Chapter 19

In It to Win It

A:N/ Omo ten chapters to go! So sad! I hope I get to write alot when I go on holidays at the end of semester, because you guys manage to brun through my fanfictions, with all these daily updates! Okay so a few things, if I was talking to you last night and then I suddenly disappeared, I'm really sorry. I was staying up to work on an essay (due today) and my grandpa found out I was still up... Itw as 1 am my time, and I was getting uparound 6 am so I had to qucikly log off. Aren't I naughty? Lol! The last task (from my massive collection of tasks) is due on Wednesday, so I should have more time to coem on here again and talk to you guys wihtout being so erratic! And the last thign I wanted to say was, to all of you who thought Chunji was finally about to get over CAP, I am so sorry to have to give you such an infuriating chapter. >Updates< here you go! >runs away quickly ebfore you lynch me<

- -

 

“Hey, do you have any idea what's been up with Chunji lately?” L. Joe queried, as he sat with Niel in Art class. It always made the work easier, to have someone to talk to, as he painted. His efforts became more artistic, the less he focused on what he was doing. When he paid too much attention to what he was doing, he couldn't even draw a straight line, much less create the illusion of three dimensional depth in his picture.

 

“What do you mean?” Niel enquired, sounding far too innocent for L. Joe to feel anything but suspicious. Normally when Niel was innocent, he sounded clueless. This ignorance seemed far too contrived to be natural. He must have some idea of what L. Joe was talking about.

 

“Well, he's been so miserable ever since that date with CAP, and he kept moping about it for ages. Now he's acting all chirpy and happy, like before. It's weird.” L. Joe explained, wrinkling his nose as he tried to explain himself.

 

“So you're suspicious because your friend is happy?” Niel asked, laughing at how ridiculous it all sounded when he put it that way.

 

“It's not that.” L. Joe denied. “It's just weird. He's changed all of a sudden. It's come out of no where. That makes me nervous. It means something has changed and he's not telling me about it.” he explained.

 

Niel looked like he was going to deny L. Joe's words, and try and assuage his concerns, but then he seemed to reconsider. “Yeah I suppose that's true. I think it has something to do with the fact that he's started talking to CAP again.” Niel explained, carefully.

 

“Eh? Since when? I thought he was swearing off CAP, after all the pain and humiliation he suffered from their date!” L. Joe spluttered, confused.

 

“Yeah that was before. Things have changed.” Niel stated.

 

“What's changed?” L. Joe demanded, trying to get his head around Chunji's sudden attitude change toward the other boy. What could possibly make everything okay again, after what CAP had done to him only a few weeks ago?

 

“Well I know CAP started up with all those little things Chunji usually flips out over. You know the smiles and the waves, and the few whispered words before or after a class. But I think the thing that really changed his mind, was the fact that CAP and Minyoung broke up again, and this time CAP was the one to tell him about it, personally.” Niel explained.

 

L. Joe could only shake his head, unsure how to respond to the news. If he were being honest, he really didn't expect anything less from Chunji. He'd even suspected that something like this might have been the reason behind the other boy's sudden mood change. But it didn't make him any happier. Just what was it going to take to break the hold CAP seemed to have over Chunji? Just how long would Chunji allow himself to get played with?

 

“Ah. That explains it then.” he murmured, unable to think of anything else he could possibly say in response to Niel's explanation.

 

Because, really it did.

 

- -

 

“You could have told me, you know?” L. Joe stated, as he crossed and uncrossed his arms, from where he stood next to Chunji, preparing to do their warm up run, for P.E. Class. Chunji sent him a confused look, “Told you what?” he queried, sounding as innocent as ever. He had to give him credit, Chunji was much better at it than Niel was, but L. Joe wasn't fooled.

 

“That you like CAP again. That the two of you were talking again.” L. Joe muttered, his tone completely flat. Knowing that his friend was keeping a secret from him like this, made him feel like he didn't matter to Chunji. Wasn't he important enough to know that his feelings had changed? Did all the comfort he'd given to the other boy amount to nothing more than charity?

 

“Oh that. I didn't want to bother you with it. It's nothing.” he said, waving the matter away. “Nothing?” L. Joe queried. “Yeah nothing. A few looks in the hallway. A smile when I walk through the school gate; nothing.” Chunji explained, a slightly annoyed look crossing his features.

 

“Clearly it's not nothing. If it were nothing you wouldn't be so happy about it. If it were nothing, you would still hate him, for what he put you through.” L. Joe countered, a little worried that his tone had gotten a little more dark than he'd wanted it to. He sighed, uncrossing his arms, not entirely certain when he'd crossed them in the first place.

 

“I suppose you're right.” Chunji agreed, stiffly, his cheeks flushing slightly though for what reason, L. Joe had no clue. “ I just... I'm supposed to be your inside man; helping you to win CAP over... So it kinda hurts that you'd leave me out when feelings change, you know?” he questioned, not entirely certain that his explanation was satisfactory to himself, let alone anyone else, but it would have to suffice for now.

 

“I get you. I'm sorry I didn't tell you L. Joe. I just.... I wanted to be sure I liked him again before I told you.” he explained, shuffling slightly with his own discomfort.

 

“Why?” L. Joe questioned, confused.

 

“Because I thought you might be mad.” Chunji admitted. “Niel sure was. He seemed certain that you'd take it even worse than he did. If we were going to have an argument, I wanted to be able to say that I was at least sure of my feelings.” he explained.

 

“Mad?” he questioned, a little embarrassed to know that the word might well have been a good description for himself when he first found out, when he still wasn't sure why. “Don't be silly. This is just how you are.” he commented with a grin that felt a little to stiff to be real.