Without you.

You make my life complete [SEMI HIATUS]

"Yoona," Seohyun shook her best friend. Yoona remain silent. Her eyes were soul-less. She felt empty, her heart continued to carry the pain. She leaned against the window of the bus. Her heart sank. 

"He will be back," Seohyun said, "He will." 

Yoona sighed and nodded. 

-

Donghae was tired. Six more hours before the airplane lands in America. Donghae was already missing Yoona. He stared at window, at the clouds below. 

"Donghae," he turned and nodded at Siwon. Siwon sighed, "Hey, buddy," his hand patted his back, "It's just five weeks. And it will be the end of summer and you two will be together." Donghae smiled, "I hope."

"Come on-"

"I am just.. Gonna take a nap," Donghae turned away and curled himself into a ball. He did not know why he felt that way. He felt so afraid. Like Yoona, he did not want to lose anyone else important. Was he going to lose Yoona? He couldn't be sure about that. He was afraid that when he goes back, Yoona wouldn't be there anymore, they wouldn't be together or they would be strangers.. Again. He couldn't let it happen again, but will time give way to him? 

"After we get off the plane, we will have to attend a meeting," Donghae got up as he heard. He was eavesdropping. SeungWon was talking to his father. 

"We aren't going to the hotel right after?"

He questioned them. No one answered. Donghae lied back into his seat angrily. Siwon watched helplessly. He wanted to console Donghae but he was stopped. "Leave me alone to think, Siwon," he turned away. Donghae even wondered why he never tried running away from them. If he did, he may be with Yoona right now, instead of riding an airplane and getting jet-lagged later. He missed the times when they giggled as they cleaned the cafe, laugh at each other as they enjoy lunch. He missed her smile, her hair flying in the wind, her touch and her everything.

Just if SeungWon did not get to his painting by accident. Yes, a painting that meant a lot to him.

He looked at the time on the screen, another four more hours.

He sighed. He turned his attention to the white watch that he was wearing. He gave a small smile but soon it hurt. Yoona, Yoona, Yoona. The more he thought of her, the more it hurt later. Was it so bad leaving her? Now, he was very sure about that.

He should have ran away.

Hide with her.

Then he would not be hurting himself. It was only a few hours since he left, how was he going to survive the rest of the five weeks?

---

Yoona sat in her bed, staring at her laptop. She was hoping for him to skype her since they did that most of the time. It was the third time she was waiting. The first two times were turned into nothing. But she was not going to give up. She trusted Donghae that he would call soon or later. 

"Please call," she prayed as she got online on skype. She tapped on her mouse. She decided to look through their old pictures. Memories, memories, was that all she had of him? Yoona never felt like that before. She never did anything like that, waiting.

"Oppa," she touched the screen as it displayed photos of him and her. She looked out her window, "Why, God," she questioned, "If you are real, please let us be together. I beg you. You know that I had never begged for anything else but this time, I have to. So please, " she kneeled on her bed. Her eyes looked back into her screen.

That hazel brown hair, thick brows, talking eyes and sweet smile. Donghae, oh, how much she missed him. 

Donghae calling

Yoona stopped and stared. Is this real? She touched her screen. Excited and overwhelmed by the power of her prayers, she pugged in her microphone and speaker. She answered the call and then, a beautiful face came to the screen. But he looked different. His eyes were dull and tired. His eye bags were heavier. His hair was a little messy. But one thing that never changed, his smile.

"Hey," he waved. Yoona smiled, ignoring his differences, "Oppa! I missed you," she smiled. She was forcing on it. 

"Really," he asked, "You didn't cry anymore, right? I mean-"

"Of course not," she lied, "I didn't," she tried to remained happy for him, so that he would not worry so much about her. Yoona did not want to be a burden. 

Donghae nodded, "Then.. That's good. How's is it going in Korea," he asked as he hugged his knees. Yoona looked at him for a while. She remained silent. I feel that you are so far, she thought, our distance and feelings. She gulped, "Everything is as normal. But things are different without you. Customers at the cafe seemed to be disappointed without you. The manager started to get worried about the business," she looked down, "Krystal says she misses you and your father. Seohyun and a bunch of classmates too," then she paused. Donghae looked at the look on her face but he couldn't. She was hiding something. 

