Chapter 21 - Battle

Feasting on Flesh

Chapter 21: Battle

 

I lift up my gun, aim, and pull the trigger. The paper targed is blasted with near-perfect accuracy, hitting only inches away from the center of the forehead. Nearly three weeks have passed since I arrived at this base. After my last progression test, I learned I still scored the same as since I got here. (Though I had a feeling Leon had something to do with the results.) Regardless, I felt I was already in top conditioning - A real Free Army soldier.

"A-awesome!" My Japanese roomate compliments with a strong accent. 

"Arigato." I reply with a smile. She beams with happiness then goes back to her own target practice.

"Hmph." Sheeda frowns. "Whatever." Even though she says that, it's clear I'm a far better shot than her. I can't help but feel triumphant at finally finding something I'm better at than Sheeda. 

After a few more minutes of practice, my roomates leave the room one by one until I'm left by myself. I take another shot at the target and miss the heart by mere inches. I sigh and stare down at the gun in my hands. Suddenly I'm remembering back to when Lucy taught me how to use a gun back in her basement. The images are so vivid I stumble back for a minute. Lucy, Shenbad...I look back down at the gun in my hands ad grip it tightly. Those two will not have died in vain. 

"I'll kill Zaroff." I growl quietly, making a silent promise to myself. I lift my gun, aim, and pull the trigger, again missing the center of the forehead by inches.

"Not with that accuracy, you won't." I already know who's at the door before turning around.

"Haine!" I smile and run over to meet him. "What are you doing here? I feel like I haven't seen you in forever! Do you know where Axel and Lexa are? What rank did you score?" Haine pauses to think for a minute before replying.

"I felt like seeing you. It has been a while, huh? Axel scored C-3 and Lexa scored D-5, they're both on the other side of camp. As for my rank..." He flips his jacket open to show me the underside and I gasp. A small golden pin with the words "Free" in the center of a shield hangs tightly against his jacket. It's the pin awarded only to generals!

"Y...you're a general?!" I ask, bewildered.

"Surprised?" He asks, slightly offended.

"No, not at all!" I say defensively. "I just didn't expect you'd want to be a general!" He shrugs.

"I mostly took this position because Leon strongly disagreed." He smirks. "His expression was priceless. Besides, I get to see you pretty much whenever I feel like it. The responsibility is a pain, but at least now I don't need to do as much training. I'll probably resign after a little while though." I smile.

"That's just like you, Haine." I giggle. "...You seem a lot more talkative now, though."

"Really?" He asks. "...I guess I just got use to it. You need to talk a lot when you're a general. Ah, I almost forgot. This is for you." He reaches behind his back then hands me a long, black katana - Shenbad's katana. I take it from him and suddenly everything is back in place. I smile as the emptiness inside of me immediately flees.

"Haine..." I smile, holding the sword tightly. "How did you...?"

"It's called 'abusing power'." He replies. I hug him tightly and he places a hand on my back. "Put that thing to good use, got it?"

I nod, then suddenly he's pulling me over to the shooting range.

"Now to work on that aim of yours. Take another shot." Haine says. I strap Shenbad's katana to my hip the put my protective gear on before lifting my gun. This time, I end up barely grazing the shoulder.

"...Here's a tip." He says, holding my arm steadily. "Take a deep breath and shoot while you're exhaling. Also, squeeze the trigger, don't yank it." I take my stance and raise the gun, taking careful aim. I take a breath, exhale halfway, squeeze the trigger, and pray for luck.

I stare at the small hole in the center of the target's forehead and laugh in disbelief.

"Not bad." Haine says, before picking up his own gun. He fires four split second shots and my jaw drops to the floor. Center forehead, neck, center chest, and heart. All areas are hit perfectly by a bullet.

"Show off." I grumble, puffing out my cheeks. He shrugs, and in the next moment, the door behind us bursts open.

"G-General H-Hai--" A blood-drenched man appears and falls to the floor as a bullet is put through his head. Another man appears and lifts his gun at us. I immediately spot the crest on the man's uniform.

"Move!" Haine tackles me to the ground and grunts in pain. He turns, lifts his gun and shoots the man through the head.

Zaroff's soldiers are attacking. Haine holds his side and pulls his hand away bloody.

"Haine!" I exclaim in terror.

"Just a scratch." He waves me off, but coughs up blood. "I'm okay."

An alarm goes off and suddenly I'm frozen.

"Go!" Haine says, gripping my arm. "You need to get out of here. Give me some time to my wounds, I'll catch up later."

"...I...I can't..." I shake my head, reality hitting hard. "I'm not going to leave you! I'm...I'm not ready...! Haine, I'm going to die...I'm going to die!!"

"Snap out of it!" Haine growls, slapping me across the face. He cups my face in his hands and turns it so we're looking each other straight in the eyes. "Weren't you going to kill Zaroff?! Aren't you going to keep fighting?! Are you just going to let Shenbad and Lucy die in vain?! Axel and Lexa are still out there, too! Are you just going to abandon them because you're scared?!" I instinctvely reach for Shenbad's sword and grip the hilt tightly.

"Y..you're right." I nod, cupping his face in my own hands. I take a deep, shaky breath, calming myself. "For the Free Army."

"For our comrades." He says as he leans down to touch foreheads. I stand and take a step towards the door.

"...Don't die on me." Haine calls. I look back at him and smile.

"You too." I say and run out of the room, hoping luck is with me.


What's going to happen next? Will Ruri be strong enough to fight?

Find out in the next chapter!

Thanks for reading!! ;w; Your comments always make my day. ♥