Chapter 12

In It to Win It

 

The following day, L. Joe made sure to arrange things such that he was sitting next to CAP in their Music theory class. Whenever they were in this class, the teacher just got them to copy out notes from their textbooks, but talking was allowed. Hence, under normal circumstances L. Joe would have preferred to be sitting with Chunji.

 

But the events of their English class the previous afternoon were still at the forefront of his mind. Hence, the second they entered the classroom, he had walked over to join CAP. To be able to pull off the move, he hadn't been able to so much as look in Chunji's direction. If he'd looked at the other boy there was no chance that he would've been able to ignore him, and sit with CAP instead.

 

At first they began in silence, L. Joe knowing that he needed the cover of other student's quiet chatter before he'd be able to ask CAP his questions, privately. The last thing he wanted was for Chunji to overhear what they were saying; he had a feeling that he wouldn't want Chunji to know what CAP's motivations had been when he spoke to him the previous day.

 

His mind wandered as he wrote, struggling to maintain his patience, as he waited for the other students to begin talking amongst themselves. Unfortunately patience was not one of L. Joe's strong suits, when he had something he wanted to know. Even more so when it had stopped him from getting a good night's sleep the previous evening. Without even realising it, his grip on his pen had tightened, to the point where he might manage to break it in two if he wasn't careful.

 

He relaxed his grip, the moment he noticed it, that having been the first indication he had that he had been spacing out. He'd managed to lose ten minutes doing that, and looked up just in time to catch CAP looking back down to his page with a smirk. Clearly he'd been caught acting strangely, but L. Joe didn't have to struggle to convince himself that he didn't care what CAP thought of him.

 

But when he looked across the room, unconsciously, just in time to catch Chunji smothering a grin at his expense, he felt his face grow warm. He supposed it served him right for looking at Chunji; he was supposed to be ignoring him until he found out what CAP had to say about the incident the day before.

 

Luckily in that time, the classroom conversations had picked up, telling L. Joe that he'd finally be able to ask CAP the question that was burning on the tip of his tongue. But before the words could slip out, he still found his eyes trailing back across the room to make sure Chunji wasn't paying them too much attention.

 

Chunji's eyes were firmly fixed on the table in front of him, his work clearly taking up his whole focus. L. Joe couldn't decide if he was relived or disappointed to know that Chunji had looked away, despite the fact that he'd been wishing the boy would do just that only a few minutes earlier.

 

“So why'd you want to talk to Chunji in English yesterday?” L. Joe questioned, tone hushed and hurried as he raced to get the question out before he could regret asking. CAP's eyes trailed over him, amused for a moment before he answered, “Who?” he enquired innocently. L. Joe just narrowed his eyes at the other boy's pedantic demand for him to call Chunji by his other name. It wasn't his fault that it was just natural to call him Chunji now. CAP and L. Joe both knew they were talking about the same person, regardless of what name he'd said, so why should that matter?

 

“I don't suppose you're referring to Chanhee by any chance, are you?” CAP teased, but L. Joe didn't answer him. His blank stare served its purpose, dragging an amused sigh from CAP's lips, “Worried I'm going to take him for myself?” he prodded. L. Joe rolled his eyes, shaking his head, “Of course not.” he stated, knowing that he could honestly say that he was being completely truthful.

 

Chunji very clearly already belonged to CAP, even if the other boy wanted nothing to do with him. It had been like that for at least a year already. Long before he'd ever met Chunji or CAP. At best, L. Joe knew he was hoping to steal Chunji away from CAP, not the other way around. He couldn't decide whether CAP's comment was an odd way of saying that he was aware of the other boy's interest in Chunji, or genuinely said out of ignorance.

 

“Then I fail to see how it's any of your business why I was talking to him.” CAP stated, gaze drifting away from L. Joe as though he were trying to ignore him or dismiss him. L. Joe recognised his tone well enough to know that CAP was still playing with him, though so he ignored it. “I never claimed it was.” he agreed.

 

“Then why do you seem so interested?” CAP asked, tilting his head back so that he could meet L. Joe's gaze head on. “Because it was out of character.” he answered, easily. CAP looked like he was about to deny it, but he twitched awkwardly before he could get any of the words out. “Yeah I suppose it was, wasn't it?”