"Oppa," then she looked back up. Her face drenched with tears, "I never really smiled ever since you left."

Donghae stopped rocking on his bed. He lay down properly on his bed. 

"Yoong, I-I-I-I.. I'm.. So sorry. I-I-I.. I missed you too," his eyes were watery. He did not want this call to be like that, all tears and sadness, "But.. I will be back. I will be right there when school reopens. Trust me, okay," he smiled again. He hoped and wanted her to be happy, "I know it's hard. So is it for me, but I know that you will be there for me. And so will I be here for you. We may be hours apart but Yoong, I always love you,"

"Oppa," she sniffed, "You must not break your promise, you understand me? I can't lose you, I can never afford that price."

"I won't break that promise."

"Really?"

"Really."

 

Donghae shut his laptop. His face covered with dried tears. Leaving Yoona was the worse decision he ever made. But there was not a thing left to do. 

"Time for dinner," his father called. He just stoned on his bed, not looking up. 

"Come on," MyungJun patted Donghae's back. "I am not hungry," he lied back down on the bed. All he wanted to sleep and wake up in Korea, to see Yoona again. He never thought it would hurt this much.

This was worse than a jet lag.

----

"You were into arts? I never knew that," Donghae found his purpose in America. Siwon was working to do a showcase of artwork, his and Donghae's. 

"I never wanted to talk about it. And I was really surprised that you made that painting even though it was not fully done," Siwon commented. Donghae frowned as he was reminded of the painting. "It was about her, right," Siwon asked. They got to the lift lobby. Donghae nodded, "I miss her," he said, "So much." Siwon swallowed, "I'm... I'm really sorry," he put a hand on Donghae' shoulders. Donghae shaked his head, "No. It's okay."

They headed down for breakfast. Days passed like that, breakfast, attending the course, dinner and sleep.

If not, it would be thinking of Yoona as he sits on the bed. Missing her was a daily routine. 

"Hey, son," MyungJun patted his shoulder. Donghae nodded before he took a sip of his orange juice. He was not very 'breakfast' type of person, the only full breakfast he ate was when Yoona made it for him once. She packed breakfast for him, aromatic kimchi fried rice. The best breakfast he has ever had.

"I miss Korea's food," he commented as the rest continued to eat. Siwon nodded, "Me too."

"Three more weeks, my boys," SeungWon said. He wiped his mouth. Donghae just nodded. He did not really like SeungWon. SeungWon was always looking into getting things done and fast. Donghae wondered if he ever catched a breathe, stop and spend worthful time with his own family. SeungWon always make everyone stick back to their purpose, he would never get out of the point. Donghae never liked such people.

Donghae did not reply anything.

"The car is ready, sir," a bodyguard came to their table and told SeungWon. SeungWon dismissed him. Donghae frowned at the time, it was way too fast. How he wished everything slowed down so that he could breathe properly and catch the wonderful moments of life.

"Let's go," MyungJun stood up with SeungWon. The younger ones took their time to walk behind them.

"I can't breathe," Donghae told Siwon.

"Oh my god, you have asthma? I never knew that."

"Urgh," Donghae said, "No, I do not and I don't mean like literally. Everyday is just so busy, don't you agree?"

Siwon nodded, "Of course. But, my dad's the boss here and we can't do anything about it, not even me," Siwon crossed his arms, "How I wish I could."

"Like what he said, my man, three more weeks and we will be back in Korea," Donghae grinned. Siwon smiled back, "I see someone happy to see his lover soon," he teased. Donghae looked away, "What do you mean, ," he punched Siwon's shoulder playfully. 

"Stop play around, you are not kids anymore," SeungWon's voice growled. Donghae stopped, so did Siwon. But secretly, they laughed.

-----

Yoona smiled at the customers, like how Donghae did when he was there.

"Hi, sir. What would you like to have," she smiled sweetfully at him. She treated long and complicated orders patiently, like how Donghae would. Then a familiar customer came, the lady she spilled coffee on. Yoona nodded, "Great day, madam. I see a nice dress you are wearing," she smiled, "What would you like to have today?"

Yoona looked at that dress she was wearing. The one Donghae designed. Donghae even let Yoona wear it once before giving it to the lady. 

