Eighteen

But You're the Only One

 

Jiyeon’s POV

 

1 New Message: Suho

 

Hey Jiyeon, for dinner later we’ll be throwing Sehun a small birthday surprise! Please be there! And don’t tell him, or it won’t be a surprise! ^^

 

“Who was that? Another suitor?” Ha Eun nudged me playfully.

 

“Nah, just Suho. He’s the leader of EXO-K. Nothing much,” I replied casually.

 

“Oh, Suho’s the good-looking one. I did my research. Wait, he texted you about that Sehun guy?” She leaned in, reading my text aloud.

 

“Ssh! We’re in public,” I covered .

 

Ha Eun laughed.

 

“There are many Sehuns around, Jiyeon ah,” she whacked my back and chuckled.

 

“Well, better be safe than sorry,” I retorted.

 

“Whatever. Hey, shouldn’t you be getting him a present?” she poked my side. I yelped.

 

“I know, but I don’t know what to get him. He’s been really sweet, though,” I mumbled, thinking of something else.

 

“Awww, you seem like you’re falling for him!” Ha Eun cooed, batting her eyelashes.

 

“Ew, stop being so disgusting. And no, I’m not.” I pushed her away.

 

What would Sehun like? Did he like plushies?

 

Nah, he didn’t seem like the kind.

 

Would he like gadgets?

 

But I hadn’t got my paycheck yet.

 

I suddenly thought of Sehun’s face.

 

Sehun’s eye-smile, his adorable lisp, his white glowing skin...

 

Actually, Sehun was very handsome and charming.

 

The way he laughed, how he looked when he was mad, when he was in a daze, his deadpan face...

 

For no rhyme or reason, Jongin’s infamous smirk suddenly popped up in my head. Ugh. I shook my head vigorously to get rid of the thought.

 

“Jiyeon ah, are you alright? You feeling okay?” Ha Eun stared at me, her eyes opening wide. She quickly cupped my face and placed her hand on my forehead.

 

“You’re not having a fever. Thank goodness,” she sighed in relief, placing a hand over her chest.

 

“I’m as fit as a bull,” I assured her.

 

“For a moment you looked like you had a mega headache there,” Ha Eun said, imitating my head shaking motion. Correction – she exaggerated it 100000 times.

 

I shook my head and laughed. She began laughing too, and slipped her hand into mine.

 

“Eh, you could get him a cap! I know boys that age have a thing for caps!” she suddenly chirped, pointing at a cart stall in the next street.

 

“It’s affordable, but it doesn’t look cheap at all! And it’s pretty,” she added, nodding her head in satisfaction.

 

“Araseo. You should get a marketing degree, Ha Eun!” I suggested.

 

I wasn’t joking; I kind of meant what I said. It was undeniable that she did have some flair for advertising and all.

 

“Whatever. Maybe,” she turned to me and beamed.

 

“Eun ah, are you sure you don’t have a boyfriend?” I squinted skeptically.

 

“No, what made you think that? I’ve told you a thousand times before. I’m not getting one unless you get married. Then I can get hitched peacefully,” she firmly said.

 

“You serious about that?”

 

“Yeah, more serious than ever.”

 

I sighed. No one could make Ha Eun change her mind. She was just so obstinate. Being resolved was a good thing, but sometimes it became her weakness too.

 

“Don’t regret it.”

 

“I won’t. Trust me,” she patted my arm reassuringly. 

 

I settled on a flat cap for Sehun. It’d make him look more sophisticated, we thought.

 

“Omo, it’s so late! I’ve gotta run! I’m going to be late for my job! Catch up soon, Jiyeon ah!” Ha Eun shrieked. She gave me a quick peck on the cheeks and ran after the bus like a madwoman.

 

“What job?” I yelled after her.

 

“Night job!” she screamed back.

 

I was stunned for a moment.

 

Then I remembered.

 

Ha Eun did mention a new job to me about two weeks ago.

 

I looked at the time. It was already 6PM. I gasped when I realized I was going to be very fashionably late for the dinner. I hailed for a cab at the nearest pick up point and rushed home.

 

The house was in darkness. I reckoned my mum had gone out to meet her friends for some gambling again.

 

I sighed when I saw confirmation on the table – a hastily scribbled note.

