Chapter 26

In It to Win It

The silence of the room rang painfully in Chunji's ears as he tried to process what had just happened. He was certain that the entire room must've been staring at him, as though making him uncomfortable would force him to tell them what they'd been talking about. His cheeks flushed darkly, but as he looked around the room, he found no one paying him the slightest bit of attention; too wrapped up in themselves and their own lives.

 

His embarrassment gave way to irritation, as he frowned disapprovingly at his classmates, unable to believe how self-absorbed they were. Didn't they care that L. Joe had just stormed out of the room, for seemingly no reason at all? Hadn't they noticed? Well he had certainly noticed and he most definitely did care, if the swirling pit of remorse in his gut was anything to go by.

 

Maybe he could catch up to the other boy and apologise?

 

The class was dismissed, while he was weighing up the probabilities associated with L. Joe utilising each of the four school gates to get out, so he had to hurry to put his things away. He tried to race out of the classroom, but a hand tugged on his upper arm lightly, pulling him to the side of the door. He looked behind him, irritated scowl firmly in place for being delayed, but it melted when he realised it was CAP that wanted to speak to him.

 

Maybe he was going to tell him what he and L. Joe had been arguing about? Maybe he was planning on giving him some insight into what L. Joe had been thin—

 

“Chanhee, will you go out with me?” CAP asked, tone light and easy, as though he weren't putting Chunji's dreams on a platter before him and inviting him to take them for himself. He stared at the other boy numbly, his head rushing with the unexpected question, battling with his earlier harried thoughts of guilt and hounding L. Joe, until he couldn't think straight about any of them.

 

“What?” he questioned, breathlessly, not quite believing that he could have heard CAP correctly. “I asked if you wanted to go out with me.” CAP returned with a shrug, and a cocky smirk, the one that used to make him go weak at the knees, but now he found himself too distracted to really think about it.

 

“I thought that was what you said.” he murmured, his heart hammering painfully in his chest. He knew he needed to get out of there; that he needed to give the other boy a simple yes or no answer and be done with it. He needed to go find L. Joe and apologise to him, for whatever set him off about his question. But at the same time, this was everything Chunji had ever wanted, before L. Joe came along.

 

All he'd had his heart set on for the last few years was trying to make CAP realise that he wanted to be with him. He'd longed for the day when CAP would ask him this very same question; he'd imagined how perfect life would be with the two of them together. He'd imagined this very moment so many times. All of his dreams were right there for the taking and all he had to do was say yes; he'd finally gotten his chance.

 

And yet all he could think about was making things better with L. Joe.

 

The moment his dreams came true, and all he could think about was L. Joe.

 

Even Chunji wasn't stupid enough to ignore what that meant. “No, but thanks for...asking me..” he answered, his voice going softer, as the awkwardness of his own reply resounded in his ears. He kind of wanted to cringe at how pathetic he sounded.

 

CAP blinked at him as though he thought Chunji was an alien creature. “What? What do you mean no?” he questioned, confused. “I know you have feelings for me, Chanhee, and now here I am, asking you out and you say, no? What are you playing at?” he demanded. “I'm not playing at anything.... I just.... Don't think L. Joe would approve of me dating you.” Chunji responded carefully.

 

“L. Joe? Since when do you give a rats about what he feels? You've done nothing but trample all over him from the day you met.” he commented snidely. Chunji's cheeks flushed with shame. “While that's probably true, it doesn't mean I don't care about him. He's my friend, and thus my boyfriend must meet his approval.” he answered sternly.

 

“You're making excuses.” CAP responded, seeing through Chunji's words easily. “The Chanhee I know doesn't value L. Joe's feelings so highly. And he certainly wouldn't do without something he wants, to appease another.” he stated plainly. “You have a point.” Chunji conceded. “But then, the Chanhee you knew would have jumped at the chance to date you. But then, I guess he's not around anymore now is he?” Chunji stated, pointedly.

 

“You know what? You want your precious L. Joe more than your dream boyfriend, that's your prerogative, just don't come crying to me tomorrow, begging me to reconsider.” he sneered, which Chunji easily shrugged off. “I won't.” he answered. CAP scoffed strolling away, quickly dialling up another girl in their grade, and a good friend of Minyoung's to ensure that his new girlfriend would really stick it to his ex.