"I would like an iced latte, less sugar, please," the lady searched through her wallet and grabbed a few notes. Yoona nodded, took the money and returned change, "Thank you," she looked at the next customer, a younger boy, "Hi, young one," she smiled to him. Before she could ask him anything, he spoke, "Noona, I drew you this," he stretched his hand up, holding a drawing to let her see. A lady with brown locks, a smile on her face.

"Who is that," she asked as she took it. He gave her a flower, "It's you, noona. You are as pretty as a flower."

That line reminded of Donghae.

I love you, Yoona. You are the prettiest thing I have ever seen, you are as pretty as a flower.

She smiled to the boy, "Thank you. Now, run along. Your umma is waiting." The little boy smiled to her. He ran to his mother. Before he left, he waved  at her. Yoona waved back. She put the flower by her ear before going on back to work.

I am waiting oppa, always.

--

Donghae looked at Siwon, "I want my painting back, bro."

"If I could get that for you, both of us wouldn't be here. You will be dating Yoona and I would be sleeping at home."

Both of them sighed in sync. They were like kids, waiting for their parents to come out of the conference room. It has been an hour. Donghae checked his watch every five minutes and it seemed time was going slower and slower.

Donghae grumbled something before lying back in his seat, "This is super boring, Siwon."

"Can I do anything?"

"Maybe not," Donghae sighed again with Siwon. Donghae shaked his head, "We have been sighing too much recently. This course is not really interesting anyway. Let's get some canvases, paint and paintbrushes.. To.. To paint her."

"You are going to repaint her?"

"Of course. What? Am I going to wait for you get it back?"

"Maybe.. I can," Siwon suddenly remembered something and pulled out a key. He smiled and looked at Donghae. "I thought you couldn't?"

"The key to where my father keeps paintings. Yours might be there," he stood up. Donghae followed and felt excited, "This is exciting."

Siwon nodded and took the lead. Since it was his fifth time in America, he knew his father's buliding well enough. They went to the lift lobby and went to the third floor. There was no one around, which was a good thing. No one should be at the third floor without permission. Despite knowing that no one was or going to be around, they tiptoed across the corridors. Donghae even whispered, "Which room is it?"

"Room twenty, I think?"

"What," Donghae half whispered and screamed, "What do you mean 'I think'?"

Siwon put a finger on his lips, "Shh! Keep it down, we don't want people to hear us."

"Okay, okay," Donghae surrendered and remained silent. He just followed Siwon. They came to room twenty. Siwon was relieved that the key fitted into the keyhole. He turned it thrice and the door was open. Donghae's jaw dropped in amazement. The room was dedicated to paintings, beautiful ones. And he found his right on the shelve above. 

"Siwon," he gestured Siwon to come over to him, "Help me get it."

"It's too bad that you are short," Siwon joked and earned himself a slap on the back. Donghae waited to receive his painting. Siwon took it down.

"I will instruct the lady at the counter to sent this to your hotel room tonight."

Donghae grinned to himself and hide it as soon as Siwon took him out.

That was another step closer to getting back to Yoona.

--

Yoona put on her uniform. She has became more skinnier. She really missed Donghae. And, school's reopening, he was not back. Yoona did not want to call him a liar but she thought it would be so soon. 

"Bye, umma," she said as she wore her shoes. Yoona shut the door and strolled to the bus stop. She missed Donghae running to her as she walked, telling her the exciting things he wanted her to know. He would offer to carry her books, or it would be a cup of coffee he would buy. She missed him so much.

A bus stopped in front of the stop and she got onto it. She remembered when they took the bus together, they would be laughing at the back about crazy things and end up scolded by a member of the public. Yoona wanted those days back. 

She got off the bus stop. She remembered that time when they rarely knew each other, he was standing at that spot, listening to some music. She did not expect him to be waiting for her until he said so. Those were warm feelings. It would be better if he was around. 

She passed the school gate, entering the school grounds. She was not usual to the waves her classmates gave her, and the smiles on their faces. How she wished that she would see him in the crowd, smiling to her. Instead, Seohyun found her. Yoona smiled to her and nodded. "Have you seen Donghae?"

Seohyun looked rather shocked, "He isn't back yet?"

Yoona frowned and shaked her head. "He promised.. And he broke it," Seohyun said. Yoona knew that but there was nothing much she could say.

