Chapter 29

In It to Win It

L. Joe worried his lip between his sharp little teeth nervously. Today was the last occasion he'd have to see Chunji again. He was pretty sure that Chunji was avoiding him, and had been since the last day he'd spoken with Mr Cho. Suffice it to say that he and Mr Cho were no longer on speaking terms, but he hadn't really expected the relationship to end any differently.

 

That had been their last day of school. They'd had a week off to prepare for their college entrance exams. He'd barely slept that week, hurriedly trying to revise for all of his exams. There had been no time to talk to one another; each too caught up with their work, and the exams. The English exam had come early but there were so many people, L. Joe hadn't been able to find Chunji amongst them. He hadn't been able to wish him luck, or to enquire how he'd gone. But he couldn't be sure whether it was by accident or design on Chunji's part.

 

Not seeing him in person had to be on purpose though. He didn't care how busy Chunji was studying for the exams, there was no way he could never see him; they lived too close for him to fall for that. Even Chunji wouldn't be so serious a student as to lock himself in his room, would he? Not even taking a trip down to the mailbox, or going for a walk or anything for 3 weeks? That was too much even for him, surely?

 

He'd messaged Niel anxiously, but he'd always received the same response; that he shouldn't stress about it so much. That Chunji was fine. He knew that; but he wanted to see it for his own eyes. He needed to make sure. He needed to see him again. He didn't want that to be the last day they'd spend together for the rest of their lives. He needed to apologise for whatever he'd done; whatever he'd said that had led to this.

 

He settled into the hard plastic seat in the hall. He'd arrived 30 minutes early, hoping that if he were early he might see Chunji shuffle over to his seat, before the crowds got too dense for him to locate the older boy. He was determined that he wasn't leaving today without having spoken to Chunji. He'd chase him down if he had to.

 

When he felt the thud of someone sliding into the seat beside him, he looked up hurriedly only to meet Chunji's wide eyes, and bright smile. He dived forward, arms encircling the older boy happily, feeling like he might burst into tears but not sure why. Chunji laughed at the exuberant reaction. “What are you doing here? Why are you sitting next to me?Aren't you ignoring me?” he demanded, quickly.

 

Chunji's eyebrows quirked up in confusion, “Because this is my assigned seat?” he proposed, with a grin. L. Joe's eyes drifted down to the name tag on the back of the seat, only to find that it did say 'Lee Chanhee'. He rubbed the back of his head, awkwardly, “Guess I forgot that's your real name. I'm just so used to calling you Chunji.” he stated. “So then you are ignoring me?” he questioned, softly, not really wanting Chunji to hear what he'd said.

 

“Why would I be ignoring you?” Chunji asked him, quizzically. “You mean you're not?” L. Joe asked, confused. “No.” Chunji scoffed. He eyed L. Joe with suspicion for a moment, before something seemed to occur to him, sending a blank look at him. “Ricky didn't tell you, did he?” he asked, shaking his head as though he already knew what L. Joe's response was going to be.

 

“Tell me what?” L. Joe asked, perplexed. Chunji sighed, sending L. Joe an apologetic look. “I'm going to kill him when I find him...” he grumbled, “Sorry, L. Joe. I told Ricky to tell you... My parents came and picked me up from my last exam and we went down to stay with my aunt for a couple of weeks. They wanted us to celebrate the end of my big exams as a family. I knew I wouldn't get any reception while I was there, since I've been to visit before, so I told Ricky to tell you I'd be gone for a few weeks, but that I'd be back in time for our graduation ceremony.” Chunji explained, guiltily.

 

“Oh.” L. Joe stated blinking, feeling relieved to know that Chunji hadn't been ignoring him like he'd thought he must've been, to be able to ignore him for so long. “You could've sent me a message yourself, you know.” he chided, crossing his arms, sulking. “My exams finished in the morning; you had an exam that afternoon so I knew you wouldn't get my message, since you said your mum confiscates your phone to make you study.” he exclaimed, defensively.

 

L. Joe looked like he wanted to argue, but seemed to think better of it. Chunji was right after all. “True. Did you have fun?” he enquired. Chunji rolled his eyes, “Of course not.” but he was grinning all the same. “You just got back?” L. Joe questioned. Chunji nodded, “Just this morning. I thought I was going to be late.” he confessed.

 

“So did you sort things out with Mr Cho?” Chunji enquired politely. “Yes, before you took off. I told him I wasn't interested and that if he came to Korea hoping I would dump my boyfriend for him then he was sorely mistaken.” L. Joe informed him. “How did he take it?” Chunji asked, a politely uncomfortable look masking his true emotions from L. Joe's probing gaze.