 

Chunji kind of wanted to feel suspicious about how CAP could move on from that rejection so quickly, and hence, what his motive was in asking Chunji out in the first place, but he didn't have time at that moment. He had to try and find L. Joe and every additional moment he spent standing outside his English classroom took L. Joe further away from himself and made him harder to find.

 

He raced out of the building, still trying to decide which exit he should use, only to stop dead in his tracks. Relief washed over him as his eyes scanned over the familiar form of the blonde haired boy, but that relief quickly turned into confusion as he realised how strange the situation looked.

 

L. Joe looked as though he'd been sitting at the picnic table, but now he was standing, inching backwards ever so slightly, away from the man before him. They two of them appeared to be talking amicably enough but there was something about L. Joe's demeanour that seemed off. Chunji got the impression that L. Joe wasn't happy to be talking with the older man, whoever he was.

 

That was all it took to get him into action, striding over to the other two men confidently, wrapping an arm around L. Joe's waist as he sidled up to him. He was so grateful that L. Joe didn't shimmy away from him, at the unexpectedly intimate touch. Eyes fixed on the older man, he leaned in pressing a light peck to L. Joe's cheek that he prayed the other boy would forget about later in his gratitude, as he mumbled, “Hey baby, who is this?”

 

The older man narrowed his eyes at Chunji, angrily, which made something inside him feel that much prouder of what he'd done. “I'm sorry Chunji, this is an old teacher of mine, from when I was in the States, Mr Cho.” L. Joe answered, with what Chunji was certain was relief in his tone. That only made Chunji more confident with what he was doing.

 

“Ah it's a pleasure to meet you Chunji, and you are....?” Mr Cho stated politely, sticking his hand out for Chunji to shake. Despite his polite words, his eyes were angry, and Chunji had a feeling that Mr Cho didn't mean a word he was saying to him. He looked as though he thought Chunji was intruding.

 

Good.

 

Chunji took up the other man's hand, shaking it firmly as he responded, with a grin, “L. Joe's boyfriend.” he felt the reflexive jolt through Mr Cho's hand, and then the tightening of his grip, so hard it was nearly painful, but he refused to show it. He'd had a feeling the comment would irk the older man, though why it should, since he was only L. Joe's ex-teacher still eluded him.

 

“So happy to hear L. Joe's got someone to care for him over here.” the older man grit out, the words clearly very difficult for him to say. “That he does.” Chunji agreed, giving L. Joe what he hoped was a reassuring squeeze around his midsection, though he couldn't be sure whether the other boy understood it's meaning or not.

 

“L. Joe and I were just having a chat about old times. Nothing that would interest you I'm sure.” Mr Cho stated politely to Chunji who narrowed his eyes in suspicion, “We wouldn't want you to bore your boyfriend, now would we, L. Joe?” he pressed, Chunji noting the way that L. Joe seemed to tremble slightly beneath his fingertips at Mr Cho's suggestion. Instinct told him that there was nothing L. Joe wanted less than to be left alone with this man.

 

“On the contrary, nothing would interest me more than hearing about L. Joe's time at his old school.” Chunji began, combatively, delighting in the concern he saw flash in the older man's eyes. “But unfortunately we can't stay. L. Joe and I really need to be getting home now.” he informed the older man, politely, giving him a very stern glare to help get his point across.

 

“Ah of course. Another time then.” Mr Cho answered, recognising that he should give up his pursuit for the moment. Chunji had to resist the urge to smirk victoriously, as he steered L. Joe away from the older man. L. Joe didn't need him to act as a guide, he knew, and yet he still couldn't help doing so.

 

“Thanks.” L. Joe sighed, sounding very relieved to be away from the older man, once they were out of sight, and waiting in the bus line. “No problem. Who was that guy?” Chunji enquired, sending an absent minded glare in the direction they had just come from.

 

“He's Mr Cho, my old geography teacher, from when I lived in America.” L. Joe stated simply. “You mean he really is a teacher?” Chunji demanded, horrified. “Yeah. Why?” L. Joe asked, absent-mindedly, not really sure what to expect from someone who didn't know Mr Cho as well as he did.

