Chapter 1

Try To Be Home

                You were standing behind the counter, tapping your highlighter against your textbook as you reread this week’s chapter. You were half-way done with your second to last semester. It was crunch time. You were so absorbed in your book, that you didn’t even notice the sound of the bell as a man walked in. “Hello?” a deep voice interrupted your review.

                “Oh, hello,” you said, looking up. He wasn’t like the people that normally came through here. In fact, he looked like he belonged in some sort of spy thriller at the movies in the outfit he was wearing, probably just got off work. “Can I help you?” you asked, cocking your head to the side.

                “Yeah…um,” he glanced around, his eyes wandering from the toys to the numerous animals around the shop. “Would you like to look at the pets?” you asked, trying your best to stay patient with him. You weren’t good with humans, never had been. Animals on the other hand, you absolutely loved. “Yeah, I’d like a pet. Can you help me?”

                “I can try. What kind of pet were you thinking about?” He swallowed, looking extremely uncomfortable. “Maybe… Maybe a dog?” You laughed, you couldn’t help it, he just looked so helpless, “What kind of dog? How old? Do you want a puppy or an adult? A purebred or a mutt? Do you live in an apartment or do you have a big backyard? Do you work a lot or can you stay at home? There are a lot of things that factor into this. I can’t just give you ‘a dog.’”

                “All of that goes into getting a dog?” he asked, looking like he was in shock. You nodded, “Do you even have any dog supplies? Do you even have a leash?” He shook his head, “I just kind of wandered in here.”

                “Well, why don’t we go over and look at the dogs. You can get an idea of what kind of dog you like and I can start making you a list of supplies you’ll need,” you said, crossing your arms across your chest. People needed to think more before buying a pet. They were a great responsibility. It was a whole other life you were taking care of. They were more helpless than a baby in some respects.

                “Would you do that for me?” he asked, giving you a small smile. You paused, caught up in how handsome he really was for a moment. You nodded and mentally cursed yourself, stupid hormones. “Come on into the back,” you said, leading him to where the dogs were kept.

                You watched him as he walked into the midst of all these excited, barking dogs. You expected him to run away, or stiffen. That was the usual human reaction after all, but his body language became calmer and more open. He seemed so much better around all of these furry beasts. He leaned down and picked up a small cocker spaniel puppy.

                “You’re holding him wrong, here,” you said, correcting his hands. “Oh, thank you,” he nodded before returning his full attention to the pup. His eyes became softer and more gentle the longer he stood with the puppy in his big hands. “You look good together,” you noted, unable to help a smile form creeping onto your lip.

                “You think so?” he asked, looking at you hopefully. He reminded you of one of these dogs. He probably had a bad person before like most of the canines you had here as well. “I think so, but I not letting you take him home yet. You’re not prepared.”

                “Can I come back and see him? Will you keep him here for me until I’m ready?” there was worry in his voice. You immediately took the same tone you used when trying to soothe your pooches when they first came here, “Of course I will. I’ll mark that he has someone waiting for him on his chart. Don’t worry.”

                “Thank you,” he bowed slightly to you before setting the puppy back down on the ground. You nodded and followed him back to the front of the store. “So… I’ll see you tomorrow?” he asked, looking for reassurance. “I’ll be here, don’t worry.” He nodded, relieved, before walking back out the door. “What an odd human,” you mumbled to yourself before turning back to your notes.