Chapter 9

Try To Be Home

                “My girlfriend?” he asked, turning to look at you. He paused and you bit your bottom lip, wanting to intervene but knowing that you shouldn’t. You didn’t know him well enough for that. “Yeah,” he said with a nod as he turned back to her, “She’s my girlfriend.”

                Your eyes widened as you heard that. You honestly hadn’t expected that response. “Really?” Hyorin asked, her eyes lighting up happily at the news. “Yeah, really,” he said, wrapping an arm around you and pulling you closer to him. His warmth enveloped you and made you blush at the close contact. Your heart fluttered but your mind tried to tell it to shut up. He was lying.

                “Then why didn’t you tell me?” she asked before looking you up and down. You moved in closer to try and escape her eyes. “We just started dating. I was going to tell you next weekend when we were going to go wedding dress shopping,” he said, making it sound so absolutely true.

                  “You would wait that long to tell me?” she teased, turning her attention back to the man who started this whole thing. He shrugged, “Didn’t want you to get jealous.” Her smile faltered at that, maybe she had actually liked him back? You looked away, focusing on a coffee shop nearby instead of them and their games.

                “But I’ll still see you on Saturday?” she asked. He nodded and murmured something to that effect before pulling you towards the coffee shop you had been staring intently at. “What was that about?” you asked him once she was out of earshot.

                “I thought I already explained-”

                “Not her, the pretending I’m your girlfriend part,” you said, moving away from him in order to gain back your personal space. All of a sudden that bubble seemed extremely important. “Oh…that.”

                “Yeah, that.”

                “I don’t know, I guess I just want her to think that I’ve moved on,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck before opening the coffee shop door for you. “Don’t lie, you were trying to make her jealous,” you said, shaking your head at him before eyeing the menu. You didn’t want to stay up all night so maybe something without caffeine. Some sort of tea would be good.

               “And what if I was? Are you going to get mad and make a scene?” he asked, his tone a little too sharp for your liking. “Would you be happy if I did that?” you turned to him and crossed your arms across your chest. “No…” he sighed and took a step forward. The line had moved.

                “Then don’t try and start something,” you chided. “You’re the one who started it.”

                “No, you did that when you lied about our relationship. Are you going to tell her the truth?”

                “Why should I?” he asked. You wanted to respond but the line had moved to the point where you had to order. A chai tea and a strawberry smoothie. “Because if you cared for her you wouldn’t lie to her.”

                “I do care for her,” he growled, “that’s why I’m lying. I don’t want her to feel bad about choosing Jiyong.” You sighed and shook your head before grabbing your drink as the barista called the name. He grabbed his drink too and the both of you sat down at a small table in the corner for a little bit of privacy.

                “Fine, I’ll go along with this,” you sighed before taking a sip of your drink. “Really?” he asked, immediately perking up. “Unlike someone, I don’t lie,” you used your cup to cover up your smile as you . “Whatever, I can deal with that.”

                “You still owe me.”

              “What?” he whined, his lower lip jutting out in a pout. “I never said I would do this for free. You definitely owe me.”

                “Fine, what do you want?” he asked, swirling the whipped cream into his smoothie. “I haven’t decided yet, but once I do, I’ll let you know.” He chuckled and nodded before the two of you left to go walk back to his apartment. You gave him your cup to throw away before getting back on your moped and driving home. What had you gotten yourself into?  

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

hey um...so if you're reading this, could you comment?

i just need to know what ya'll are thinking cause if no one likes this, i'll stop writing it and focus on the other things i'm working on instead

that wasn't meant to be a threat, i'm just saying

...yeah >.>