 

“He just doesn't have a very teacher-ish vibe to him. He seems mega creepy. Wouldn't want to be in his class.” Chunji shuddered. L. Joe laughed, but there was a hollowness to the sound that probably gave him away, “He'd be so disappointed to hear that. If you were in his class, you'd probably be one of his favourite students.”

 

“Were you?” Chunji asked, suddenly. L. Joe stumbled slightly, not having expected Chunji to cut so close to the truth within 5 minutes of knowing Mr Cho. Was it all really that obvious; was it plain to see for everyone, even here? “What would make you think something like that?” he questioned, nervously, trying to buy himself some time to think of a suitable lie he could tell Chunji that wouldn't make him suspicious.

 

“Well don't you think it's a little strange that you happen to run into your old teacher here at your new school. I mean he's from the other side of the world, what on earth could he be doing here?” Chunji pressed, suspiciously.

 

More than anything L. Joe wished that he could make a remark about that comment, but he was too afraid to say anything, lest Chunji start asking questions. Chunji had never taken much of an interest in him before; he didn't want him taking an interest in him about this. “According to what he told me, he's here on business. Apparently he's been offered a job here, and he was coming here to sort out the details.”

 

“They offered him a teaching job just like that?” Chunji questioned, sounding unconvinced. “He's originally from here. He moved over to the States about 10 years ago, but he always said he was just waiting for a good time to come home; for someone to offer him a job. And this school did.” L. Joe answered with a shrug. “Still, pretty strange coincidence, running into an ex-student of his like that don't you think?” Chunji questioned, still sounding dubious.

 

“Yeah I guess so.” L. Joe stated, non-committally. Chunji looked like he was going to ask him something, the concern lingering in his eyes making L. Joe feel uncomfortable. He had a feeling that he knew what Chunji was about to ask him, and so before the other boy could start to ask the question burning in his gaze, he jumped in. “So I'm curious when we started going out.” he teased.

 

Immediately the glimmer of concern was gone, replaced with a rush of colour to the other boy's face, in his shame. “Um, about that....” Chunji began uncertainly, his gaze dropping away, unable to meet L. Joe's eyes, knowing that the other boy was laughing at him. “I needed to introduce myself as something.” he mumbled, petulantly. “But as my boyfriend?” L. Joe questioned, incredulously.

 

“Shut up! I was thinking on my feet.” Chunji defend himself, tone sounding miserable. “And that's what you came up with?” L. Joe questioned, laughing. Chunji swung his arm, trying to smack him for his cheekiness, only to miss as L. Joe darted out of the way with another laugh. “Well it's not my fault! You're the one that looked like you wanted to run away from your teacher, I figured you could use some backup.” Chunji explained.

 

“And you couldn't have provided that as my friend?” L. Joe asked, trying to sound disbelieving. “No, I don't think so.... He was looking at you funny....” Chunji mumbled. “Was he now?” L. Joe questioned, tone soft, allowing Chunji to get close to him once again. “Yeah, I just, had this feeling that it'd throw him off for me to say that. I figured it might help.” Chunji explained, guiltily.

 

“Yeah, telling my old teacher I'm gay, is doing me a load of good.” he commented, sarcastically, regretting his words even as he said them. He felt weak, having to go out of his way to lie, knowing his words would probably hurt Chunji. He didn't want to do that, and yet to tell Chunji that he was right would only earn him more questions.

 

Much to his surprise, and relief though Chunji wasn't prepared to tolerate the attitude L. Joe was giving him, his gaze exasperated as he crossed his arms. “Well I don't think it's going to do you that much harm, is it? I mean it's not like you're going to be seeing him anymore, so what's the big deal?” he demanded.

 

“I guess you're right.” L. Joe murmured carefully, but he wasn't prepared to give up teasing the other boy just yet, “But did you really have to make it seem like you're the dominant one?” he asked, shaking his head irritated. “I dunno, you seemed to go along with it so naturally. I think you really wanted it that way.” Chunji teased back.

 

“You wish. If we really were a couple you wouldn't be stupid enough to even suggest that for a moment.” L. Joe sneered, disliking any thoughts that reminded him of his old teacher, needing to suppress the urge to shudder despite the warmth of his friendly conversation with Chunji.