun sighed, glowering at the other man briefly. “He’s attractive while working, but now when he gets home, he just switches over and starts getting all business-like over the wedding plans. I don’t think I’ve had a second alone with him since the proposal.”

“Maybe you deserve it,” Victoria muttered.

“Oh shut up,” Kyuhyun retorted, setting the wine glass down and leaning back. His eyes trailed back over to Ryeowook in childish longing. “I just want to spend some time with him. The only time he talks to me is when he wants my opinion on the color of the table cloth or what flowers should be used.”

Changmin chuckled. “You’re totally enjoying this.”

“Am not,” he argued.

“You can’t stop talking about the fact that you’re going to marry him,” Victoria chimed in, smirking, “Changmin’s right. You’re excited about getting married.”

Kyuhyun bared his teeth at both of them, crossing his arms. “Didn’t I tell you to shut—” Two arms wrapped around Kyuhyun’s neck, tipping him slightly in the chair. He made a strangled noise, catching Ryeowook who had thrown himself at him.

“We have the city’s approval!” Ryeowook rubbed his face into Kyuhyun’s neck, smiling and laughing softly. He leaned back, eyes twinkling softly in the café’s light. “They said we can use the beach for the ceremony. It’ll be held this coming July.”

“Completely excited,” Victoria nodded.

“No doubt,” Changmin agreed, watching in amusement.

Kyuhyun glared at them, but it quickly faded when he watched that shining light in Ryeowook’s eyes grow brighter as he spoke about the wedding. He rested his arms slackly around the slender figure’s hips, head tilted to one side as he smiled. “That’s great,” he murmured gently.

“I already asked Dae-Jung if he would be the ring bearer,” Ryeowook had settled onto Kyuhyun’s lap, arms draped around his neck. “And he’s coming over this weekend to visit. We should go buy some new toys for him – and maybe a stuffed animal too. Oh, and while we’re there, we can look into wedding favors.”

“Anything you want,” Kyuhyun chuckled warily. He tugged Ryeowook a little closer, looking up into that beautiful, glowing face. “I love your eyes right now…,” he remarked softly.

“You say that a lot,” Ryeowook laughed, leaning his forehead against Kyuhyun’s.

“Because they’re the eyes that made me fall in love with you the first time,” he mumbled.

“You guys need to seriously stop forgetting where you’re at,” Changmin interrupted.

The engaged couple froze, turning slightly to look at the two people across from them. Ryeowook blushed faintly, “Sorry, Changmin…Victoria.”

“It’s okay,” he sighed, standing up and smiling, “Actually, we have to get going anyway. We have to go meet the travel agency booking our cruise.”

“When are you two going to get married?” Kyuhyun prompted, eyeing them with a spark of challenge.

Victoria flushed, and Changmin stiffened. Neither of them managed to answer properly, settling on glaring at the smirking man. “Goodbye,” Changmin rolled his eyes, taking his lover’s hand and leaving the café.

Ryeowook giggled, tightening his arms around Kyuhyun’s neck. “…They’ll get married soon.”

“Definitely,” he nodded.

 

D-50 until the Wedding

 

“No.”

“But why?”

“Just no.”

“But I want it…”

“Not this.”

“Please?”

“Definitely no.”

“Kyuhyun!”

“Ryeowook?” Kyuhyun cocked an eyebrow, arms crossed, back leaning against the couch back. He stared down the dark eyed, pleading male across from him. The lazy afternoon was quickly escalating into an argument about the wedding, and Kyuhyun was far too stubborn at that time of day to let Ryeowook have his way.

Pouting, the male crawled around the coffee table, kneeling in front of Kyuhyun. The latter’s mouth quirked up in amusement. He shook his head just once, very slowly. “Kyu…,” Ryeowook coaxed, placing his hands on the male’s knees, sliding upwards as he pushed himself higher.

“Oh no, no, no,” Kyuhyun pulled back, suppressing a laugh. He lifted his legs up, knees pressed to his chin, “Don’t even try that.”

“But…,” Ryeowook huffed, rising to his feet and pressing himself against Kyuhyun’s legs, slowly prying them apart, “Kyuhyun…I really want it…” He blinked a few times, smiling when he felt resistance edge away and the handsome male’s legs part. Ryeowook flopped between them, palms flattening against Kyuhyun’s chest. He grinned up at the half-irritated man. “Please?”

“Stop it!” Kyuhyun whined, throwing his head back, trying to ignore how the butterflies incessantly raced around his stomach. “God, Ryeowook, I said no.”

He crawled higher up, squirming his way into Kyuhyun’s reluctant embrace. “I love you…so you should do this for me.”

“What have you been learning at those self-empowerment classes?” he demanded irritably. “I swear they aren’t supposed to be teaching you things like this.”

“Like what?” Ryeowook smiled, running his fingers lightly through Kyuhyun’s hair.

“Like…this,” he stated, exasperated.

