Chapter 17

In It to Win It

A:N/ Sorry I'm updating so late... This weekend is just really painful.... I've got to write an essay...and I just finished my research, so yeah it's clearly not going well... Don't worry I'll make it through, hwaiting, and hopefully so will you with your daily updates intact...

- -

“Look, I want to know what you're up to. Why did you ask Chunji out?” L. Joe demanded, cornering the other boy at the far end of the Music room. His gaze kept shifting behind him, back to where he'd left Chunji. He was worried that Chunji would freak out if he realised that L. Joe was not so subtly attempting to dominate his beloved CAP.

 

He needn't have worried. After the embarrassment he sustained the day before, Chunji refused to so much as raise his head, in fear of catching sight of CAP, and crying. Even if Chunji knew he was talking with CAP right now, he didn't want to look at them. The knowledge that he was currently in Chunji's blind spot, kind of irked him.

 

Was he the only one that felt the weight of Chunji's ignorance pressing in upon him, making him feel frantic? How could CAP look so calm about this whole thing?

 

“I didn't ask him out. Is that how he interpreted it?” CAP asked, a hard glare being tossed in Chunji's direction, over L. Joe's shoulder. L. Joe jerked his gaze back to CAP's face, shoving his shoulder roughly.

 

“What's your problem? Don't look at him like that! Chunji didn't do anything wrong.” L. Joe ordered. “He said that we were going out for a date. That's something.” CAP stated, unimpressed.

 

L. Joe rolled his eyes, “No Chunji said that you asked him to come do something after school yesterday, just the two of you. But where I'm from at least, that's what we like to call being asked out.”

 

“It was just a study thing. I needed some more help with my essay, that's all.” CAP stated with a shrug, but L. Joe's look didn't improve. He sighed, crossing his arms, looking a little annoyed, “You're so worked up over this. What did he tell you? Because I already apologised for texting Minyoung while we were in the library, I don't see what more I could be expected to do.”

 

“You were texting your girlfriend, while you were getting Chunji to help you with your essay, how can you use someone so easily?” he questioned, looking at CAP incredulous.

 

CAP's face didn't change, “Someone like him is going to find out sooner or later that there are a lot of people out there who aren't going to treat him nicely. If I'm mean to him now, while he's still in high school, he'll learn to toughen up, and be a little more cautious with others in future. So really, I'm doing him a favour.”

 

“Someone like him? What a nerd? Someone you don't like? What about him, hmm?” L. Joe pressed, irately.

 

“Someone too blind to read the writing on the wall. Minyoung is my girlfriend, and everybody knows it. I don't have to feel sympathy for someone that ignores common knowledge.” CAP stated.

 

L. Joe's fingers trembled as he grabbed CAP's collar roughly, yanking him forward, in his anger. He wanted to shake the older boy until he knocked that condescending tone from his voice. He wanted all his disrespect for Chunji to fall out of him, in a puddle on the floor.

 

For the first time since their conversation started, CAP's eyes looked a little sad. “I wish you wouldn't get so worked up about Chanhee. I've seen the way he treats you: the way he acts around others. He doesn't deserve your affections. You care for him far too much.” he explained, but L. Joe only scoffed in response.

 

But then he really started to think about it. Chunji told him that he knew what sort of person CAP was, and yet he continued to like him. He'd heard Niel mention how things like this had happened before. Chunji would probably start liking CAP again within a few weeks, once the sting of humiliation and the ache in his heart had healed, and then he'd be right back where he was before. Which meant he would be relying on L. Joe's friendship with CAP. As much as he disliked CAP, he couldn't really afford to throw the other man away just yet.

 

He relaxed his fingers, loosely clutching at the other boy's collar, a wobbly smile worming its way onto his lips. He ignored the feeling of disgust with himself that was welling within him, and instead turned, hand running up into his hair in frustration. “I'm sorry CAP, I don't know what came over me.... Chunji was just so disappointed yesterday, I couldn't help but feel angry. He thought you wanted help with your essay and then you just started ignoring him in favour of your girlfriend, when he was only there trying to help and I just....”

