Chapter 18

Try To Be Home

You had just gotten out of the shower when you heard a knock at the door. You sighed and quickly slipped on your robe before hurriedly walking to the door. You looked through the peephole and immediately turned around. “Go away,” you called, loud enough for him outside the door.

“______-ah, let me in. I have to explain,” he called back. “I don’t care,” you said in a bitingly cold tone before going back to your room to change. When you were in your most comfortable pajamas, you walked back to the kitchen so that you could make yourself a hot meal. You should probably make some tea while you were at it. Standing in the cold rain for that long made you crave the heat.

Unfortunately, the incessant knocking at the door made it impossible for you to focus on cooking. It was just too annoying. You stomped towards the door and threw it open. “What?” you barked, causing Seunghyun to cringe.

“How…How long did you wait?” he asked, looking at your wet hair. “An hour. I waited an hour for you, Seunghyun-ssi. Now, what do you want?” you asked, not hiding an ounce of the annoyance you felt.

“I wanted to apologize.”

“Okay, do that. Then leave.”

“No, let me explain-”

“Did you want to apologize or explain?”

“_____-ah, stop it! Just listen,” he pleaded. Sophie whined from the kitchen and you sighed before letting him in. You closed the door behind him and fed your dog before walking back into the living room to see him standing awkwardly by the couch. “Well,” you said before sitting in a chair, “sit down and explain or I’ll sick Sarah on you.”

“Okay… Well, what happened was…”

 

“What if I made the wrong choice?” she asked, her question hovering in the air before finally seeping into Seunghyun’s brain. “What?” he asked, not quite understanding why she was doing this now. “What if I should have chosen you all along?”

“Why are you doing this?” Seunghyun asked as he ran a hand through his hair, “Why are you doing this now?”

“I thought you loved me.”

“I do… I did,” he said before turning away from her. “You did?” she asked, “Isn’t that past tense?” he sighed before nodding, “Yeah. I kind of gave up on you, or at least I tried to. You’re not easy to forget though.”

“So  then… Why?”

“Because the girl I’m dating makes me forget,” he said with a small smile. “You’re completely over me?” Hyorin asked with more than a little sadness and jealousy in her voice. “I wouldn’t say completely but I’m getting there.” There was a long, drawn out silence in the car. Seunghyun had never realized how loud the sound of his own breathing could be.

“I should take you back,” he finally said, “So you can work things out with Jiyong.”

“Can we stay for a little longer?” she asked, reaching out to grab onto his arm, “I don’t want to go back yet.”

“Why do you make it so I’m always the one having to push you away?” Seunghyun chuckled but his eyes were sad. “Why do you always push me away?”

“Because you and Jiyong were meant to be.” He brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear before pulling away. He started the car up and drove her back to where she belonged. After she got out of the car, he looked at the time and cursed loudly. “Crap! Why does time have to go by so ing quickly?” he exclaimed before speeding all the way to the amusement park. But, it was too late.

 

“That’s…what happened?” you asked, now a little less mad than before. “Yes. I gave up on her. This time it’s for real. I swear,” he said, looking at you like a child who was afraid that telling the truth was going to get them in trouble. It was that “please don’t be mad” look you had given your mother on numerous occasions while growing up.

“Why didn’t you answer my calls?” you asked as Sophie sat down next to you, looking for pets. “Hyorin kind of demanded all of my attention. Besides, it’s bad to talk on the phone while driving,” he tried to joke but you weren’t laughing. “So I’m supposed to believe that you’re just completely over her? Just like that?”

“No-”

“Then why should I-”

“Please, let me finish,” you sighed but let him continue, “I know I’m not one hundred percent over her. She was the first big love of my life, but I chose you over her. I want to be with you. I just need you to be patient with me for a little awhile.”

“What if you’re never really over her?”

“Then I give you full permission to punish me in whatever way you see fit.”

“In whatever way?” you asked with a small smirk. He nodded with a frightened look. You tried to stop yourself from laughing at him, but you couldn’t help it. One giggle turned into a complete laughing fit. “So I’m forgiven?” he asked with a hopeful expression.

“Not quite yet.”

“What? What do I have to do?” he asked, his brow furrowing and his bottom lip jutting out in a small pout. “You must make me dinner and take me on a date to make up for the one that you stood me up on,” you said with a small smile. “The date thing I can definitely do, but the dinner is a little bit more difficult. Can I just pay for your food?”

“Sure, but we’re ordering in,” you said as you walked into the kitchen, “because I am not changing out of my pajamas.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

the sequel is nearing completion, so expect a lot of updates in the next couple of days as i try and finish this one up

btw i seriously need a new poster shop...any suggestions? please?