Chapter 7! - Choices

Feasting on Flesh

I felt like I would get more emotion out of this chapter if I wrote normally rather than diary-style. I think I'll be switching styles throughout the rest of the story. ^^- Enjoy! ~animeK_oss


"So..." Lexa said nervously then cleared . The broadcast via Dr. Zaroff had just started on another loop. "What now?"

"...We keep living." Haine said simply. Shenbad slammed his fist down onto the table he was sitting at and it broke under his strength.

"Haine is right." Lucy nodded. "There's nothing we can do but survive and make the best of our situation. Just like we've been doing."

"Bull." Shenbad growled. "What we need to do is take action and fight back! Our supplies are low as it is, if we sit around any longer, we'll die of starvation!"

"I'd rather my stomach eats me alive than have a zombie do it." Haine said, leaning back in his chair. Shenbad pulled out his gun and aimed it straight at Haine's forehead, who didn't so much as blink in response.

"If you're so eager to die, let me do that for you." Shenbad snarled, his finger resting dangerously on the trigger.

"L-let's all just calm down." I said, placing a hand on Shenbad's shoulder. "Please?" Slowly, he lowered his arm and put his gun away, jerking away from my touch.

"We'll die if we don't do anything..." Shenbad muttered, placing a cigarette between his lips. He lit it and took a long drag, calming himself down.

"I think Shenbad is right." Axel agreed thoughtfully. "Our options are fight...or die."

"Or die in the process of fighting." Haine sighed, resting his arms behind his head.

"We don't need to stay here." Lexa said, crossing her arms. "If our supplies are low, let's all just move somewhere else. We could make it..."

"Wherever we go, zombies will be waiting." One of the people in Shenbad's group argued quietly. "The fighting will never stop. And if our ammo ever runs out..."

"Maybe..." The second surivor of Shenbad's group began. Ever since the death of the fourth member of Shenbad's group, this guy has been somewhat...unstable. "Maybe we should just--"

"If you say you want to submit to that whack job, Dr. Zaroff..." Shenbad began, then took another long drag before continuing. "I'll kill you right here and now."

Surivor #2 immediately shut his mouth.

"Three for suriving and three for fighting..." Lucy counted, ruling out following Dr. Zaroff as an option. Everyone in the room turned to me.

"Still one more vote." Axel said, stepping behind Shenbad.

"W...wait..." I began slowly. "Y-you're not telling me..."

"You're the tie breaker." Lucy smiled. "Whatever you choose, we do."

"But...I mean..." I swallowed. "Then...why don't we just split into groups? Whoever wants to leave can leave, and whoever wants to fight can fight!"

Axel and Lexa looked at each other then back at me.

"I'm not leaving Axel." Lexa protested.

"And I'm not leaving Lexa." Axel agreed.

"Just pick." Haine sighed. I frowned. Both sides had points, both sides had consequences... Shenbad slipped his hand into mine and for a moment, all my worries fluttered away. With Shenbad I was safe...secure.

"Then..." I began slowly. "Then I think we...we should fight."

"...Fight it is." Lucy said quietly. Lexa went to Axel and held his hand quietly. Haine...I couldn't get myself to look at him. I heard him leave the room, slamming the door as he went.

Everyone shuffled out of the room, some satisfied, others angry...all wondering what the days ahead would bring. Just as I was about to leave, Shenbad pulled me down into his arms to plop onto his lap.

"Thanks." He said, kissing me gently on the forehead. I turned to mush. A blushing pile of mush. Hesitantly, I wrapped my arms behind Shenbad's neck and he pulled me in closer to hold me tightly.


 Haine, Ruri, Shenbad. :)