Extra! - Unresolved Ending!

Feasting on Flesh

Extra! - Unresolved Ending!

 

The little girl brushed her black bangs off her face and smiled at the bouquet of flowers she had gathered for her mother. Lavenders, the brightest and sweetest smelling she could find.

"Rune!" Her mother called from the small cottage. The little girl held the bouquet behind her back and ran, excited to see the look upon her mother's face.

"Mommy, Mommy!" Rune laughed, proudly holding up the flowers. "Look! I picked these for you!"

"Oh, Rune." Her mother smiled, gently resting a hand upon her child's head. Rune knew the story of the mechanical coldness behind that arm, yet there was still an odd warmness about the touch that only a mother could have. "They're beautiful. Why don't we go put them in water?"

"Okay!" Rune smiles eagerly. The little girl runs into the kitchen and places the flowers into the vase of water already waiting near the window, next to the other bouquets she had picked that same morning. "Mommy? When is Daddy coming home?"

"Later this week." Her mother smiles, just as excited as her four year old daughter. "Then we'll be going to Germany."

"Germany?" Rune asks, eyes wide in wonder. "Where's that? Is it in Hokkaido, too?" Her mother laughs at that, and Rune beams, happy to have pleased her.

"No," Her mother laughs gently in that way that only she can. "It's in Europe. It's very cold there in the winter and it snows a lot. We're going to visit a few friends."

"Like who?" Rune asks.

"Like Aunt Lexa," Her mother begins, rocking her child in her arms. "And Uncle Axel, and there's a lot of boys and girls there around your age, and that funny man that visited us last time. Do you remember him?"

"The one with the white hair like Daddy?" Rune beams. "A-and he has the foot you can take off? And he talks all funny? And he gave me a lollipop that was cherry flavored? And he fixed my cut when I fell and got hurt?"

"Yes, that's him!" Her mother laughs, proud of her daughter for remembering. "Uncle Braun."

"Who are the other ones though?" Rune questions. "Ummm...Aunt Axie and Uncle Lex?"

"Aunt Lexa and Uncle Axel." Her mother corrects. "They're good friends of Mommy and Daddy. You'll like them."

"Will they give me candy?" Rune asks. "I'll only like them if they do."

"Oh, really?" Her mother scoffs playfully. "Well then I'm sure they'll give you candy." Rune claps her hands joyfully. Her mother smiles.

"...Mommy?" Rune tilts her head in concern. She looks into her mother's eyes and frowns. "Why are you sad? Is it because Daddy isn't here yet? He'll come soon. Then we can all go out and look at stars together!"

"Sad?" Her mother asks, pulling Rune into a hug. "I'm not sad. I'm really happy, Rune! It's because you're in my life. I can't be any happier, and it's all thanks to you! You're special, you know that? You can see into a person's heart. You know exactly what a person is feeling. This is why you're so honest. Never lose that, okay?"

Rune nods her head, not really understanding. Her mother smiles.

"I love you, Rune." Her mother smiles. "I love you so much. So does Daddy."

"I love you too, Mommy!" Rune laughs, wrapping her arms around her mother.

"Now then," Her mother smiles, picking up Rune. "Let's get lunch started."


 

Well, I felt the epilogue really left things unsettled. Even though Haine and Ruri had romantic hints here and there, there wasn't really anything big that happened at the end (other than the fact that Haine finally confessed. -wink wink-) So I added this little extra chapter!

I'm thinking about making a sequel to this story, just a short one. Though I'm not sure if I should or not. xD I most likely will. :)

Anyways, thanks for reading!!! Seriously, you guys have no idea how grateful I am!!! :) :) ♥

 Rune :)