Chapter 22

In It to Win It

 

“So Changjo is having his shower now, and both L. Joe and Ricky have crashed out in the lounge room.” Niel informed Chunji as he entered his bedroom, only to find Chunji brooding in the bean bag in the corner of his room.

 

“Already?” he questioned, amused, “Hey! In their defence it IS like 2 am.” Niel responded, digging through his draws in search of something. “So, are we going to join them, or what?” he enquired, grinning as he triumphantly withdrew something from the bottom draw.

 

“Yeah I guess so.” Chunji sighed, not making any moves to get up from the bean bag, despite what he'd said. Sighing to himself, Niel moved back across the room, perching himself on the very edge of his bed. “So what's up with you?” he asked.

 

“Nothing.” Chunji responded automatically, shuffling slightly when he realised how close Niel had gotten without him noticing. “You really expect me to believe that? You never sit in my bean bag. You hate bean bags!” Niel pointed out.

 

Chunji frowned slightly, as though it had only just sunk in that he was indeed sitting in a bean bag, and he didn't like it in the slightest. “True.” he agreed, more because he had no reason he could deny it, than because he actually thought it was right.

 

His gaze drifted down to the clothes in Niel's lap, smirking slightly, as he recognised them. “I see, you're going to go to bed smelly again are you?” he questioned. Niel waved off the comment, refusing to allow Chunji to change the topic. “Don't even try. Just spill already, what's on your mind? You're supposed to be relaxing and having fun with your friends.” Niel stated, feeling a little exasperated with his friend.

 

“L. Joe and Ricky seem pretty close all of a sudden.” Chunji stated, tone completely flat. Niel paused, unsure whether Chunji was finally answering him, or if this was just his latest attempt to change the topic again. “Of course you'd think that.” he scoffed, only continuing when he noticed Chunji's confused look. “Those guys hang out together all the time. They've been that close for ages. You just never noticed.”

 

Chunji's frown deepened with the news, making Niel grin widely. “Wait, is that what's wrong? Is Chunji feeling jealous of all the love between Ricky and L. Joe?” he teased. “What? Of course not!” Chunji exclaimed, alarmed. “Oh really? Because you sure sound jealous to me.” Niel commented, disbelievingly.

 

“That's not it at all! Why would I be jealous?” he demanded. “Gee I don't know. Maybe you're just so used to having L. Joe trailing after you all the time, that you thought you had him all to yourself? Maybe you're jealous because L. Joe's affection is actually returned by Ricky? Maybe you wish you could be as open as they are? There could be many reasons.” Niel stated, trying to remain elusive.

 

“But you don't believe any of those reasons.” Chunji stated, knowingly. “No, I don't.” Niel agreed, sending Chunji a cheeky grin, “I think you're just jealous because secretly you believed that L. Joe treated you that way because you were special. I think finally realising that he treats other people well too, makes you feel disappointed. I even think you might've been secretly hoping that L. Joe liked you, like you like CAP.” he continued, Chunji's face flushing despite himself.

 

He'd never consciously thought any of those things, but hearing them aloud, they did seem to resonate within him. Maybe he'd thought all of those things, at one point or another and he just hadn't realised it, those thoughts never being formulated into words.

 

“They've really been like that for ages?” he questioned, doubtfully. Niel nodded, looking at him as though he thought that Chunji were bizarre for even asking. “Then how come I've never seen them on the same side of the school before?” he asked, secretly a little annoyed by the thought that L. Joe might've been trying to be secretive about his friendship; that he might've been trying to keep Chunji out of the loop on purpose.

 

“Because you spend all your time completely wrapped up in your own little world. You don't pay attention to stuff like who L. Joe's friends with, simply because it's never been important to you before.” Niel explained with a shrug. “Am I really that self-absorbed?” Chunji questioned, a little appalled with himself.

 

“Yes you are.” Niel answered easily, earning him a half-hearted kick from the reclining boy. “But I wouldn't worry about it. We're all very much aware of it, and love you anyway. Especially L. Joe.” Niel teased, cackling at the glare Chunji sent him.

 

“But don't worry it's not all bad, there's good news too.” Niel assured the other boy. Chunji eyed his friendly hopefully, “Really? What is it?” he asked, only for Niel to grin at him mischievously, “I've booked myself in for my driving test.” cheering triumphantly, as he rolled over his bed only to fall off the other side trying to avoid another kick from Chunji, making the other boy laugh.