 

Jiyeon ah,

 

Don’t bother waiting for me to come home tonight. I’ve gone to my friend’s place for mahjong. I don’t know when I’ll be back.

 

-Umma

 

My mum has always been a gambling addict. Even though we were financially strapped after my father passed on, she relentlessly gambled our savings away – and landed us in huge debt. My brother, who had finished high school, took up three jobs to pay off the debt.

 

I exhaled again and rummaged through my wardrobe for an outfit.

 

My phone rang. I rushed to answer it.

 

Jinsoo was on the other line.

 

“Yah, Jiyeon! Are you ready? I’m nearing your home already,” he asked.

 

“Yes, I’ll be done soon.”

 

“Alright, see you.”


“Yup.” I hung up and ran to grab a pair of heels from the cupboard Ha Eun picked out for me.

 

After darting across the apartment for a few minutes, I heard a honk from the ground floor. I stuck my head out of the window and waved to Jinsoo, who was looking out his car window.

 

“Sorry for the wait!” I apologized profusely as I tottered in my heels toward the car.

 

He was leaning on the car door and glancing at his watch. Jinsoo’s blonde hair was no longer a Mohawk, but a side swept fringe instead. He turned to me and grinned his boyish Jinsoo way.

 

“Hey, beautiful.”

 

I blushed involuntarily when he said that. He chuckled and opened the door for me. I’d gradually learned to see Jinsoo as a 25-year-old man instead of the immature student I had in the past. After all, he was Director Kang.

 

“Jiyeon ah, could you hand this to Sehun for me?” Jinsoo slipped me a beautifully wrapped up box.

 

“Sure, but why can’t you pass it to him yourself?” I turned to him as he started the engine.

 

“I won’t be staying for dinner. My mum wants me home,” he pouted.

 

Awww, Jinsoo was a mama’s boy.

 

“That’s shooo cute,” I laughed.

 

“Hey! I’m still your sunbae, Song Jiyeon!” he retorted.

 

“Araseo,” I smirked. He briefly turned to me and squinted.



 

Director Kang positioned Jiyeon’s arm around his and the both of them sashayed into the posh-looking bar. They were fashionably late.

 

“Aigoo, look who are here!” Manager Ma roared when he caught sight of the two latecomers.

 

“Omo, it’s y Jiyeon again,” Chen wiggled his eyebrows, earning a slap on the head from Kris.

 

“Jiyeon!” Baekhyun squeaked and ran to catch a glimpse of the both of them. He stopped dead in his tracks.

 

She’s so pretty...

 

OMG! Byun Baekhyun, stop looking at your dongsaeng like that! Baekhyun mentally smacked himself. He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, blushing.

 

“Waddup!” Chanyeol winked and grinned wildly, popping out behind Baekhyun (as usual). Jiyeon laughed and waved to him.

 

“Aigoo, hurry up! Or D.O. will finish up your share and start nagging!” Suho rushed to the front and pulled Director Kang and Jiyeon to the dinner table, where the other members were busy helping themselves to the spread.

 

Jiyeon gasped at the expanse of food on the table. Was it even humanly possible to finish this in one night?

 

“Ani, I’ll be going now. Just wanted to say hi!” Director Kang bowed and turned to leave.

 

“Yah Kang Jinsoo!” Manager Ma called after him. Director Kang merely gave a heart-fluttering eye smile and disappeared.

 

“Yah... that guy always does that. He just loves running off at the crucial moments,” Manager Ma sighed.

 

“He had to meet his mum for dinner,” Jiyeon explained.

 

“Mwoh?!” some of the boys chorused.

 

“Ah, Director Kang is a good kid,” Manager Ma laughed. The other EXO boys chuckled along and proceeded to have their dinner.

 

“Jiyeon, sit with me!” Sehun patted the empty space beside him. Jiyeon smiled and did as she was told.

 

“Here, you should try this,” he said, transferring a piece of barbequed beef onto Jiyeon’s plate.

 

“Thanks, Oppa.”

 

“Wow wow wow, what do we have here!” Chen sniggered and gave Xiumin a fist bump.

 

Sehun blushed furiously and Jiyeon threw them a clueless look. She truly had no idea what was going on. Though she was certain she heard a couple of low laughs from Tao too.

 

Xiumin puffed up his cheeks and blinked innocently at her, making her guffaw with amusement.

