Memories

One Last Chance

 

The next day,Shin Hye was having a hard time from getting up on her bed.She didn't have a descent sleep because of thinking about the picture of her and Yong Hwa in his wallet.
"Why are you still thinking about that picture,Shin Hye? Snap out of it!" she told herself.
She lazily got up from bed and went near her drawer.The picture of the two of them is still there.She never threw it away,nor moved it.She just let it stay as it is.Just like it is a few years ago.Everytime she looks at the picture,she can't help but remember how they met for the first time and how they got close to each other.
 
Flashback:
They were in 2nd year highschool when they first met.Shin Hye was sitting under the tree while studying when her stomach suddenly grumbled.When she looked up the tree,she saw there were lots of fruits hanging on it.When she was half-way up the tree,her feet stepped on the wrong branch and lost her balance.Good thing there was someone who caught her.A boy,about her age,was already holding on to her she fell off to the ground.When the boy let go of her,he spoke,
"Hey.Be careful on climbing that tree.I broke my leg 4 years ago when I lost my balance while climbing up that freaking tree." the boy said and smiled.
"Thank you," Shin Hye replied. "Are you a new student here?"
"Nope," the boy started. "I started here since I'm in third grade."
"Oh.How come I don't see you around here?"
"I don't know.Maybe your just blind."
"Yeah,maybe.By the way,what's your name?"
"Now you asked about it.The name's Jung Yong Hwa.Call me Yong if you want."
"Hey.Nice to meet you.I'm Park Shin Hye."
"I see you're hungry.Why don't we just go to the canteen? I was about to go there when I saw you're about to fall."
"Alright." Shin Hye smiled.
*******
"Shin Hye-yah!" Uee called. "I heard you became friends with Yong Hwa."
"Oh.Well,he was the one who saved me when I was about to fall off that tree."
"How sweet."
"Don't put any meaning to that.He just saved me,that's all."
"Whatever you say.." Uee smiled giddily at her friend. "C'mon.Let's go home,its getting late."
*******
As they were walking home,they saw a group of boys huddled,as if they were beating someone.There was actually a figth scene happening.The 6 boys were being beaten up by a boy.
It was night,so they can't see the main scene clearly.So they hid behind a large tree not too far from the scene.After a few moments the boys scampered away.Leaving the boy alone.
"Cowards! Acting tough but will just run away!" the boy shouted.Then he started coughing really hard.
The two girls went out from their hiding place and went near to the boy.
"Hey,you alright?" Shin Hye asked.
"Yeah.Just a little injury," he replied.
When the boy looked up,Shin Hye couldn't believe who it was.
"Yong!" 
"Oh,its you." Yong Hwa coughed again. "What are you doing here so late?"
"I was about to ask you the same question."
"Those boys," Yong Hwa panted. "Well they were just part of a fraternity in school.I was their target,I think."
"You don't look well.C'mon,let's go to my house."
"No,thanks.Really,I'm fine.Just go home and be careful.Those guys might do something to you two."
Yong Hwa tried to walk away,but he collapsed because of the pain on his side.Shin Hye and Uee quickly ran to him.
"See? I told you.You're not alright.C'mon,let's go tend you're wounds." Shin Hye carried Yong Hwa on her shoulders.
While the two were walking,Uee was behind them.Giggling like a little girl.She can't help but feel giddy while watching the two of them.But she controlled herself and continued walking with them.
*******
Shin Hye let Yong Hwa lie down on her sofa as soon as they arrived in their house.She quickly went to her room upstairs to get her first aid kit.While she was upstairs,Uee
talked to Yong Hwa.
"I heard you saved Shin Hye from falling off a tree."
"Yeah."
"So you're her hero,huh? Well as I can see,you look perfect for each other."
"Huh?"
"Oh.Just forget what I said." Uee smiled. 
Shin Hye suddenly appeared on the living room,holding a first aid kit.Uee stood up and spoke,
"Hey,I'll get going.Mom will surely freak out if I'll go home late again," Uee lied. "Bye!"
Uee disappeared in a flash,leaving the two alone.Shin Hye turned to Yong Hwa and started nursing his wounds and bruises.
"Your friend,she's a little bit naughty."
"REALLY naughty." Shin Hye said,emphasizing the word really.
"She said a while ago that we--AW!" Yong Hwa was cut off when Shin Hye pressed a cold compress on one of his bruises a little hard.
"Ooops! Sorry."
"Easy! I'll do it." Yong Hwa got the cold compress from Shin Hye's hand and placed it on his bruises. "Won't your parents be mad at you? I mean,you let a stranger 
in you house."
"Oh c'mon.They're not here,away from a business trip.And you're not a stranger to me so don't worry."
"You just met me this morning.And you don't even know if I'm a good person or not."
"I still don't know who and what you are.But I know that you saved my life."
Yong Hwa was a little bit taken back by her words. "Thanks for helping me." 
"Let's just call it quits.You're my friend right?"
