Chapter 22 - Inside Work

Feasting on Flesh

Chapter 22: Inside Work

 

I unsheathe my sword and cut down the man before me. His eyes roll and he falls back, a pool of blood forming under him. The smell instantly hits me and I grimace. How many Zombies had I taken down? Thirty? Forty? I look around at the bloodstained walls around me and hold the hilt of my sword tighter. 

"Over here!" A man with dark brown hair calls to me from down the hallway. I spot the Free Army coat of arms on his jacket and the red bandanna tied around his forehead, also the sign of an ally. I run over to him and lift my pistol, gunning down a Zombie behind him.

"Thanks." He says as we stand back to back, covering each other from both sides. "What's your name, soldier?"

"Ruri Scarlet." I reply, shooting down yet another Zombie. "Rank B-3."

"General Jack Crimson." He introduces, a playful smile on his lips. "This way." He takes off running and I follow. "You're Leon's sub?"

"Yes sir." I reply, and shoot another Zombie down. General Crimson whistles, impressed.

"Scarlet and Crimson." He grins. "I like it."

"Where are all these Zombies coming from, Sir?" I ask..

"Good question." He spits. "That's exactly what I'd like to know. Ah, over here!" He pulls me aside into a room and shuts the door behind him tightly. The sound of guns cocking echo through the room and I whirl around to see three shadows holding weapons at the ready.

"General Crimson!" Axel calls, putting away his gun. Once his eyes meet mine, he instantly beams. "Ruri!"

"Ruri?" Lexa's head pops up from out of the shadows. She runs over and wraps her arms around my waist. "Ruri!"

"Thank goodness you're safe." Leon sighs in relief from the other side of the room. He quickly makes his way over and rests an arm around my shoulder, his expression changing to deadly as he turns to General Crimson. "How did these Zombies make it past security?"

"I'm wondering the same thing." General Crimson sighs, scratching the back of his head. "Anyways, we're not doing any good hiding out here. Axel, come on."

"Yes sir!" Axel replies, running to stand beside his commander. Lexa instinctively moves to her brother's side.

"What's your plan?" Leon questions. "We don't even know how many we're facing or their position. It's suicide."

"What do you have in mind?" General Crimson retorts. "Right now, the only thing we can do is take down as many Zombies as possible. If luck be with us, we can fight our way to Communications. Hopefully we can send an S.O.S." Leon curses under his breath, but grips his gun tightly.

"Fine." He shakes his head before turning to me. "Ruri, you stay here. I don't want you getting hurt."

"Bull crap!" I exclaim, then remember Leon is my commander. "I-I mean...with all due respect, Sir, I need to fight! You need as much help as you can get."

"She's a real good shot, too." General Crimson grins. Leon shoots him a look that can kill.

"Leon, please." I plead. "I'm a soldier, too. This is why I'm here. This is what I've been trained for." Hesitantly, he nods his head.

"But don't you dare leave my side." He orders, gripping my arm. I give him a nervous smile.

"Wouldn't dream of it." 

"Okay." General Crimson says, popping his neck. "Everyone ready? Good. Let's move." We burst through the door and take off sprinting.

~~

"Well..." I pant, completely out of breath. "W...we made it...somehow." I reload my handgun then look around the room we're now in.

"What took you all so long?" Braun smiles from a plush rolling chair. Haine sits beside him, some kind of transmitter set before them on a long table. Computer screens cover the walls. I see the white bandages over his side and let out a sigh of relief.

"I'm so glad you're okay." I smile at Haine. He shrugs, but the side of his lip twitches upwards ever so slightly.

"What's the situation?" Leon asks, taking a seat next to Braun. 

"All connections have been cut." Braun sighs. "I'm trying to get hold of anyone, but so far it's just static. Zaroff is good. On the plus side, look at this."

Braun pulls up a computer screen and begins to type rapidly, his fingers a blur. A map of the base pops up with red and yellow dots everywhere.

"Looks like settin' up a GPS system is payin' off." He grins. "These red dots are generals and the yellow dots are anyone A-5 class and lower. Oh, we've installed tracking systems in everyone's uniforms."