 

Jiyeon suddenly felt a heavy weight beside her, and the cushion of the seats sank a little.

 

She turned and saw Kai plopped down comfortably right beside her. The scent of his cologne was engulfing her.

 

Jiyeon frowned slightly at Kai, who appeared to be oblivious of her glare as he continued tucking into his food.

 

When she turned away, a sly grin crept up his face.

 

Jiyeon, you’re so dense. Why should I leave you alone with Sehun?

 

“Jiyeon! Let’s sit together – oh,” Luhan gazed at Jiyeon, who was comfortably sandwiched between the two maknaes.

 

“Oh well, I’ll just sit opposite you then,” he beamed and sat down. Lay sat beside Luhan and nudged him to make some space for Kris and Tao.

 

“Nice evening,” Kris raised his glass and looked around uneasily. The entire table was in awkward silence.

 

A few moments later, they all burst out laughing.

 

“Nice try, Duizhang,” Luhan chuckled, wiping an imaginary tear from his eye.

 

“Stop laughing so much, guys! It’s bad for digestion!” D.O. nagged.

 

“Araseo, Umma,” Kai waggled his tongue at D.O., who scowled. Kai’s expression turned serious instantly and he diverted his attention to his dinner.

 

“Mmmm, this is daebak,” Chanyeol mumbled with his mouth full.

 

“Aish! What are you doing, Park Chanyeol?” Baekhyun reached out for a napkin to wipe the crumbs off his chin.

 

Sehun passed Jiyeon a couple more dishes before helping himself to them.

 

“Thanks, Oppa. I’ll do it myself,” she pursed her lips into a smile.

 

“Sure,” Sehun eye-smiled, making Jiyeon pink in the cheeks.

 

Sehun’s a serial girl killer, she thought.



 

 

The room suddenly turned dim as someone switched off the lights. 

 

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..." the boys at the table began singing. A waiter wheeled a candle-lit birthday cake into the dark room.

 

The flickering light of the candles eluminated the entire room. 

 

Through the candle light, a surprised smile could be seen forming gradually on Sehun's pale face. 

 

“Here’s a toast to our dearest and cutest maknae with milky skin, Oh Sehun! Happy birthday, Sehun ah!” Suho stood up and proposed a toast to Sehun, smiling his widest.

 

“Happy birthday, Sehun!” the other members stood up and lifted their glasses.

 

Jiyeon gasped at the sudden cheers as she realized she nearly forgot his birthday gift she had prepared.

 

I think I should give it to him now, she deliberated. 

 

“Um, happy birthday, Sehun Oppa!” Jiyeon smiled awkwardly, handing Sehun her present for him, as well as Director Kang’s.

 

“That’s from Jinsoo-uh, I mean Director Kang, by the way,” she added.

 

“Thanks, Jiyeon ah!” he beamed and hugged her tight, savoring the moment. 

 

Meanwhile, fireworks were exploding within the chambers of his heart. 

 

This is the best birthday ever. 

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

“Yah, you’ve got sauce on your mouth,” Jiyeon smiled and wiped Sehun’s mouth with a napkin. Sehun merely laughed and patted Jiyeon’s head.

 

“Jiyeon, you should have more food. You’re so tiny!” Sehun scooped an entire truckload of beef onto Jiyeon’s plate.

 

“Thanks, Oppa.” Jiyeon smiled with full. Sehun chuckled and pinched her cheek. Jiyeon rubbed her reddened cheek and slapped his back playfully.

 

I watched as Sehun and Jiyeon had their attention entirely on each other. Honestly, I’d never seen the maknae so happy during the entire time I knew him, even during the trainee days.

 

Inevitably, I noticed the gloomy aura emitting from the person beside Jiyeon. Kai seemed to be very bothered by their chumminess. My take was that he probably felt left out.

 

I gently nudged Baekhyun and darted my eyes at the couple opposite.

 

Baekhyun scrunched his nose up such that faint wrinkles appeared along his nose bridge and shook his head.

 

“Those two look like they are getting along just fine,” D.O. commented, looking up from his mountain of food. His eyes seemed even larger today than usual.

 

“Yeah, they sure are. We’ve got a brand new reason to tease Oh Thehun now,” Suho said.