 

“If you couldn't even deny it, then I'd say yes.” L. Joe agreed, scribbling in his book distractedly. He didn't want CAP to think he was really as interested in the matter as he was. It would only make it more likely that CAP wouldn't explain himself.

 

“No need to worry L. Joe, I was only asking him about the new English assignment. He's still all yours.” CAP commented with a chuckle. L. Joe kid of wished that he wasn't as happy to hear CAP's words, as he really was. CAP didn't have any control over who Chunji liked, and according to Chunji, he was barely in the tolerable category. “I wasn't worried.” L. Joe stated plainly, still scribbling on his page distractedly.

 

“Why would you ask him about the assignment? I mean we only got it yesterday, it's not like Chunji already knows everything about it.” L. Joe commented, wincing slightly at the lie. Of course Chunji already knew all about it: he'd prepared for it. He'd anticipated it, and according to his reaction the day before, he'd gotten exactly what he wanted.

 

“Maybe so, but I know enough to know that he's smart, how else would he get such a good mark on the first task? If he's going to have brains like that, might as well get him to put them to good use and help me, don't you think?” CAP commented easily. L. Joe wanted to turn round and disagree; to yell at him, that he didn't think it was right at all; that he should be ashamed of himself for using Chunji's brains like that: taking advantage of his feelings for him, in order to improve his own grades, with no gratitude to spare.

 

Still he gave a non-committal grunt, not wanting the other boy to think he was disagreeing with him, lest CAP stop talking to him. Though he had a feeling that probably wouldn't happen. Partly because CAP seemed to like him so much, and partly because he would kind of like it if it were to happen. The more they spoke, the more L. Joe decided he disliked CAP. He hated the way he talked about Chunji and now he hated the way he treated him as well.

 

“Personally, I have to say that I can't see it.” CAP stated with a disappointed sigh. “It?” L. Joe questioned, not understanding what CAP had meant by the statement, knowing that he'd never really said much to the other boy, but unable to place what comment the other boy was referring to.

 

“The appeal. You said people like Chanhee make life more fun. I think he somehow managed to make English class the most boring one of the day. He doesn't talk much and when he does he's so soft you can barely understand him. Then he goes ignoring eye contact completely, and he keeps putting his hands to his cheeks like a girl or something.” CAP stated. L. Joe was confused by all the behaviours, half convinced that he was talking about the wrong person until he realised who was speaking.

 

Of course Chunji acted shy around CAP: he liked him. He was probably mortified: convinced that he was going to stuff up and make the other man hate him more than he already did. That must be what nervous Chunji looks like: constantly trying to be on his best behaviour. Striving to be perfect so as to leave a good impression. It was so unlike the Chunji he knew, full of oomph and vitality. But at the same time, he couldn't bring himself to think poorly of this other side to Chunji either.

 

He just liked Chunji.

 

“I thought you were complaining about how loud and rude and overbearing he is all the time.” L. Joe pointed out. CAP shuddered slightly at the comment, “That's still annoying, but that other side of him is just as annoying.” CAP huffed. “I have this theory that he was hoping if he behaved himself with me, I'd forget all about the kind of person he is normally. The fact that he tries to cover it up only makes me more convinced that I've had him pegged correctly this whole time.” he confided, conspiratorially.

 

L. Joe frowned to himself considering CAP's words. It really didn't seem to matter what he said at this point. CAP really couldn't see any of Chunji's charms; even when he was trying to. His opinion about the other boy was left unchanged by his words, trying to talk the other boy up. Now, to top it all off, he found out the only reason he was treating Chunji kindly was to take advantage of his brains to improve his own marks.

 

At what point should he just turn around and tell Chunji to just let go?

 

But he knew he couldn't do that either. Even if he did know that CAP didn't like Chunji, he didn't have the heart to tell Chunji that. But maybe it would be in the other boy's best interests for him to give him the bad news as soon as possible?

 

Yes, that's what he'd have to do. He'd have to tell Chunji as soon as possible.