"Yeah..." Yong Hwa held his side and sighed heavily.
"What's wrong?"
"Just aching a bit.I was hit by a steel bar earlier."
"You okay now?"
"Yeah." Yong Hwa smiled. "I'll get going now.You're neighbors might suspect something.Thanks again."
"You sure you can walk now?"
"Yup.I'll get going.Bye."
"Be careful."
*******
The next day,Hong Ki ran to Shin Hye who was eating at the canteen.
"Hey Shin Hye-yah." Hong Ki greeted with a smile.
"Hi there,Hong Ki.What brings you here?"
"Uee told me you've been friends with Yong Hwa-hyung."
"Oh,yeah."
Hong Ki giggled giddily.
"What's with that giggle?"
"Nothing," Hong Ki denied. "You two look perfect for each other." Hong Ki mumbled under his breath.
"What?"
"Nothing! I'll get going.I guess Min Hyuk's already searching for me.Good luck with your relationship!" Hong Ki ran away.
"This guy's really crazy." Shin Hye shook her head.
After eating at the canteen,she went to locker to get something.As she was busy fixing her things in the locker,Yong Hwa appeared beside her.
"Good morning." Yong Hwa greeted.
"Hi.What are you doing here?"
"You kidding me? My locker's right here."
"I never thought that you're locker's next to mine.I don't see you using your locker."
"I don't usually use this.So I just leave it as it is."
Shin Hye took a glance on her watch. "Oh.I'm gonna be late on my next class.See you later,bye!" 
Yong Hwa just stood there,smiling at himself.He didn't even realized that Hong Ki was already beside him.
"Look who's inlove."
Yong Hwa regained himself. "I'm not."
"Don't deny it,hyung.It shows." Hong Ki teased.
"Just shut up there if you don't know anything good to say."
"Easy there.I'm just joking.No really,do you like her?"
"Do I really need to answer that? Can't you see?"
"You need to...Oh,you do like her?"
"Can't you see? You're so slow.I'll get going." Yong Hwa walked away from Hong Ki.
*******
Their second year in highschool quickly went by.Shin Hye and Yong Hwa became best friends by that time.And day by day,they slowly fall inlove with each other.Third year in highschool,Yong Hwa decided to join the group
of Shin Hye's friends just to get closer to her.By that time,Yong Hwa also became one of the campus heartthrob in their school,so many girls are around him everyday 
that makes Shin Hye a little bit jealous.Later at their school days,third and the fourth year students are going to have a school prom.The principal announced that they are free
to choose they're dates for the prom.Yong Hwa took his chance to ask Shin Hye.He went to her at the school canteen a night before their prom.
"Oh,Yong.What are you doing here?" 
"I was just going to ask something."
"What is it?"
"Did someone already asked you out at the prom?"
"Yeah.But I still didn't approved their invitation.Why did you ask?"
"Well,I..um..I was just going to ask for your approval,if its alright with you?"
"Um.."
"Its alright if you don't answer.I'll just find another girl."
"Hey,I'm not yet finish talking.Alright,I'll be your date."
"Really?"
"You don't like? Alright."
"Hey!"
"I'm just kidding.Don't be late at the party,alright? I'll get going.See you tomorrow." Shin Hye smiled and went her way.
"Sure,I won't be late cause you're my date." Yong Hwa said to no one.
*******
At the prom night,Yong Hwa was early to arrive at their school gym,where the prom was going to be held.He was still searching around for Shin Hye when the girls
flocked around him again,asking if he wants to be their date.The girls were still around him when Shin Hye suddenly arrived.
"Sorry,girls.But I already have a date.She's already here.Now,if you'll excuse me." Yong Hwa formally told the girls.
He went to Shin Hye who was searching for him.
"Hi,Ms.Beautiful." Yong Hwa greeted.
"You're early,huh.First time." Shin Hye teased.
"Whatever." Yong Hwa pouted.
"I'm just kidding Yong.You're taking it seriously.Let's just go there with Hong Ki and Uee." Shin Hye told Yong Hwa.
The party went on smoothly and lasted until midnight.
*******
Two days after their prom,Yong Hwa went early to the school.Just as he arrived,the girls flocked around him again.He was trying to get away from them when Shin Hye
arrived.When she saw he was being surrounded by girls,she glared at him and walked away.
"Shin Hye-yah!" Yong Hwa shouted. "Wait!" 
He got away from the girls and ran after Shin Hye.
"Hey."
"Oh hey,Mr.Campus Heartthrob." Shin Hye greeted,a little bit angry.
"Are you angry?"
"Haven't I told you to get away from those girls? Its freaking me out!"
"They're just..wait.Are you jealous?"
"Yes! I mean no.No,I'm not.Its just....Just don't show your face to me!" Shin Hye walked away from him.
*******
Shin Hye went straight to the park after talking with Yong Hwa.She sat on the bench at the center of the park to calm herself down.
"Calm down,Shin Hye.You don't have to be jealous.Besides,you're not his girlfriend right?" Shin Hye told herself.
She was about to leave when she heard a voice singing somewhere near her.When she turned to see who it is,she saw Yong Hwa walking towards her while holding a
guitar on his hand.He stopped at the center and started singing.
 