 

“Awful. But I expected as much. It was kind of overdue.” L. Joe stated simply. “I see.” Chunji responded, clearly uncertain whether he should be offering L. Joe his condolences or giving him a high five. He frowned slightly, forcing himself to say the words he'd kept to himself for so long. “He's kind of the reason I came to Korea. And the reason I was really non-studious when we first met. I was really shy, when I was younger. He was the only teacher who came from Korea like me, and knew how hard a time I was having. He looked out for me, and I found myself fighting to be the best in his class in the hopes of proving that I was worthy of his attention. We got closer, and somehow he and I we... started....that.... It came out, causing a huge big scandal. He was fired from his old job, and my parents, haven't treated me the same ever since. They thought I was corrupted by Western values, and insisted I come back to Korea at once; to finish high school. That's why I transferred at the start of the year.” L. Joe explained, feeling like a load was lifted off of his chest as he explained everything to the boy before him.

 

His words hung between them, heavy in the momentary silence as Chunji collected himself together. “I didn't realise.” Chunji murmured softly, thoughtfully. “I mean I've known for a while that something had happened, but I didn't know....” he trailed off knowing he didn't need to elaborate on what he was saying for L. Joe to understand him. The younger boy nodded, a goofy smile plastered to his lips, his fringe sliding down into his eyes, “It's okay. I would've been very surprised if you knew the whole story. But things are better now. My parents made me leave the country before I had the guts to tell him that I wanted to put our relationship behind me; that it was a mistake. Now I've laid the matter to rest once and for all.” L. Joe stated firmly.

 

“You sure?” Chunji pressed. “Yeah, of course I'm sure.” L. Joe answered, confused. “And Mr Cho agrees with you and has no plans on trying anything on you again?” Chunji persisted. L. Joe narrowed his eyebrows together in consternation. “Yes, Chunji I'm sure. He told me so himself. He said he didn't want anything to do with someone like me; that he was looking for someone more mature than myself.” L. Joe stated, eyeing Chunji curiously. “Why are you being so persistent about this?” he demanded.

 

Chunji's gaze was firm, his features serious as he raised his eyes met L. Joe's. “Because I wanted to be sure before I told you that I'm not interested in CAP, and I haven't been for a long time. He actually asked me out, and I turned him down without a second thought. No regrets whatsoever. I don't care about him. I realised, I love you, and I would really like it if you'd be my boyfriend.” Chunji stated, in a hurried whisper.

 

L. Joe's eyes widened, not quite believing what he was hearing with his own ears, his heart thudding painfully fast in his chest. He smiled so wide, he thought his face was going to split in two, but the moment he went to open his mouth to give the older boy an answer, a nearby teacher shushed them.

 

Looking around bewildered, L. Joe realised that everyone had filed into the hall, and taken their assigned seats. The lights were low, and there was a speaker on stage, in the middle of some big long speech, he'd already missed part of.

 

How had he missed all that?

 

He still wasn't prepared to leave the other boy without an answer but another look quickly told him that the same teacher that had shushed him was watching him closely, eyes hardened in a glare, ready to kick him out of the ceremony at a moment's notice. He gulped, sheepishly closing his mouth, and sliding down in his seat, hoping that Chunji wouldn't mind having to wait a little bit.

 

On the contrary the other boy seemed to be enjoying himself plenty, just smothering giggles at his expense. L. Joe could feel himself pouting, until Chunji's warm fingers slid over his own, in the space between their seats. He looked over only to catch Chunji sending him a light grin, his eyes shining with mirth. Chunji knew what he was going to say he hoped, making sure to the give older boy a reassuring squeeze and a grin of his own in return.

 

When they called their row to stand, and file backstage to go onstage to collect their certificates, L. Joe took advantage of the confusion, and the deafening cacophony created by their chairs sliding along the ground, to tug Chunji back slightly by their still loosely connected fingers and whispered in his ear, “I'd love to be your boyfriend.” noting the way Chunji's smile only seemed to grow in response.

 

L. Joe felt like he was in the middle of such a whirlwind of emotions right at that moment. Too giddy to think straight that he barely noticed the raised eyebrow Niel sent their way as they passed. Not knowing how to explain with that same stern teacher giving him the eye as he walked, L. Joe could do nothing but shrug his shoulders, sending Niel a wicked grin and a thumbs up that had Niel erupting into a wide grin.

 

He'd get him back at the same time he attacked Ricky. If it weren't for them, he could've been going out with Chunji for weeks now, after all. But all thoughts of revenge fled his mind as he stepped out onto the stage, Chunji at his side though they had long since let go of one another, blinded by lights so bright they couldn't see any faces.

 

Finally, for the first time, it seemed as though everything was perfect in L. Joe's life. And now that he had Chunji for himself, he was certain they'd only get better from here on out.

 

The End