Chapter 3

Try To Be Home

                It was two days after you had given him the book; you were hoping that he would show up today. So, you had a bag of puppy essentials all ready to go along with his Charlie sitting on the counter with his leash all hooked up. You weren’t going to give him to Seunghyun just yet, but you could let the guy walk his dog. “Waiting for your man-puppy?” your co-worker asked with a small laugh as he walked past you.

                “Yes. Are you still waiting for the girl with the iguana?”

                “Shut up,” you both laughed before he walked to the back room. “When is your owner going to be here?” you asked, playing with Charlie’s ears, “He better hurry up before you get all grown up.”

                “I’m right here,” he said, startling you slightly. You still weren’t used to such a deep voice. Charlie turned and wagged his since his tail wasn’t wagging well enough for him. So does this mean I get my dog now?” he asked in a joking voice while he petted the pup with his large hands.

                “No but I’ll let you walk him around the store and buy some pet supplies.”

                “I love that you have to allow me to do those things.”

                “I love that you love that,” you smiled back at him before picking up Charlie and setting him down on the ground. “Are you coming with us on the walk?” you raised an eyebrow and he sighed, “Yeah, I know, stupid question.”

                You followed him out the door, making sure to call back to your co-worker that you were going out for a bit. Charlie pranced around in front of the two of you, looking very proud to have an owner. Occasionally he would stop and sniff something so the two of you would stop, but then he’s turn and run forward with a squeaky bark.

                “Are dogs always like this?” he asked as Charlie stopped to sniff a lamppost. “What do you mean? Do they sniff things all the time? Yeah, they do, but each dog has his own personality. They’re just like us humans except better.”

                “How are they better?”

                “They don’t lie. They’ll always be there for you if you’re there for them. They’re also always happy to see you. Always. They’re just… better,” you said with a shrug. You could feel his strong gaze on you, analyzing you. “Are they forgiving?” he asked in a deep voice.

                “Yes.”

                “I like dogs then.”

                “I’m glad you do. It would be kind of awkward now if you didn’t. Poor Charlie would be heartbroken,” you said, smiling slightly. “Would you miss me too?”

                “I don’t know you well enough for that,” he sighed, “but I like having you around. I’d miss your presence.”

                “Isn’t that the same thing as missing me?”

                “Nope.”

                “You’re odd,” you sighed, “but I like that.” You pushed on his arm, making him chuckle before moving even closer to you. It was technically an invasion of your personal bubble, but it was also an invasion of his. He trusted you now. Cute.

                “So, I have some doggie groceries for you to buy.”

                “You just like me for my money, huh?”

                “Yes, that is the whole reason,” you said, sarcastically. He chuckled before following you into the store. You explained the items in the bag before telling him the total. He groaned, but paid it nonetheless. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said to Charlie before looking up at you, “And you too.” He winked at you, making you smile before taking the leash from him.

                After he walked out the door, you picked up Charlie and aid, “Tomorrow we’ll pick out a bed and crate for you. How does that sound?” He barked and his tail wagged slightly, making you smile before walking towards the back.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

i feel like this chapter is a little boring, but they need to get closer before any drama can happen so stay with me please :)