Chapter 20

In It to Win It

 

“So I hear that you're making nice with Chanhee again.” L. Joe whispered to CAP as they sat, writing notes in English that afternoon. He'd been feeling a little bit unsettled around Chunji ever since their conversation at the start of their P.E. Class. It felt like he might've said too much. He felt a little too exposed around him now. He thought a bit of space for the rest of the afternoon might do him some good.

 

Besides, CAP had been pestering him to join him again.

 

CAP's gaze swerved over to him immediately, clearly uncertain where L. Joe was planning to go with his comment. “I suppose you could say that.” CAP answered, knowing full well that L. Joe would find out about his nicer treatment of Chunji. There was no way he would've believed that he could keep something like that secret from L. Joe, he had to have known that.

 

“Look you don't have to be worried or anything.” CAP tried to assure the other boy, L. Joe eyeing him curiously, “Oh? Is that so?” CAP nodded. “It's just business.” he explained, making L. Joe snort. “What business could you two possibly have?” he enquired, derisively.

 

“He's helping me with my school work that's all.” CAP stated. L. Joe resisted the urge to shake his head at the other boy's explanation. “I'm surprised you'd let him help you, given your opinion of him.” L. Joe commented, shuffling slightly in his seat.

 

“When you've got parents like mine you can't afford to be choosy with these matters. They're always breathing down my neck about getting into a good university. I'm never going to manage it on my current grades, so I'll get help from someone in a position to help me improve. Nothing to it.” CAP commented with a shrug.

 

“But asking Chanhee to help you with your studies? Are you sure that's really a good idea?” L. Joe pushed, only realising after he'd spoken that CAP didn't seem to known that Chunji was actually in love with him. Because he did, all he could see was how this situation would encourage Chunji's feelings.

 

“Are you kidding? He's the top kid in our grade, why wouldn't it be a good idea to ask him for help with our assignments?” CAP demanded, with that intense gaze of his, that left L. Joe feeling a little panicky. He'd really been hoping that CAP wouldn't call him on that little slip up. “Well, I mean, you already tried getting his help once before. You couldn't even maintain your focus for an hour.” L. Joe pointed out, hurriedly, scrambling to think of a suitable explanation for his previous comment.

 

“Maybe so, but it paid off, now didn't it? My grades have improved. If he keeps helping me, I'll breeze into university and my parents will lay off about how much time I spend with Minyoung.” CAP responded.

 

“But you're always telling me how you hate Chanhee's guts!” L. Joe said, frowning.

 

“I know, and that hasn't changed. He still treats you horribly; he's violent, rude and walks around with his head in the clouds. And I don't like him one bit.” CAP stated easily, but his gaze softened as he looked at L. Joe, who was clenching his pen tightly in order to stop himself from trying to defend Chunji again. “L. Joe, this is the most important year for your studies. As such, school results must take priority this year, over everything else. Including my dislike of Chanhee. As annoying as he is, his brain is my ticket in. Only a fool would put a petty personal quarrel first. I can always go back to hating him again later.” CAP told him.

 

L. Joe didn't really feel like responding to CAP after hearing his little lecture. He couldn't believe that CAP was being so fickle. No wonder Chunji felt like he was going on a roller-coaster. CAP was playing with his feelings like he was a yo-yo. He half suspected that CAP's actions were deliberate; it seemed like the only way he could justify such cruelty, and yet, it certainly didn't seem like it. It just seemed like CAP was oblivious and uncaring.

 

He'd really have to up his game for this next task. He'd improved a lot for those exams. He'd even shown that he could easily take out a first. But with Chunji's heartbreak right before the exams, he'd assumed that Chunji wouldn't care about exams anymore. As a result, he'd slacked off right at the end. But apparently, the moment hadn't lasted, so he'd have to make up for it now.

 

CAP could keep playing with him like this indefinitely. The only way he was going to be able to cut the ties that kept Chunji tethered to CAP, would be to beat him. He couldn't leave any lingering doubts in the other boy's mind that he was a contender.