Please, Kyuhyun?” Ryeowook begged again, kissing the male’s neck softly and incessantly, “I promise you can choose everything else…if you let me have this.”

That was rather tempting. Kyuhyun paused, considering the proposal. After a long minute, he nodded slowly. “Fine, you can have it. But, you aren’t allowed to plan the remainder of the wedding. That’s my deal.”

The male went rigid.

Kyuhyun smirked.

Ryeowook pulled back, staring at him in horror. “You…You can’t be serious. This wedding is my baby.”

“I’m glad to see that you’re so prepared for parenthood,” he mused dryly.

“This is serious!” Ryeowook slapped Kyuhyun’s chest lightly.

“Well, take it or leave it. You get this thing, and you can’t plan the rest of the wedding.”

There was an extended silence before Ryeowook bit his lip and sighed heavily, shoulders slumping. “…I really want this.”

“I know you do,” he responded cheerily.

Ryeowook gave him one more pleading look, but Kyuhyun ignored it. Grimacing, the slender male leaned back, resting more heavily on the arms holding him. “Fine.”

“Good,” Kyuhyun grinned widely, kissing the beautiful figure. “Now…why do you want a giraffe-themed reception?”

“Because they’re so cute and light-hearted,” he answered as if it was only natural, “we’re going to have such a formal wedding, so I thought it was best for the reception to be fun.”

Kyuhyun just shook his head, not willing to ask for elaboration.

 

D-30 until the Wedding

 

Kyuhyun blinked a few times, bleary eyed and tired. Yawning, he sat up, careful not to wake up the person beside him. The sun hadn’t risen yet.  

Walking into the kitchen, he pulled out pots and pans before making sure that the door to the bedroom was shut tightly. Nodding to himself, Kyuhyun began cooking as quietly as possible. He fried eggs on the stove, toasted bread, warmed sweet buns into the oven, and cooked sausage to a nice brown.

By the time he was done with everything, the pans were slightly burnt and the toast was blackened on the edges. The eggs were a little mangled, but the sausage was actually decent. Kyuhyun glanced at the clock, seeing that it was almost time for Ryeowook to wake up.

Setting everything on a tray, Kyuhyun poured a glass of strawberry-orange juice and added that as well. He went to the fridge, opening the bottom drawer and pulling out a small bouquet of flowers he had prepared the night before. Tucking the flowers under one arm, he lifted the tray of food and hurried to the bedroom.

Just as he opened the door, Ryeowook’s alarm was going off and the male was robotically shutting it off in a matter of seconds. His head rose and he rubbed his eyes. Kyuhyun watched him for a short moment and then smiled, setting the plate of food down on the empty side of the bed.

Coming up next to his lover, Kyuhyun lifted the bouquet up, holding it in front of Ryeowook. It took a moment for the fragrant bouquet to register, but when it did, the sleepiness faded from his face and he broke into a smile. “Are these for me?” he asked, taking them and looking up at Kyuhyun.

“Happy birthday,” he responded, kissing the side of Ryeowook’s head, “I worked really hard on breakfast.”

Ryeowook looked over to the sloppy array of food and chuckled. “I can tell,” he promised, turning his head to get a kiss on his lips.

Kyuhyun obliged without much hesitation, grinning and holding the side of his drowsy fiancé’s face.

 

D-20 until the Wedding

 

Ryeowook pinned Kyuhyun back against the bed sheets, a crazed look in his eyes.

“Feisty tonight, aren’t we?” Kyuhyun drawled, trying to hide his grin. He lied back lazily, not fighting the aggressive grip on his wrists. “I mean, I don’t mind you dominating once in a while, so long as I’m still the one on top.”

“Tell me what you’re doing,” Ryeowook growled, settling his weight on his fiancé. “You can’t do this to me Kyuhyun…I need to know what you’re doing to the wedding.”

“Maybe I’ll tell you if I get something out of it,” he teased.

Ryeowook made a frustrated noise, pushing Kyuhyun back into the sheets roughly. “Please, Kyu-ah? I’m dying to know. I can’t sleep…I can’t eat…I’m so nervous.”

Sighing, he rolled them over, holding Ryeowook back. “Just trust me,” Kyuhyun kissed his throat, nibbling softly at the flesh. The silver bracelet on his wrist jingled, catching Ryeowook’s attention. His eyes softened and Kyuhyun kissed him once on the lips before bringing the bracelet up and kissing the cool silver faintly. “You trust me…don’t you?”

“Yes…,” Ryeowook mumbled, reaching up to cradle the bracelet. He smiled at it tenderly. On his finger was the original wedding band Kyuhyun had presented him with in Paris. It glinted against the bracelet’s reflective surface, bouncing light off the band encircling Kyuhyun’s finger.

“Then just let things go. I’ll take care of it all,” he assured.

There was a mixture of emotions in his eyes, but then he seemed to calm down and close his eyes. “Fine…fine, okay.” Ryeowook pulled Kyuhyun down to him. “Distract me…?”

