Chapter 9

In It to Win It

L. Joe walked over to the box, collecting two tennis rackets and a ball, while Chunji wandered over to claim a section of the tennis court, for them to practice. They had apparently wordlessly decided that they were going to be P.E. buddies for the rest of the year.

 

Now that they were going to start playing tennis, they stood on opposite sides of the net, L. Joe throwing one of the bats over the net, for Chunji to catch. They stood close to the net, in rows equal with the other students, as L. Joe served the ball.

 

It was so noisy as the class played; everyone carrying on their own conversations that Chunji and L. Joe couldn't resist the opportunity to have one of their own. Oddly enough the two boys tended to talk to one another surprisingly often, for people who seemed to get into squabbles all the time.

 

Chunji wildly misjudged the site of the ball, as he moved to strike it with the bat, missing the ball entirely. L. Joe bit back a laugh, taking in the sight of Chunji looking so befuddled and put out, by what had happened. It was cute in a pathetic sort of way. But looking at him, he couldn't help but take in the other boy's dark and swollen eyes.

 

“Are you sleeping okay?” he asked, concerned by the other boy's appearance. He had a feeling that he was really tired, and that might account for the other boy's slow reaction times and poor coordination today. At least they were standing in the shade for a little while. He doubted the sun blaring down on them angrily, would improve their game in anyway.

 

“Yeah, I'm sleeping well, when I can get it. I'm really busy with all these assessments right now.” Chunji confided, hitting the ball back over the net to L. Joe, but the ball went wide, so L. Joe had to chase after it.

 

“Well, you're going to have to get some more sleep from now on. You're not playing very well.” L. Joe commented lightly, hitting the ball back towards Chunji, only for the ball to arch downwards, striking the net. He sighed, bending down and collecting the ball, to try again. Chunji snickered slightly at the comment, given the irony, but he held his tongue. He wasn't really in the mood to pick a fight with L. Joe right now; it was kind of nice to just have a normal conversation with one another.

 

“I'm not sure how you work that one out. I never play very well.” Chunji pointed out, hitting the ball back to L. Joe, surprised that they managed to get a bit of a rhythm going for a little while. They might have managed to get it back and forth around 10 times, before he missed.

 

“True. Sport doesn't really seem... your style.” L. Joe stated, eyeing Chunji amused, by the other boy, when he tried and failed to serve three times in a row. “It's not.” Chunji agreed with an irritated huff, when he finally managed to hit the ball such that it went over the net, only for L. Joe to stumble when he tried to chase after it.

 

“So why do you take this unit?” L. Joe asked, serving the ball too high, so that it went sailing over Chunji's head, hitting the chain-link fence several metres behind him. Chunji grabbed the ball, mid-bounce, hitting it back to L. Joe, who returned the ball once again, only for him to miss it once again. L. Joe seemed determined to hit it as far away from Chunji's current spot everytime he hit the ball. It's not like they were playing for points!

 

“My parents. They thought it would do me good to have some planned, daily exercise, during this year. They thought it'd keep my stress levels down.” Chunji explained, twisting his racquet around in his hands, as he waited for L. Joe to serve the ball back to him once again.

 

“I don't think it's working.” L. Joe pointed out, noting that their teacher was distracted by a messenger for the moment, and took advantage of that, in order to give them both a break. They were spending more time chasing after the ball than playing anyway.

 

“Well there's just so much going on right now.” Chunji whined, trying to defend himself. “Such as?” L. Joe asked, noting with glee, the fact that the teacher had walked off with the messenger, leaving them unattended for a few minutes. “The fact that every class has handed out an assessment task. Not to mention that whole mess with Minsoo.” Chunji sighed, displeased.

 

“Just call him CAP.” L. Joe told the other boy. He'd seen the word forming on Chunji's lips, but he'd stopped himself before he said the name aloud. Chunji turned startled eyes on him, horrified. “Are you kidding? I can't call him that! He never said I could call him that; he said you could.”

 

“Yeah and I've just given you permission to call him that too.” L. Joe explained, nonchalantly. He really didn't see what the big deal was, getting so worked up about a name. “But, he never said I could.” Chunji argued. “Yes, but he's not going to know, now is he? This is just between you and me.” L. Joe explained, hoping that Chunji would see things rationally.

 

It felt strange to hear Chunji putting so much meaning behind a simple name choice. He disliked the fact that Chunji was making out that the name he used to address CAP was so important. It really wasn't important, as far as he was concerned. It was disconcerting to hear his name spoken about so reverently; with so much hushed awe contained in the other boy's tone.