Right Here,With You by David Cook
Everyone was watching you
As everything just slipped away
And all they ever wanted was the light you gave them
 
You've always been the sweetest song
And even when the world went wrong
You never let the sun go down and fall to pieces
And I can never walk away with you here
 
If the sun stops burning
And the world stops turning
I'll be right here with you
And if the sky keeps falling
And the night keeps calling
I'll be right here with you
I'm on your side
 
I can see the way you hide
All the things you keep inside
But all you ever wanted was the light to save you
We could run away somehow
Take the night and tear it down
Never let the stars burn out and fall to pieces
Nothing's going to stop us now
Cause we were born to live forever
 
If the sun stops burning
And the world stops turning
I'll be right here with you
And if the sky keeps falling
And the night keeps calling
I'll be right here with you
I'm on your side
 
And times will always change
The wings will always break
And I will be here waiting over time
Forever by your side
Our love will never die
 
And if the sun stops burning
And the world stops turning
I'll be right here with you
And if the sky keeps falling
And the night keeps calling
I'll be right here with you
And I'll be right here with you
I'm on your side
I'm on your side
 
After the song,Yong Hwa spoke,
"I'm sorry about earlier,Shin Hye-yah," he started. "I never thought you will react like that,seeing me surrounded by girls.I know you're jealous.But don't worry.I don't look at them the way I look at you.You just can't see it.But I love you.You're the first girl who made me feel this way." he went nearer to her. "So,will you be mine?" 
Shin Hye was surprised with his words.She dosen't know what to say.He's looking at her with his hopeful eyes.But she can't deny that she's also inlove with him,so she hugged him tightly.
"So,does this mean a yes?" Yong Hwa asked.
"Yes." Shin Hye replied,still hugging him. 
"Yes!" Yong Hwa threw his fist in the air.
He released his hug. "I love you."
Shin Hye smiled. "I love you too."
Yong Hwa kissed her forhead and hugged her again.And that day was the best day of their life.
 
End of Flashback