Chapter 23 - Losers Don't Get an Option

Feasting on Flesh

Chapter 23: Losers Don't Get an Option

 

One by one, we hand our weapons over to General Crimson as he holds the grenade over our heads like a trophy.

"You can keep that one." He says to me, pointing at the sword.

"You traitorous, lying, piece of s--!" Leon is cut off by a sharp kick to the jaw by General Crimson.

"Actually," General Crimson grins, his finger placed dangerously on the grenade's pin. "I was never part of the Free Army to begin with. So...I prefer the term 'spy'."

"You say it like you're proud." I growl, my hands curling into tight fists. He grins then makes his way over to me.

"Of course I am," He laughs cheerfully, pinching my cheeks with his hand. "You want to know a secret, Miss Scarlet?" He pulls me close so that his mouth is right next to my ear.

"I'm Zaroff's second in command." He whispers and I gasp.

"Get away from her!" Haine charges. General Crimson whips out a kick and hits Haine's injured side directly. Haine cries out in pain and falls back.

"Did you forget who's in charge of the situation?" General Crimson laughs, and playfully juggles the grenade around. "I'm crazy enough to do it, you know." Haine forces himself to his feet but Leon stops him.

"Crimson was always best when it came to hand-to-hand combat." Leon snarls, realizing we're at a total disadvantage.

"Good!" General Crimson smiles and claps his hands together. Everyone watches the grenade, holding their breaths. "You've finally realized what kind of position you're in!" 

"To think..." Axel snarls, his hands shaking with restrained fury. "To think I actually looked up to someone like you! I can't believe I actually--!!"

"Oops," General Crimson reaches into his pocket and cuts off Axel. He pulls out a small beeping communicator. "Sorry, I have to take this. You don't mind, right? Great!" He pulls the communicator up to his ear.

"Get ready to strike." Leon mutters only loud enough for me to hear. General Crimson turns his attention away from us for a moment and Leon jumps. I follow and so does Haine.

"Right now?!" General Crimson cries into his device. He swiftly pivots and dodges all three of us, his attention entirely on the communicator. "Yeah, I'm in Communications. Don't worry, your appearance was totally dramatic!"

"He's just playing with us." Leon curses as he's sent flying back by General Crimson's punch.

"Uhh..." General Crimson continues casually. Haine goes in for another strike, but is knocked down by a powerful knee to the gut. "Five, I think? No, there's six. Yeah, two generals. Really? Alright! Bye!" General Crimson places the communicator back into his pocket and I take the opportunity.

I pull out my sword and strike out at his head.

"Whoa!" General Crimson holds the grenade between his head and the sword and I stop my blade just in time. "That was dangerous. Don't make me regret letting you keep that. What are you trying to do, Miss Scarlet? Blow up the entire base? Now then... where were we?" He grabs my arm and smiles down at me, a bloodthirsty look in his eyes. 

"Ruri!" Leon and Haine call out to me and I shut my eyes, bracing for Crimson's attack. Instead all I get is a flick to the forehead. I stagger back in surprise and look up at General Crimson whose head is thrown back in laughter.

"Ah," Crimson chuckles, calming himself down. "That was a good laugh. I'm not really fond of hurting girls, you see." I blush, humiliated.

"I always knew you were insane." Leon glares hatefully. 

"Me too." General Crimson sighs sadly. "Zaroff is making his way over here as we speak. If I were you, I'd say everything you need to say before it's too late." With that, he waves goodbye and exits the room, locking it behind him. The room spreads with a heavy silence as the direness of our situation finally sinks in. Haine swears loudly and punches the ground.

"So we're just sheep waiting to be slaughtered." I cry in despair, falling to my knees. "Is this really how it ends? Was all this training for absolutely nothing? Zaroff always knew he was winning and when we finally had a shard of hope, it's ripped away? What kind of sick joke is this suppose to be...?" I feel the sting of tears behind my eyes, but don't bother to hold them back. Lexa begins to cry as well and Axel wipes furiously at his eyes to keep his own tears at bay. Braun sits quietly, that calm and calculated look on his face.

