Meet The Family

One More Life

We’re standing at their front door, having rung the bell and now just waiting for his parents to buzz us in. I couldn’t see much from the front, but their house was a beautiful piece of brick work. Not too big, not too small with a garden stretching out in front. Ji Yong gifted it to them a few years back so that his dad could now go into early retirement and spend the rest of his days raising dogs and playing golf. Ji Yong rung the bell a second time after there was no response. I could feel it, there was still tension in the air that neither of us were in the mood to clear out. It’s bad timing that this had to happen now when I was already stressed out about meeting his family. My nerves were getting to me and I clamped my hands into a fist to stop them from shaking.

“Ah, Ji Yong-ie?” a voice from the intercom suddenly asked. The tone was a little flat and nasally, typical of middle-aged Korean women, but it was one filled with kindness and warmth. This was Ji Yong’s mother.

“Omma*, let us in,” Ji Yong said and the front gate opened soon after. Before we even took a single step forward, Ji Yong grabbed my still clamped fist and intertwined his fingers through them, so that we were holding hands like we always did. I looked up at him, feeling a little apologetic and just tired from all the silent tension. He smiled a little in return. We may still be in a disagreement, but in the end he was still going to be my rock and my support when I needed him most. That much I couldn’t deny.

“I didn’t get anything for your sister!” I realized in a panic as we crossed the lawn. I stopped dead in my tracks and I think my eyes widened more than they should have. Ji Yong continued pulling me along, while shaking his head.

“Ri Ah, at this rate you’re going to end up buying them a car.”

“Why, do they need one?” I seriously asked.

“No!” He said, laughing. “And if they did I would be the one to get it.” His mother and sister were standing right on the edge of the foyer as we entered the house. Both had aprons on and a dangerously inviting smell was wafting in the air, clearly from the kitchen situated at the back. I don’t know why, but when I saw them I automatically did a folder bow as if I was made out of paper. I get doing small ones for greetings, but as I looked at my feet and greeted his family for the first time I just knew I had to do it, purely out of respect but more importantly gratefulness. These were the women in Ji Yong’s life that raised him to be the man that I have learnt to love and I would be forever thankful for that.

“It’s so nice to finally meet you mother**, unni. I’m so sorry it’s taken me so long to come and visit you like this, my name is Erika Lee,” I said.

“Oh Erika, there’s no need to be so formal. Come in, come in! Make yourself at home! I’m Ji Yong’s sister Dami,” a young woman chirped, grabbing onto my arm and dragging me excitedly into the house. She had shoulder-length, straight black hair which graciously bordered her face, making her seem much younger than she was. “I can’t believe I finally get to meet you! I saw you from Young Bae’s music video but clearly that doesn’t do you justice at all. You’re so much prettier in person!”

“Ah. Thankyou…” I replied. I nervously peeked at Ji Yong’s face to see his reaction. Clearly that video was still a sore spot for him, but he was just happily looking at us, his arm wrapped lovingly around his mom. “Are you still cooking? Let me help you.”

The kitchen was just a huge explosion of colour. Vegetables, meats and spices were laid out on the kitchen counter, hardly leaving room for the granite on the bench top to come through.

“All the side dishes are done, we’re starting on the fish stew and the pork ribs now,” Dami unni explained.

“I’ll get started on the fish gutting then,” I decided, rolling up the sleeves of my chiffon dress. Ji Yong’s mother chuckled beside me and handed me an apron. They had the same laugh I realized.

“My future daughter-in-law likes to get to the good stuff first I see,” she joked. “Better take that ring off too or you’re going to ruin it.” She pointed to the engagement ring on my finger. I unconsciously covered it and looked at her in surprise.

“You’re getting married!?” Dami unni shrieked. “Before me!? Ya, Ji Yong-ah get in here!”

“Oh my gosh, this is so embarrassing. Mother, I am so sorry. We went ahead and did whatever we wanted like fools. I should’ve asked you first. I- I.” I was stuttering over my words like an idiot. This was not good, this was not good at all. Ji Yong entered the kitchen after hearing the commotion, and when he saw his mom inspecting the ring on my finger, he sheepishly started to scratch his head in response.

“Sorry mom, we were going to tell you over lunch,” he explained.

“Come here dear,” Ji Yong’s mum said as she wrapped her arms around me in a hug. “You’ve done so much for him and all of us as a family. I would be disappointed if it was anyone but you.” Her kind words, her warm tone, the feeling of a warm hug and maternal love suddenly drew out a rush of emotions within me and the tears just started falling even before I realized it. It wasn’t just because she had welcomed me, someone she doesn’t even know, into her family, but Ji Yong’s mom suddenly reminded me of mine. I missed her.

“Ya, why are you crying?” Ji Yong asked. As soon as his mum let me go, he pulled me to his side and wiped the tears away with his hand. “You’re absolutely adorable.”

“I don’t know what’s wrong me today…” I said. “I’m a huge emotional wreck.”

“I did much worse than you when I met my parents-in-law for the first time. I couldn’t even say a word because I was frightened out of my mind. You have nothing to worry about Erika, this is your family now,” Ji Yong’s mom said. She reached out and squeezed my hand reassuringly.

“Exactly. Now let me see the ring!” Dami unni said and I lifted my hand up for her to see. “It’s huge and strange… but I wouldn’t have expected any less from my little brother.”

“I think he was still playing it safe with this one,” I commented. Ji Yong’s dad was going to be home from a morning golf match soon, so we three girls bustled around in the kitchen hoping that we could at least eat by today. It was a perfect place for us to bond as well, as I talked to them about my life and Dami unni told me about her online shopping mall. We weren’t extremely close yet, but we were getting there.

“You’re an incredibly sweet girl Erika, extremely down-to-earth as well. To be honest I was scared at what to expect from the first girl my son brings home,” Ji Yong’s mom said, as we started setting the table. “He’s only really known people from the entertainment industry, and I was worried about that.”

“You don’t like people from there?” I asked her.

“Of course I do. It’s just…” His mom stopped talking and sat down on the chair, stretching out her legs in front of her. She must be tired from all the hard labour that comes with cooking for an entire family. “It’s just that I wanted something to keep him grounded, to remind him that there is a simple life, a life where he isn’t judged by others and followed by cameras. You don’t find that kind of peace easily when both of you are in the spotlight.” Is that why Ji Yong was angry? To him, I was an exit from the stresses of being a celebrity and if I beared myself to the public it would rid him of that escape. I didn’t want that though. I didn’t want to be seen simply as a safety net, I wanted to rise up to the top and fall with him in this journey called life.

“He doesn’t need me to do that, mother. Ji Yong is strong enough on his own, I’m just there to help him along the way,” I explained.

“Whatever it is, you’re two people who found love in each other and that’s something difficult to do. Thank you for staying by his side Erika.”

“I should be the one thanking him.” The sound of the doorbell interrupted our small moment. Ji Yong’s dad had arrived, just in time for lunch. Here comes round two of meet the family. 

 

*Omma is mom

*Mother as in oemoeni, the formal way of saying mom

AN: Update #2!! One more to go!!