14.

Electric Shock

Jia looked down at her two subordinates, Fei and Victoria as she walked down the staircase. “I suppose you delivered the letter?” she said, and Fei nodded. “None of them had a clue what was going on. Well, except from Amber” the tall girl answered, and Jia nodded approvingly. “Sunbae, are you sure she’ll show up?” Victoria asked, and Jia nodded. “She’ll come. But not alone. Those KIC-freaks will be here too. Henry will, at least” she answered, and Fei tilted her head to the right. “Should we do anything? Forbid them to enter, sneak attack?” she asked, and Jia laughed.

“Feifei, have I ever told you how much I love your plans of backstabbing?” she said, and sat down on the mahogony desk with her legs crossed. “But no Fei, they’re going to be let in. If anything gets out of hand, neither Amber or KIC are on home grounds here. We’ll have them cornered within 5 minutes. Besides, if Amber steps an inch out of line, I’ve got a little something something up my sleeve.”

~

“How in the HELL did you make me agree to this?” Amber asked as she, neatly followed by Henry, stepped in to the Bonanza Club in the richer part of Seoul. Henry just smiled and took her hand. “I would say, but we’re in a public place, and I DO have some manners” he teased, and Amber rolled her eyes. “Jerk” she whispered, making Henry kiss her cheek. “I love you too”.

Amber had, after about another twenty minutes of kissing, accepted to go to Lee So Mans birthday. When Henry had asked what her issue with him was, she just shrugged and told him that it was an old acquaintance. Which was partly true. Lee So Man was Jias boss, so to speak, and therefore Ambers over-boss. He ruled the underworld, importing drugs and killing people of lust, so being in his hands was huge. Amber wasn’t particular high ranked in Lee So Mans organization, but he respected her in some ways, and agreed with her in other. His three head-departments were led by Jia, Victoria and Feifei (Fei for short), even though Jia was as high as could be.

Speaking of Jia, the pink devil, Victoria and Fei had spotted her enter and was now approaching her. “Amber hyung, nice to see you again!” Jia said, hugging her and handling her and Henry a glass of champagne. Victoria and Fei hugged her afterwards, playing the role of old friends good enough for an Oscar. Fei glanced at Henry who’d wrapped his arm around Amber, and smiled.

“Pardon my bad memory, who are you?” she asked, her almond eyes looking straight at him. Henry smiled shortly, and shook her hand. “Henry. A good friend of Amber” he presented, and Fei smiled. “Ambie, you got a boo? That’s so sweet!” she chirped, and Amber smiled fake.  “Fei, he’s not my boyfriend” she said, and Victoria laughed. “Whatever you say Amber. Now excuse us, our attention is needed otherwhere.

As soon as they were out of sight, Henry looked down at Amber. “They don’t look nearly as bad as you told me they were” he said, and Amber snorted. “They’re good actors” she mumbled, checking if any of them were keeping an eye on her or Henry. Luckily, they were being good hostesses, mingling with one oil-baron after the other, smiling and laughing. When Fei turned around and motioned for Amber to follow her, she released Henry. “I’ll be back in a minute, nature calls” she said, and walked casually after Fei into the ladies room where Victoria and Jia were waiting. Fei locked the front door, and leaned against it.

“Long time no see” she said lazily, and Amber smiled.

“Being in jail because of your so-called friends are backstabbing es takes time Fei” Amber answered poisonous, crossing her arms. Fei laughed at the younger female, and put her hands on her hips. “Like you wouldn’t do it yourself, Saint Josephine” Fei hissed, towering above Amber with her being half a head higher than Amber. Amber just stared at her with as much attitude she possessed when Jia cut in.

“Enough of you two, you’re not kids anymore” she said, and Fei went back to her position against the door. Jia clicked her tongue and shook her head, making Amber turn towards her boss. “What?” she asked and Jia smiled.

“Do you think So Man is stupid enough to not notice that there’s a cop among his guests?” Jia asked, and Amber looked at her feet. When she didn’t respond, Jia continued. “It’s really adorable how much you care for him, seeing as I remember you saying they’re worthless bastards only a year ago” she said sweetly, circling her subordinate while Victoria and Fei looked at their leader and Amber on turns. “Is my little llama in love? With a policeman? Is that it sunshine?” Amber still didn’t respond, but she felt her cheeks burn, and she clenched her fists.

“What if we tell Henry everything?” Victoria said from the opposite wall, knowing she had hit a weak spot. Ambers hand flew up and missed Victorias face by an inch. “NO!” she yelled, lowering her hand. Victoria only smiled at her, patting her on the cheek. “And why is that? Like you care, as soon as you get going they won’t be able to find you ever again, will they?” Amber didn’t answer; she just looked at her hand as if it was, by magic, to give her some sort of sign.

Finally, after some time in silence, she spoke up. “I don’t care about what you say, or what Lee So Man decides. Henry stays OUT of all this” she proclaimed. Victoria raised an eyebrow at her. “I don’t believe you’re in the position to give orders, Amber” she spoke quietly, and it sent chills down Ambers spine when Fei spoke up afterwards. “There’s a gun pointed at your back every hour. I don’t know why you’re doubting the importance of your job. It’s a killing-job, you’re good at it, aren’t you?” she said, and Amber swallowed hard.

“I’m not killing the persons who actually care about me” she hissed through gritted teeth, and Fei laughed. “Care? Please, as soon as they’re done with the investigation you’re going back to prison for the rest of your sad life. You’ll never see Henry again because to him, you’re work. A step closer to a promotion. That’s it. Basically, you’re a thing.” Amber squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her fists into balls as Fei laughed at her. Mocked her. “Shut up” she whispered, but Fei kept going with how little she was worth. “Shut up!” Amber screamed, turning to face Jia with angry tears flowing down her cheeks.

“Promise me Henry’ll get out of this alive” she said, and Jia smiled friendly. “You love him” she stated, and Amber bit her lip. “Please Jia, I beg!” Amber continued. Jia showed no sign of compassion, and Amber kept on crying. Jia then jumped of the counter, motioning for Fei and Victoria to follow her.

“We’ll see about that” she said calmly and left the bathroom, leaving Amber standing in front of the mirrors not knowing where to put herself. “God damn it!” she cried, slamming her fist into one of the mirrors, watching it crack and send glass out over the sinks. She winced as a few of the splints hit her hand that was already bleeding steadily for the punch. She grabbed some gaze from the first-aid kit on the wall, and walked out to Henry again. He was leaning on the wall opposite the door to the ladies room, looking worried.

“You okay? Jia and the others exited but I couldn’t find you” he said, and Amber nodded. “I’m sorry, it’s fine” she replied, and hugged him even though it hurt her hand. With the feeling of Henrys arms round her, her heart beated normal again and she felt safe. And even though it scared her that Jia knew, she really truly loved him.

But this thing was getting way out of her hands, and she wasn’t sure she could hold up the act much longer.

 

A/N: This took me hours to write, only because of the bathroom-scene. Don't kill me!