"Don't." Haine says gently, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I expect him to tell me it's okay. That everything will be alright and we'll pull through somehow...but...nothing.

"Ruri..." Leon begins, taking my hand. He pulls me away from Haine then stares me straight in the eyes. He hesitates for a moment, but takes a deep breath and continues. "There's a lot I want to tell you, but...I don't know how much time we have. I'm sorry for pulling you into this. I'm sorry for not being strong enough to protect you...But mostly...I'm sorry for not telling you how much I love you sooner."

"Leon..." I begin but he stops me with a smile.

"I'm in love with you, Ruri." He continues, his hands shaking. "I know you don't feel the same and that you're still getting over Shenbad...I know you think I'm a pain and you only think of me as a friend... But I still... I still want to say the words 'I love you'. So...thanks, Ruri. For putting up with my feelings."

Tears flood my vision and I pull him into a tight hug.

"Idiot!" I laugh through the pain. My heart feels constricted knowing this could be our last moment together. Knowing and hating that he was saying goodbye. Even though I know all this, the only thing I can pull out of my mouth are insults. "Stupid! You dumb, foolish man! I hate this! You're so stupid! You chased after me even when you knew my feelings! You idiot! Idiot! I hate this!! I hate this so much!!!!"

"Yeah," He croaks, holding me tight. "I know...I know."

Haine turns to me and opens his mouth to speak.

"Sorry to keep you all waiting." Everyone's heads snap towards the door as it slowly creaks open. "Now let's begin."

Dragunov Zaroff stands proudly at the door, a chilling air of power bouncing off of him. General Crimson stands by his side with thirty Zombies behind them. Everyone freezes.

"You..." I croak. "Zaroff...!"

"In the flesh." He takes a low bow. Zaroff's eyes drift down to Shenbad's katana strapped at my hip and he grins. "Ah, you like swords too, Miss..."

"Scarlet." General Crimson says. "Ruri Scarlet."

"What a beautiful name." He compliments, striding over to me. Leon and Haine tense up, but sit back down when Zaroff's guards aim their guns. "Why don't we have a match?"

Zaroff lashes out at my face with a blade and I move back just in time. I stand and unsheath my katana. Zombies all raise their guns at me, but Zaroff waves them down. He charges again and it takes everything I can to keep up with his swift movements. Blood flies everywhere, but I can't feel anything. I parry most of his blows and wait for an opening to strke.

Now!! My head screams and I raise my katana to attack. Zaroff's leg suddenly whips out and I'm sent sprawling on the ground by a violent kick to the chin; my katana goes flying to the other side of the room. I attempt to stand, but Zaroff places his heavy boot on my left arm, pinning me to the cold floor. 

"Ruri!!" Axel and Lexa cry.

"Tell me, Miss Scarlet." He hisses, slowly crushing my arm as he applies more pressure. "Would you like to join me? I'd be happy to properly teach you how to weild that weapon. What do you say?"

"I decline." I snarl and spit on his boot. "I...hate you!!" His eyes narrow like a cat's.

"That's too bad." He sighs then raises his sword. He gently touches the tip to my arm and smiles. "I had a feeling we could've got along swimmingly. Oh, well. What should I cut off first? Your hand? Your nose? An ear? What do you think, Miss Scarlet?" I shoot him a death glare.

"Ah, whatever!" He grins. "What do I care about what you think?! Let me teach you something, Miss Scarlet." He stomps down on my arm and crushes the bone. I scream in agony and dig my nails into his ankle in a feeble attempt to lift the pressure off. I see him raise his sword through my tears. "In life, there's the winning side and there's the losing side. And you know something? Losers don't get an option."

I feel his sword cut right above my elbow. Into the skin, muscle, bone, and all the way through. 

My screams pierce the air, accompanied by Zaroff's deranged laughter.


~~

Long chapter m(_ _)m

Actually, all the chapters after this are going to be pretty long. We're nearing the very end!!!!!!