Chapter 14

In It to Win It

A:N/ OMG that was awful. I've just gotten (like literally 1 hour ago, so this is the second my class ended) the third task out of the way...I was doing a presentation about Korea in 1910-1919.... 10 minutes and question time at the end... It was horrible! But, now that I've got that out of the way, I have two tasks next week (monday and thursday) and another one due sometimes after that (I dont' really know I just got it last friday, and didn't even look at it, too busy with this presentation). But after that the worst period is over and I might be allowed to start writing again, yay!!!!! I've been missing it so much, I tried to do it in the middle of a lecture yesterday... And I had a fun one shot idea that I really want to flesh out. But I'll never forget about you, so before I do a last minute job on my homework (i'm so bad right now, tee hee!) I'm going to update! Yay, cue cheers! Enjoy, I think you will!

- -

 

Chunji set his books down on the library table with a loud bang, as he flopped into the seat opposite of the boy. L. Joe appeared startled, but upon realising that it was only Chunji, he promptly turned back to his work, as though he didn't know or care that the other boy was there.

 

Chunji eyed the the table, distrustfully, annoyed by the sight of a few books scattered around. Ever since a few days ago, L. Joe had been acting like this. He'd just assumed that it was because the second round of assessment tasks was going to be due over the next few days. He'd found the change odd at first, but he let it go.

 

L. Joe hadn't done anything remotely like this for their last task, when he really thought about it. It hadn't occurred to him to enquire how L. Joe had gone, despite the number of classes they shared. He assumed that since L. Joe was studying like mad for the assessment tasks now, he must've done badly on the first task and gotten in trouble off his parents. He was probably trying to appease them by improving his grades, but was still too lazy to have started working on it the moment he'd received the task, like Chunji had. If he had a good work ethic, he could be out having fun at lunchtime, like Chunji was.

 

Still, to each his own, he supposed. If something was going to bother him about this whole arrangement, it wouldn't be that.

 

It might possibly be the fact that despite how irritating he found L. Joe, and how much he'd wished the other boy would just go away a month earlier, he kind of missed him these days. It was almost a disappointment to know that the other boy wouldn't be joining them for lunch, and that he would not even try to seek them out.

 

He'd let it go the first day, telling himself he was too happy at getting to spend some quality time with Niel to care. That had worked, but when L. Joe didn't show up again the second day, he found himself frowning a little too much for his comfort. He'd finally asked him about it, that afternoon in English, only realising after he'd spoken that the other boy might not give him an answer. But L. Joe had told him plain and simple where he was and what he was doing.

 

He figured he owed L. Joe the decency of leaving him to his work. If L. Joe thought he couldn't work with him and Niel around, then they should leave him be. But now he had some good news to share, and he'd already bugged Niel about it, ever since he found out about it. Begrudging though the admission might be, Chunji was starting to come to terms with the fact that he considered L. Joe a friend. It had been the only option open to him the moment he'd realised that he wanted to share his good news with L. Joe.

 

Which is why he found himself in the library right now. He eyed the room disinterestedly, figuring that if he gave L. Joe a moment the other boy would give him his attention. He'd probably been in the middle of a sentence when Chunji had sat down: that was probably why he'd ignored him,and continued working for a moment.

 

There were far more people in here than he'd expected, and the place was much louder than he'd been expecting. Wasn't this supposed to be a library? That place where everybody keeps quiet for fear of being tortured by little old librarians?

 

“Hello?” Chunji questioned, starting to get annoyed by the fact that L. Joe was ignoring him. He was pretty sure he saw the corners of L. Joe's lips quirk up in an unintended grin, before he raised his head to observe Chunji. “Yes, hello.” he replied simply, turning his pen around between his fingers as he waited to hear what Chunji wanted.

 

Chunji didn't allow himself to entertain notions regarding the suitability of what he was about to say. He told himself he didn't care how it sounded, or the fact that he was clearly hijacking their conversation, forcing it to go where he wanted it to. Because he really wanted to get it all out.

 

He could feel the way his face lit up with a massive grin, realising that he probably looked like a massive idiot, but not really caring anyway, because he was so happy. “I have the most wonderful, unbelievably amazing news!” he exclaimed, joyously. L. Joe reciprocated his smile, as he observed his friend's reaction, wondering what could have made Chunji light up like this. Something in his stomach thudded with dread, but he didn't really acknowledge it. He was too distracted by how youthful and cute Chunji looked when he got this excited.

 

“Minsoo told me that he wanted the two of us to hang out together after school.” he explained, hurriedly, unable to contain an excited squeal at the end, as he wriggled around in his seat in his excitement. L. Joe's heart started racing, and he was pretty sure his smile might've faltered for a moment, but Chunji wasn't looking at him right at that moment. He'd been given a few seconds to recover before he had to mask his concern.

 

“Did he now?” L. Joe asked, not really sure what he should say in response to Chunji's comment, that wouldn't irritate the other boy, without lying. “Indeed he did.” Chunji repeated, the delight only growing as he confirmed what he'd said. L. Joe reclined slightly in his seat, observing the other boy, curiously. He hoped that the gesture made him look cool and laid back. “Like friends, or like a date, or what?” he asked, trying to sound disinterested.

 

Chunji's cheeks flooded with colour at what L. Joe had asked, the image of going on a date with Minsoo quickly flooding his mind, but he shook his head childishly, eyes downcast in his embarrassment. “He didn't really say, but I mean, he did say that it was going to be just the two of us, so it'll kind of be like a date, don't you think?” Chunji pushed excitedly, his bashfulness evaporating as he considered the prospect again.