 

“It's okay, I understand. You're one of those guys that looks out for his friends, I get it. It's one of the reasons I like you so damn much.” CAP consoled. “Oh?” L. Joe questioned, intrigued, quite forgetting his earlier disgust for his spluttered apology. “Yeah. Because you're so loyal, I know that you've got my back. So I know if anyone starts taking trash about me, or plans to get at me somehow, you'll look out for me, just like you do for Chanhee. I just wish you'd be a little more choosy in who you give your friendships to that's all.” CAP explained.

 

“Too late for that, I'm afraid.” L. Joe responded easily, his gaze drifting back over to Chunji, fondly taking him in. Chunji tried to act so strong, but L. Joe knew that he was just putting on a brave face, in the hopes that no one would realise how heartbroken he was over the whole thing. The last thing he needed was public ridicule to add to his humiliation. The sight of the other boy's slightly hunched back, drew a fond smile to his lips, even though L. Joe was unaware of it.

 

“I know it is. I just keep hoping you'll reconsider.” CAP stated with a sigh.

 

“No chance. I like him just fine.” L. Joe explained. “I know you do. Why that's the case, I'll never know though. You deserve to have friends that treat you like a real friend. Chanhee treats you like crap.” CAP stated bluntly.

 

“He does not.” L. Joe countered. “Chunji treats me fine. I'm a big boy, I can handle him and his tantrums.”

 

“But why would you want to?” CAP pushed, eyeing Chunji from head to toe, trying to work out what it was about the other boy that drew such warm stares from his friend.

 

“I told you, because he's interesting. He keeps things fun.” L. Joe informed him, sheepishly excusing himself under the guise of “straightening the whole thing out with Chunji.” Both because he didn't want to leave the other boy alone, and because he didn't want to spend anymore time with CAP than was absolutely necessary.

 

He didn't know how much longer he could keep giving that little excuse: it was starting to sound hollow to his own ears as well. But figuring out the real reason lurking behind his feelings toward Chunji probably wouldn't do him any good right now.

 

- -

 

“Hey, how are you holding up?” L. Joe questioned, trying to sound empathetic as he joined Chunji, pretending that he hadn't been speaking with the other boy's crush for the last ten minutes. “I'm fine.” Chunji stated, but his tone was so flat, and his gaze never wavered from his book, telling L. Joe that the other boy was definitely lying to him.

 

He sighed, noting that Chunji couldn't even manage to muster the energy to cling to his precious little notebook like he usually did. He could probably reach over and grab it, and Chunji wouldn't even bother to resist him. It annoyed him to know that their encounter the other day, meant so much to Chunji, when his conversation with CAP told him, that It didn't mean anywhere near as much to the other boy.

 

It wasn't fair.

 

Chunji shouldn't have allowed himself to get so down about the whole thing. CAP didn't deserve so much of Chunji's feelings, or his thoughts. “ Hey, you've got to get over this. You shouldn't let CAP get you so down. He's really not worth it.” he stated, hoping that his tone came across as consoling.

 

“I know.” Chunji agreed, but still his words belied his attitude.

 

“He's not as great as you seem to think he is. Such a great person, wouldn't have ignored you so he could text his girlfriend, when you guys were supposed to be on a date. Anyone who'd do a thing like that is a jerk. You've got to ignore him Chunji; forget all about him.” L. Joe advised, noting the way Chunji stilled slightly, clearly embarrassed to know that L. Joe had found out about that last little shame he'd been trying to keep secret. It only made him feel more ashamed of himself to recall it.

 

“I will.” Chunji assured him, but L. Joe could hear no trace of Chunji's usual determination. It didn't inspire any confidence in L. Joe. Something told him that Chunji had no intention of giving up on his feelings, even after all that he'd been put through the day before.

 

He was starting to wonder if Chunji's tenacity was a result of his determination, or his stupidity.