"I never heard of this!" Lexa blushes, searching her clothes.

"Anyways," Braun continues, pointing at the screen. "We're here. It seems most of the fighting is being done in sector A-4, meaning our security was probably breached around this area." 

"What's the 'plus side'?" General Crimson asks. 

"We're winning." Braun smiles. "So far, at least. Zaroff's troops entered through an area with skilled soldiers, so we're holding up." Braun presses a button on his computer and more windows pop up. He plugs in a wire and the computer screens covering the walls all light up.

"Security cameras." Braun explains. Everyone watches the screens intently as Zombies and Free Army soldiers clash. Leon stands.

"What are we just sitting here for?!" He explodes. "We need to act!"

"Sure." Braun says calmly, entering some kind of codes into his computer. On his screen, a target locks onto a Zombie soldier. Braun presses a few buttons and suddenly that Zombie is pumped full of lead. "I added some unique features to these security cameras. Machine guns for example."

"Coooool!!!" Axel and Lexa cry in awe. "Can we try?!"

"Go for it." Braun grins and jerks his thumb towards a couple more computers. Axel and Lexa run over and seat themselves before a screen.

"It's just like a video game!!" Axel beams as he and his sister begin shooting down Zombies left and right. Leon's hands curl into tight fists and he turns for the door.

"I feel like a coward fighting like this." Leon growls. "I'm going out there. Hiding here is hurting my pride."

"Now we're talking." Haine grunts and stands himself up to walk beside Leon. He shrugs on his jacket then pulls out a gun.

"Hey, don't leave me out of the fun." General Crimson grins, also turning towards the door.

"Wait!" I call after them. "General Crimson, this is the best tactic! We can all stay here, safe, and still help our comrades! Plus, you're still injured, Haine! And you, Leon, what's pride got to do with anything?! It won't be any good if you...If you..."

"Die?" He smiles, turning to look back at me. "What's a man without his pride? I need to go out there, Ruri. Besides...if I look cool in front of you, that's good enough." I grip Shenbad's sword and take a deep breath.

"Idiots." I shake my head and stand beside Haine. "If you're all going, I will not be left behind." Haine and General Crimson grin at me, but Leon looks hesitant.

"Let's go." I smile.

"What?!" Braun shouts from his seat. Computer screens begin to go blank left and right. "No, no, no!!"

"We didn't do anything!" Axel and Lexa say, scooting away from their computers.

"No," Braun growls, typing furiously. "We've been hacked! It's a virus!!" Explosions shake the underground base and I fall to my knees from the tremors. Bloodcurdling shrieks of agony and terror are heard from all the way on the other side of base.

"What?!" Leon cries, running towards the door. General Crimson suddenly moves in front of his path and strikes him down by an elbow to his gut. Leon staggers back in pain and shock, and General Crimson takes the opportunity to kick him across the face, knocking him to the floor. Haine punches out at General Crimson who swerves, grabs his arm, and flips him over his back.

"Alright, listen up." General Crimson grins, reaching into his jacket. The room becomes eerily silent once we see the weapon: a hand grenade. Only the sound of our dying comrades pierce the air. "Don't do anything stupid. Drop your weapons, or everything goes 'boom'."

"What's the meaning of this, Crimson?!" Leon roars, holding his stomach.

"Why don't I just show you?" He smiles and points a finger towards the only computer screen that hadn't gone blank. Everyone's eyes turn towards the fuzzy image and my blood turns cold. That slicked back, black hair, long coat, scarred face, and the unmistakable coat of arms. I've seen that broadcast enough times to know exactly who this was.

Dr. Dragunov Zaroff turns to stare at the security camera pointing at him and grins like the Cheshire Cat. For a few moments everyone stares in shock at the madman. I feel as if he can see me through the computer screen.

His grin almost audibly saying, "I'm coming for you." A shiver runs through my spine. Then, the screen goes blank.


And Zaroff finally makes an appearance!!

We're finally coming near the end of the story!!! OwO