Chapter 16

In It to Win It

If anyone had asked L. Joe he would've told them that he was sitting out on the pavement because he wanted to get some fresh air. His eyes remained trained on the entrance to their little cul-de-sac, as he fiddled with a few blades of grass unfortunate enough to have ended up between his fingertips. He'd come home from school and gotten changed, heading outside right away to start his wait for Chunji.

 

As much as he knew he should be dedicating the time to his studies, if he was to accomplish his goals, he couldn't bring himself to do anything about it right at that moment. The only reason he had that goal in the first place, was so that he'd be able to look out for his friend. That same friend, who was currently out on a date with CAP. He wanted to be there the second he got back, so he'd be able to find out exactly what happened.

 

He found anxiety pooling in his stomach, which he would swear was concern for his friend, if anyone were to question him about it. Though whether he was concerned that Chunji would tell him his date went bad or that it went well, he was unsure. He wasn't certain which response would make him feel better.

 

He'd been sitting there, waiting for at least two hours, grateful that he'd brought his iPod down with him, to keep him company as he waited. He looked up at the grey clouds, wondering if it was going to start raining soon. If Chunji didn't come home soon, then he'd know that things had gone well, and he needn't bother waiting for him.

 

Chunji probably wouldn't want to speak to him anyway. They didn't talk outside of school. That's just the way things were, despite how close they lived to one another.

 

He stood, rubbing his hands against his thighs, only to spot a familiar boy trudging slowly down the road. Something about the way he held himself, spoke volumes of disappointment to L. Joe. So he started walking closer, putting his iPod away in his back pocket.

 

Chunji stopped walking when he was standing in front of him, about 100 metres from either of their homes. L. Joe didn't need to say anything to make Chunji start talking to him, he was sure. Chunji was so expressive he wouldn't be able to contain himself. But Chunji remained quiet: solemn, which concerned L. Joe far more than he wished it would.

 

“You were right.” he mumbled, the words stinging something as they toppled from his lips. L. Joe didn't respond to the soft words, unable to think of anything he could say that would make Chunji feel better about everything. “He was making out with Minyoung when I showed up.” he continued, miserable.

 

“Niel mentioned something about them going out again when I spoke with him the other day.” L. Joe agreed, trying to sound understanding at the same time, but probably failing miserably.

 

Chunji smiled weakly, “Oh that's what he said? Guess I only heard what I wanted to hear then.” he stated.

 

“You're getting back kind of late aren't you?” L. Joe pushed, trying not to come across as curious about how Chunji had spent most of the afternoon after that, unfortunate beginning to his first date with CAP. Chunji flushed, shuffling uncomfortably, “Yes well....” he began, hesitating.

 

“What did you do after you walked in on that sight?” L. Joe pressed again, starting to feel concerned by Chunji's hesitation. Surely he just ran away and stood CAP up after witnessing that, because of the other boy's..... He wasn't sure whether he should call it carelessness, or if he should suspect something far more sinister behind that scene.

 

“Well, I'd already told him that I'd meet him and, I mean... well, I couldn't just....” Chunji said, fumbling through his words, worried a the response that he'd get from the other boy. L. Joe could only shake his head in incredulity, “You still went on that stupid date with him, didn't you?” he questioned, not really expecting much of an answer.

 

“It wasn't a date! At least not really....” Chunji said, trying to defend himself, his cheeks flushing with shame at the thought that he came across as desperate and pathetic to his friend. All he really wanted to do was to cry and be miserable about the whole thing in the privacy of his own home, and then pretend the whole sorry incident had never happened.

 

“Why is that? What were you guys doing?” L. Joe questioned, doubtfully crossing his arms across his chest, at the other boy's sudden turn around. Just hours earlier he'd been fighting tooth and nail for the right to be able to call their meeting a date, and now he was trying not to call it that? Just what had happened to make him change his mind like that?

 

“He said that he still needed help for his English essay so....” Chunji stated, shrugging, his discomfort quickly turning into irritation. “There are you done quizzing me about this whole thing now? Are you happy? Can I go?” he demanded, irately, but L. Joe could see the tears welling in the older boy's eyes.

 

He sighed, tugging Chunji towards him, wrapping his arms around the other boy in a comforting hug. He forced Chunji's face into his neck, as he rubbed his back, knowing that after that afternoon, all the dramatic boy really needed right now was an opportunity to cry. He'd thought Chunji might struggle against him, but his arms quickly clung onto him in desperation, as one lot of tears after another slid down his cheeks.

 

Chunji didn't allow himself to indulge in the wails and sobs dying to break free from behind his closed lips, but his body shook from the effort it took to try and contain them. He was still a man; he still had his dignity, and there were some things his supportive friend didn't need to see.

 

It took Chunji a few minutes to be able to still the flow of tears cascading down his cheeks. It was only once he calmed down that he realised how tightly he'd been clinging to L. Joe, making him embarrassed. He almost kept holding on just so that he wouldn't have to face the other boy after what he'd done.

 

His forehead still resting against the other boy's shoulder, he couldn't help the soft whisper that slid from between his lips, “It's so sad. The only person here for me at times like this is you: the only person who cares, and I spend most of my time hating you.” he moaned, L. Joe rubbing his back sympathetically, as he bit his lip to keep from laughing at the other boy.

 

Chunji was so melodramatic.

 

“It's not that bad. CAP is a tool, but at least you know now right?” L. Joe pointed out. “I always know Minsoo is going out with Minyoung: they go out of their way to rub my nose in it all the time. But that never seems to stop me.” Chunji complained, a fatigued smile drawing to his lips.

 

“If you know that CAP and Minyoung are going out, then why do you put yourself through all this? Are you hoping to steal him away from her or something?” L. Joe asked as Chunji stepped back from his embrace, rubbing at his cheeks roughly, to try and dispel any trace of his tears. That only made the skin turn pink, and rosy from the abuse.

 

“Not really. The two of them are always breaking up and getting back together. They're always fighting. They're never happy even when they are together, one of them ends up cheating almost as soon as they get back together. I just think I might make a better match for him, that's all.” Chunji explained with a sigh.

 

“You shouldn't get mixed up with people like that. You don't deserve to be cheated on.” L. Joe pointed out, forcefully.

 

Chunji looked at him for a moment, and the faintest trace of a real smile lit up his features. “If we ever got together he wouldn't cheat on me, I'm sure.” he answered. “Anyway, I've got to get inside, it's getting late. But thanks L. Joe. I really appreciate this.” he stated, brushing passed his friend to go inside.