 

“Did he say where you'd be going or what you were gong to be doing or anything?” L. Joe enquired, trying to work out what CAP was playing at. He couldn't figure out what CAP's angle was on the whole thing.

 

Chunji rolled his eyes at the other boy, crossing his arms as though he thought the matter was simple, “Of course not. It's probably because he wants it to be a surprise or something.” he explained.

 

“Or he doesn't have any ideas what to do yet.” L. Joe scoffed, expecting to be hit with one of Chunji's tirades for his “rude” comment. Chunji tended to consider anything that L. Joe said regarding CAP not liking or thinking about him as his being mean and rude. Though to be fair, that was because any time he did say anything, he was trying to come across like that. He couldn't mention the idea to Chunji in a serious manner, only in amidst their bickering.

 

But instead Chunji nodded, “That's possible too. Maybe he wants it to be spontaneous.” Chunji commented, perking up slightly at the thought. L. Joe could only shake his head. Chunji seemed to get excited no matter what was going to happen: he really just wanted to spend time with CAP. The knowledge only made him more determined to try and look out for the other boy: made him want to beat him that much more.

 

His determination must've bolstered his confidence, because the next thing he knew he was suggesting something, that he would consider taboo under the best of circumstances. “Or maybe he doesn't think it's as big a deal as you do.” There was a pause, where Chunji just gave him this long look, before he sighed, all traces of his earlier smile disappearing before L. Joe's eyes.

 

“You're concerned. Did Minsoo say something about this to you? Is that what's wrong?” he asked, tone sombre. “No, nothing like it.” L. Joe answered, earnestly, cursing himself for daring to mention the matter to the other boy. “Then what's wrong?” Chunji asked, but he didn't snap at him, or sound defensive, he was keeping a perfectly even tone.

 

L. Joe couldn't decide whether he found this Chunji or the one that yelled at him more intimidating.

 

“I just....I don't have a good feeling about this whole thing.” L. Joe explained. “What about it? About the date? About me hanging out with Minsoo? What is it that's bothering you?” Chunji enquired. As much as L. Joe was regretting the turn this conversation had taken, at least Chunji was still listening to what he had to say at this point.

 

“It's CAP that is bothering me. I just don't have a good vibe about this. I don't want you to be disappointed.” L. Joe tried to explain. Chunji scoffed slightly, reclining in his own seat to observe L. Joe across the table. “Please! You're friends with the guy! You can't have that bad a vibe about him!”

 

They could hear the sound of the bell ringing dully in the background of their argument, and L. Joe decided it would be better for him to just walk away from the whole thing. They needed to get to class. He started packing his books up, moving to put them on the trolley for the librarians to put away, not having enough time to do it himself, without being late to class.

 

Chunji let him go, standing, to wait for L. Joe to come back, he wanted an answer from the other boy. But L. Joe kept his eyes downcast, picking up his bag and moving to leave. Chunji darted forward quickly blocking his path. L. Joe huffed, crossing his arms in his annoyance, “Look Chunji, we have to get to class!”

 

“Not until you explain to me what your problem is!” he demanded. L. Joe rolled his eyes, he went to walk around Chunji, and Chunji slid to the right to block his path. L. Joe was hemmed in by the tables on either side of him, and Chunji in front of him. Deciding that he'd just have to go through he gave Chunji a hard shove, throwing all of his body weight against the other boy, forcing Chunji to go stumbling backwards.

 

But because of the awkward position they'd been in, his own legs got entangled with Chunji's, as the other boy grabbed his shoulders to try and stop his own fall. They managed to steady themselves, without too much trouble, but he could tell Chunji was about to yell at him for nearly knocking him over.

 

He looked down to meet Chunji's eye, while Chunji looked up to meet L. Joe's, and with their close proximity, somehow their lips met in a half kiss, not quite meeting evenly, so that L. Joe was half kissing Chunji's philtrum, and Chunji's bottom lip grazed the skin beneath his lower lip. They pushed away from each other uncomfortably, rubbing at their lips, slightly distracted.

 

“What the hell was that about? Do you like me or something, is that what's going on here?” Chunji questioned, sounding horrified, though whether that was because he was afraid L. Joe had feelings for him or because they'd just kissed in a very public space, L. Joe wasn't sure.

 

“Of course not!You were the clumsy one that dragged me closer to you.” L. Joe accused.

 

“Only because you pushed me and if I didn't grab a hold of something I would've fallen over!” Chunji exclaimed, petulantly.

 

“So it was an accident then. No big deal.” L. Joe stated with a shrug. Chunji eyed him looking scandalised, “You think I'm just going to let you say it was an accident and let that be the end of it?” he questioned. “Yes. Unless you're telling me it wasn't an accident, and you actually have feelings for me?” L. Joe stated, slyly.

 

Chunji only took a second to turn round on his heel, “It was an accident.” he agreed, leaving the library. L. Joe couldn't help smirking, “Aww, Chunji has a crush on me, and this whole date with CAP thing was just an excuse to talk to me and try and make me jealous. You should've just come right out and said so, Chunji. You know I wouldn't be mean to you, I'm your friend.” he teased, knowing that Chunji had heard him despite being a couple of metres ahead of him, when he saw Chunji cover his ears shouting “Shut up!” multiple times.