 

Chunji looked hesitant, but L. Joe just sighed. He was getting tired of this topic of conversation; he doubted Chunji was going to say anything further in that debate that he really wanted or needed to hear right now. “What mess with CAP?” he enquired, jumping back on Chunji's previous comment. Chunji paused for a moment, still clearly trying to decide how he should react to L. Joe's instruction to call him by his nickname. “You know him disapproving of me so much for the way I act when I'm with you.” he answered, uncomfortably.

 

A look of disappointment crossed his features, as he asked L. Joe the question he'd been dreading, tone subdued. “Does CAP still think negatively of me about it?” L. Joe wanted to be able to turn around and deny it, but he didn't really feel comfortable about lying to Chunji. He didn't want to raise the other boy's hopes. Particularly when it seemed the whole matter was pointless. He nodded, noting the sadness welling in Chunji's eyes.

 

L. Joe was worried that Chunji was about to break down in tears, and he looked around the class at the other boys, helplessly, trying to work out what he was supposed to do in a situation like this. But Chunji's sadness evaporated in an instant, his gaze determined and hard as he stared back into his eyes, startling L. Joe. “I need your help.” he told L. Joe, his tone strong.

 

“Eh? What for?” L. Joe asked, confused at the sudden mood change. “I don't want him angry with me anymore. You're friends with CAP, therefore you can help me make amends with him.” Chunji pointed out, his cheeks flushing cutely as he stumbled over the other boy's name. Suddenly L. Joe found himself regretting telling Chunji to call him CAP. It was better hearing him call him Minsoo normally, than hearing him refer to him as CAP with a blush. He'd just been jealous that he'd been using the other boy's real name; in L. Joe's mind that was far more intimate than his nickname.

 

Now he'd changed his mind. He crossed his arms stubbornly. “Maybe so, but that doesn't tell me any reason why I should help you.” he pointed out. He kind of liked the way things were now; with this distance between CAP and Chunji. Who knew what might happen if he got the two of them together; he didn't really want to be thanked at their wedding in 10 years time.

 

“Because, you owe me! It's all your fault that he and I aren't getting along in the first place!” Chunji spluttered. “Oh?” L. Joe queried, drawing Chunji's explanations from him, with his careful words. “Yes it is, don't pretend that you don't know. You're always teasing me or annoying me or being mean, when he's around, hoping that you'll get a reaction out of me. You just keep hassling me, until I bite back, but then he disapproves of me, thinking I'm an angry person, because he didn't see any of the stuff you did to aggravate me!” he explained, irately.

 

“Well then, have you ever considered that maybe it's a good thing you and CAP aren't getting along?” L. Joe suggested, hoping that his advice was as objective as he was trying to tell himself that it was. “How can it be a good thing, if we're not getting along?” Chunji questioned, stubbornly.

 

“Because. What is it he keeps getting mad about? You expressing yourself; expressing your emotions. All I'm saying is that, if someone is that intolerant of you expressing yourself, then maybe you two aren't as well-suited to one another as you'd like to think you are.” L. Joe explained. Chunji's cheeks flamed, as he shook his hands in denial. “You make it sound like I want to go out with him! I don't! It's got nothing to do with that at all! I just dislike the thought of someone thinking badly of me! That's all!” Chunji exclaimed, but he took note of what L. Joe said. He'd have to reflect on that bit of advice a bit more, and consider it more fully; but now was neither the time nor the place for such thoughts.

 

Noticing Chunji's stubbornness on this front, L. Joe sighed, shaking his head at himself for what he was about to say. He couldn't believe he was actually going to say it. “What do you want me to do about it?” Chunji sent him an elated grin, clapping excitedly. “Just talk to him. I want you to give him a better impression about me, you hear? You're going to act like we're the closest, best friends in the world. You will do nothing but sing my praises to him.” Chunji informed him eagerly.

 

L. Joe snorted, derisively. “Please, who'd believe that? It's completely implausible; no one talks about another person like that. He'd think I was weird. Actually he'd probably think you were blackmailing me or threatened me with grievous bodily harm or something.” L. Joe commented, amused by his own thoughts.

 

Chunji didn't need to know that he'd already been doing just that sort of thing ever since he started hanging out with CAP. That's how he knew what CAP would think; because CAP did think he was weird for doing it. He supposed that was just the cost of getting himself emotionally invested in their little fight. It was all Chunji's fault; making him care what CAP thought about Chunji, because of Chunji's own, clear feelings for CAP. He felt like it was all he could do to try and help Chunji win CAP over, as his friend.

 

But Chunji didn't need to know about that.