Chapter 6

In It to Win It

 

Chunji sighed as he entered the classroom for the last class of the day. All of the curtains were shut, with the fans on at their highest speed, for which he was eternally grateful. After running around for an hour, and then sitting out in the sun during lunch, Chunji felt overheated. He was drenched in his own sweat, making him feel gross and sticky but there was nothing he could do to try and fix it until he got home.

 

Overall he was pretty glad that he had this class last. It was pretty light on in terms of coursework, so he was able to spend the afternoon, dozing in and out of what was going on. He'd had the teacher before, and experience had taught him that his classmates tended to pay even less attention than he did.

 

Which meant that Chunji would be able to relax slightly, in that class, without actually getting in trouble. He'd laid down, splayed all over his desk, trying to go to sleep. But he was still more of a nerd than any of the other kids in his class.

 

The only downside was finding out that Niel wouldn't be joining him again. It had looked like they were going to have 2 classes together, at the start of the day, which Chunji had thought was too few as it was. Now that it had been reduced to 1, he found himself regretting his earlier dislike of having 2 classes together. He'd probably jinxed himself.

 

He would have loved to be able to try to justify that sacrifice with the knowledge that he was spending 3 classes everyday, in the same room as Minsoo. He'd love to be able to say that spending half his day staring at his crush made anything worthwhile. But he couldn't. Partly because just looking in Minsoo's direction reminded him of the stern reprimand the other boy had given him mere hours earlier, and partly because he shared those classes with L. Joe.

 

That was the other reason he couldn't say that he was happy with the arrangement. How was it physically possible for him to be unlucky enough to have to endure 2 classes with the boy, who seemed to make it his mission in life to annoy him? Everywhere he went he managed to ruin things for him, leaving him horrifically embarrassed. And he just had to have more classes with him than he did with Niel, as well.

 

Still, at least he could stare off into space, lazily daydreaming about Minsoo, across the other side of the classroom, without fear. He had the perfect cover; the fact that his desk was facing them. It was only natural that he'd be looking at them. Which meant that Chunji could stare at Minsoo for an entire hour, without having to try and pretend like he was doing otherwise.

 

The teacher started the class, handing out a round of books, from their class set, ensuring that everyone had a copy of their first set text. Everyone was talking so Chunji indulged himself, allowing himself to stare at Minsoo while he waited for the teacher to bring him a copy of the book, when the door opened, and a slightly panting figure made his way into the classroom.

 

It took him a moment to realise that there was a bit of a disturbance going on, that had taken everyone's attention. He only realised when he saw Minsoo smiling, clapping and waving at someone else, and curiosity overwhelmed him. He was curious who Minsoo was so happy to see; he never normally reacted like that to seeing someone.

 

His gaze fell on the person who was now, exchanging a word with the teacher, before being handed two copies of the book and walking over. Chunji had a feeling that he must've been smiling because the sight of that boy seemed to rob him of it, when he recognised the boy.

 

Make that 3 classes.

 

“Hey. I got you a copy too.” L. Joe informed him, putting the book down, under his chin. Chunji eyed the book quizzically, noting L. Joe's disinterested expression as he looked around the classroom. Minsoo and his friends had been hollering at L. Joe trying to get his attention from the moment that he'd entered the room, but L. Joe only lifted his hand in a partial wave, before ignoring them once more.

 

He'd walked all the way across the classroom, passing at least a half a dozen empty seats where he could've chosen to sit instead, before he plopped down beside Chunji. There was no one else sitting anywhere near them. L. Joe had clearly been making a statement that he intended on sitting together for this class, one that everyone else seemed to have realised.

 

“Thanks.” Chunji began hesitantly, no longer feeling comfortable sprawling all over the desk. He felt like he should show off his good posture when he was around L. Joe, like he should try and convince the other boy that he was better than he'd been acting before. Though maybe that was just because he could feel Minsoo's eyes burning into him from across the room.

 

“You didn't tell me you were in this class.” Chunji murmured, secretively, gaze falling down to observe the book he had clenched between his fingers, examining the synopsis on the back cover. From what he could tell this book was going to be dead boring. To think nearly ¼ of his grade for this subject, depended on it.

 

“I didn't think you were in it.” L. Joe explained, simply.

 

“So that's how you do things is it? Not mentioning them unless they're relevant to the person you're talking to?” Chunji demanded, making sure to keep his tone quiet, so that he wouldn't risk creating an uproar with Minsoo again. He didn't know if his heart could take his cruel words twice in one day.

 

L. Joe just shrugged in response to Chunji's question. “You don't seem the type to mind. And it's not like I'm dying to be listened to.”

 

As the teacher tried to gain control of the class, to explain the general summary of the story to the class, and the pages they were expected to have read before class the next day, L. Joe leaned closer to Chunji. His voice was soft, barely a whisper, as though he realised just how desperate Chunji was to keep this matter a secret, and was trying to assist him in that goal. “Do you like CAP?” he asked, softly.

 

Chunji's cheeks probably flamed at the embarrassing question, easily managing to keep a straight face, as he shook his head 'no' his breath caught in his chest, making him incapable of speaking for a moment. It felt horrible to have to lie about his feelings like that. “I already told you that. Now, knock it off, or we'll get in trouble.” he admonished, only to be stopped dead when L. Joe commented, his voice adopting an almost airy undertone to it as he whispered back, “Well for someone that doesn't like him, you sure were staring at him an awful lot before you realised I was in this class too.”

 

Chunji didn't think there was anything he could really say to a comment like that. After all, L. Joe had a point.