 

“Aw yeah, life’s gotten interesting!” Chen smirked, rubbing his hands in glee.

 

“I guess this could be more interesting than Gucci?” Tao blinked.

 

“Of course,” Xiumin looked at Tao sideways and grinned.

 

“Hey! That hurt!” Tao whimpered, looking offended.

 

“Awwww, Tao,” Luhan cuddled Tao affectionately, which made some of the other guys (including myself) roar in laughter.

 

“Grow up, you guys,” Kris stared disapprovingly at us.

 

“What? Everyone wants some fun now and then,” I shrugged and opened my eyes huge.

 

Out of the blue, Lay suddenly snorted and laughed, which sent everyone else at the table laughing – except one person. And we all knew who that person was, didn’t we?

 

“Stop that, Park Chanyeol,” Kris glared at me murderously. I gulped and looked down at my corn on the platter. It looked as if it felt sorry for me.

 

Yes Mr. Corn, only you understand my feelings.

 

I sighed and patted the corn with my chopsticks.

 

“A penny for your thoughts?” Baekhyun leaned in and whispered.

 

“It’s getting a little stuffy in here, I’ll go outside for a bit.”

 

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and nodded.

 

I stood up and brushed my pants.

 

“Where are you going, Chanyeol?” Suho enquired.

 

“Getting some fresh air,” I muttered a reply before heading out the door.



 

I didn’t bother covering myself up outside. The bar was extremely dim, and everyone was perhaps woozy from the alcohol. Besides, no one would expect Park Chanyeol to be in a place like this.

 

I sat down at the bar counter and looked around for a waiter.

 

“What would you like, sir?” a pretty bartender attended to me.

 

I looked her from top to toe.

 

She was tall and lanky, but she had a good S line. And she was quite a good looker.

 

Whoops! Sorry, that thought was supposed to be private!

 

“You,” I winked at her, attempting to pick her up.

 

I’ve a confession.

 

I hadn’t picked girls up for more than a year. I was more than afraid that my skills had become old-fashioned, somewhat.

 

“Sorry? I’m not on the menu, dear sir,” she leaned over the counter and raised her eyebrows at me.

 

“That’s too much of a pity,” I smirked at her.

 

She opened to give me a reply, but stopped abruptly. She gasped.

 

“Park Chanyeol?”

 

Shucks, she knew me? I fumbled for a marker in my pocket to ready myself in case she asked for an autograph.

 

“You’re Park Chanyeol from EXO, aren’t you?” she asked a little bit louder.

 

“Ssh!” I covered with my hand. She immediately slapped it away.

 

“Filthy.”

 

I looked at her, hurt. No one had called me filthy before in all my twenty years of living. I am the Park Chanyeol, the Happy Virus, whom everyone loves. 

 

“Is Jiyeon here?” she asked again.

 

“What?! You know Jiyeon?” I was shocked. And I was just about to give her my autograph, at that. So she knew me because of Jiyeon?

 

“Yeah, of course I know her! Is she here with you?” she smiled in satisfaction, leaning back with her arms crossed.

 

“Uh, yeah.” I scratched my head and looked at her.

 

“Could you take me to see her?” she asked, her eyes b with excitement. Adrenalin rushed all over me. This was my chance.

 

“Well... I could, but I don’t do things for free,” I grinned, handing her my phone.

 

“Whatever,” she hastily typed her number in. The pretty bartender ran out of the counter and linked her arm in mine. This sent my heart racing – just a little bit.

 

“So... where is she?” 

 

Yay here's chapter eighteen, I hope you guys liked it! It's pretty cute and sweet, I think xD A little slice of Chanyeol's life can be seen here, he's picking girls up and doing his thing yeah~ Oh how I adore baozi sometimes, he's so cute :3

Comment replies

@Gigi_L Yeah I guess that's typical Kai eh, breaking the rules x.x 

@Yeonjae HAHA xD maybe? :D :D 

@lightitup Yeah they've had such a bittersweet past eh! Sure ^^ my pleasure ;) 

@thepwahlove HAHAHA WHAAT!!!! LOLOL woah you're really rooting for kai here! XD 

And as always, please comment/subscribe/add me! ^^ Love y'all <3

 

PS I won't be updating so regularly for the next two weeks, I'm flying overseas for a holiday! :) Stay tuned!