“Never,” he scoffed, brushing his lips against Ryeowook’s, “I’ll love you, though.”

 

D-10 until the Wedding

 

Kyuhyun pressed his hand against Ryeowook’s curious eyes. “Ah, ah, ah, no looking,” he scolded, taking the notebook off the table and tucking it into his back pocket.

“Jerk,” Ryeowook muttered, staring longingly after the planner.

 

D-9 until the Wedding

 

“Is this a ploy?” Kyuhyun eyed him skeptically.

“No, I just wanted to go on a date,” Ryeowook frowned, holding blue cotton candy. He tore off a piece, offering it to his lover.

Smiling, Kyuhyun opened his mouth, taking the sweet candy.

 

D-8 until the Wedding

 

“…I didn’t mean to.”

“You so meant to.”

“I wouldn’t do something like that!” Ryeowook argued.

Kyuhyun made a face. “You gave him a black eye and a broken nose.”

“He lied about having those flowers in stock…”

 

D-7 until the Wedding

 

Ryeowook kicked his feet, lying on his stomach as he flipped through a magazine. The windows were open, letting in some night air. The front door clicked open and he perked up, lifting his head.

A drunken Kyuhyun staggered inside, falling down on the bed. “Gimme a kisch…,” he slurred, swatting at the air.

His fiancé raised an eyebrow, backing away. “Don’t think so,” Ryeowook shook his head, “was the bachelor party fun?”

“S’okay,” Kyuhyun muttered, seemingly ready to pass out any second.

“Good,” Ryeowook chuckled, waiting until Kyuhyun was sleeping and harmless to move him into a proper sleeping position.

 

D-6 until the Wedding

 

“Are you really going out with a group of women?” Kyuhyun’s brow furrowed.

“Well, I didn’t want a bachelor’s party that was crazy like yours,” Ryeowook shrugged, “Girls are a bit tamer I think.”

 

D-5 until the Wedding (1:30 A.M.)

 

The door flew open and Ryeowook tumbled inside, his clothes disheveled and hair a ed up mess. His eyes were filled with horror and disgust.

Kyuhyun was sitting in their bed, flipping through the planner in his hands. “Not tame?” he questioned.

“Not tame,” Ryeowook shook his head, hobbling unsteadily to the bathroom, “I need a shower.”

 

D-4 until the Wedding

 

“This is the best idea you’ve ever had,” Ryeowook sighed, smiling deliriously into the cushions as skilled hands massaged his body.

Kyuhyun was beside him, getting the same mind-blowing treatment. “ yes…,” he groaned, eyes fluttering closed.

 

D-3 until the Wedding

 

“I’m surprised you’re so calm,” Kyuhyun admitted, gazing at the male who was cooking dinner. “You’re usually a busy bee at these times.”

Ryeowook turned the heat off on the stove. “You took away my work, so I really don’t have anything to do but wait.”

“Is it because you trust me so much?”

His eyes trailed down to the bracelet Kyuhyun never took off. “I trust you more than anyone else in this world,” Ryeowook met his gaze, “you already know that though.”

Kyuhyun blushed faintly. “Yeah…I do,” he touched the bracelet absently, always feeling the weight of its meaning.

 

D-2 until the Wedding

 

Changmin walked down the street with Kyuhyun. “He’s really not hovering around you?”

“He’s keeping himself in check with books, cooking, self-treatment beauty remedies, and sleeping,” Kyuhyun explained.

“Wow, he’s trying really hard.”

Kyuhyun nodded, chuckling. “I’m surprised that he’s lasted so long without murdering me.”

Changmin laughed nervously. “Don’t put that possibility behind you.”

 

D-1 until the Wedding

 

“Shouldn’t we be doing something productive today? Like maybe last minute things or something?” Ryeowook complained as he lied in Kyuhyun’s arms.

It was already mid-afternoon, but they had yet to find their way out of bed. Clothes had been discarded a long time ago, the only thing keeping them somewhat clothed were the sheets. Limbs were tangled and hair was messy, but neither was truly bothered by it.

“Let’s spend today lazily,” Kyuhyun murmured, nibbling on his throat, “I want to treasure it…the last day we have as just lovers.”

Ryeowook leaned back against Kyuhyun more, feeling his arms tighten. “…Okay,” he mumbled, smiling and dozing off in the comfort of his future husband.

 

 

 

 

 

 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

There's one chapter left guys. Thank you for being with Winning Hearts this long. I hope it hasn't been disappointing and I apologize for not getting back to youe wonderful comments. I read each one over and over again, especially those that had insights into the darker aspects of this story. It means a lot to me to see everyone becoming so muddled by the events that have unfolded over the course of this piece.

Anyway, again, thank you for always supporting me and this story. I'm amazed at its popularity.

See you around in future stories!

Sincerely,

Pandorasv13