"Let's go for class," Yoona ignored her feelings and walked to class.

They heard cheers as they got closer to the classroom. Their class was never that noisy.

"Come and look!"

"Oh my god, he is on the papers?"

The two girls entered and found the class gathered into a spot. Yoona walked closer to one of them, "What's going on?" 

"Donghae's on the papers," the girl passed her the newspaper, "Here."

Young man to be Mister Choi's next reliable worker?

Yoona did not know what was going on. She needed to calm herself down and read the article. "I will take this to read," she made the class disperse and go back to their own seats. Yoona sat beside Seohyun and started reading.. 

Yoona's heart shattered at the last line.

According to leaked schedules, Mister Choi and Mister Lee Donghae will be back after a month.

Yoona wiped her tears away. Seohyun could only watch, "Yoona," she her friend's back. Yoona sniffed and smiled, "I am okay. I am fine," she put down the papers. But she lied to herself, she know that when she gets home after school, she would be crying and not eating her meals. She just couldn't stand the pain of not having Donghae beside her. She swallowed hard, not wanting to cry. 

"Good morning, class. And welcome back to school."

--

Yoona did not have the guts to switch on her computer to chat with Donghae ever since she saw that article. She was afraid that she might go crazy as he kept telling her that he would be soon.

Sometimes, she wondered if soon will ever come. She was tired of the war they were having with the rest of the world. But she did not want this relationship to fade either. Yoona did not know what to do.

She really missed Donghae. She was sure that he does too. But Yoona felt like she was in a deep pool. Her feet could not feel the floor below her, she was struggling to catch her breath. 

"Oppa," she whispered to herself, "Are you really coming back?"

She did not expect a reply but she hoped for one. She wondered if God heard her prayers every night. Yoona felt like she was buried under the ground and no one could hear her. 

But still trust Donghae, no matter how long it would take. 

I trust you no matter what, Donghae.

---

"You guys are a bunch of liars," Donghae slammed the door. He hated being stuck in America. It has been six weeks and no one was planning to go back. He fell onto his bed and stared into his phone wallpaper, "Yoona," his voice soft and weak. He swallowed, "I am sorry." He put his cellphone beside him and looked up at the ceiling. He sighed heavily as he looked at the half-painted painting that Siwon got back for him.

I really had enough. I think Yoona too. She has been waiting, so have I. We have been seperated all the time.

Then he sat up and looked at his laptop. Donghae smiled to himself, "If they are not going, I will go back myself."

-

Donghae received his tickets by mail a few days later. He decided to send Yoona a email that he was going back by the weekend. 

To the one I love, 

Hello, beautiful. It's me, Donghae. I missed you as much as you do. I know it has been six weeks and I broke my promise. I hope it is not too late for us to happen. I will be back for you. I know I have been telling you that ever since this bull happened. It is seems that they are lies. And yes, they are. Well, it's them lying to us. I decided to stop believing Mister Choi. He has been being a bastard these days and refused to let all of us go back to Korea. Worse than that was my dad agreeing to his terms. I can't believe that he is with him in that stupid plan. What plan? I don't know either. But that did not matter to me. I just want to be with you again. We will run away from this cruel world that has been seperating us. I will take you to a place that no one can take you away from me. I will be your oppa, you will be my yeoja. When I come back, I promise that there is not a day that you will ever feel lonely again. This is not a sugar-coated mail to sooth your sorrow. I am really coming back, Yoona. I told you that I will be doing this for you. I just bought my own tickets. If they are not going back with me, then no one is stopping me to be with you. 

Donghae

Donghae sent the email over to her. It was night now. He called for a cab. He was ready to leave. Everyone was asleep, so was his father. He left a letter to his father on the table. He looked around the room for the last time. Donghae smiled to himself. He held tightly to his painting and left with his luggage. The door shut, keeping the silence in the room.

Goodbye, America.

----------------------

I would I wanna thank four other upvoters, Yoona0330, strawberry90, sujusone24 and yoonaFAN14. Thanks for much for reading and it makes me feel appreciated!

I am sorry for not updating fast! I had fever recently :( and wanted to update the story the last weekend... :( Sorry for this super short chapter!

Subscribe. Comment. Upvote.

And a big hug to all the subbies!