Love letters

Heartbeat

 

Chapter 5

 Love letters

            Two months have passed. Dongwoo and I have been able to study every Tuesday; except for days he had football. Every time I tutored him the harder I fell, and I believe my friends are catching on. They have said that I have been acting weird lately, more ‘giddy’ as they describe it. Walking to my locker with Brie and Charlie after lunch I notice a little pink sticky note on it. Facing my locker, Brie took down the stick note and read it over:

 Sometimes a little smile, sometimes a little glare, is what makes me feel you will always take care, Sometimes a few words, sometimes a little touch, is what tells me why I love you so much.

“Claire bear do you have a secret boyfriend or something?” she asked after reading the note aloud.

“Nope” I said.

“Well then girl you have a secret admirer.” Brie giggled. Ever since that day I kept on receiving either a line form a poem. So far I have:

Before you, there was only just me,
Ever planning, always hopeful, but never complete.

I found it on my first period desk

Before you, there was only just one hope,
Everlasting, always there, but never achieved.

Brie actually found this one before me. She found it stuck to one of my textbooks I had forgotten in the library.
Before you, there was only just one thought,
Ever striving, always seeing, but never fulfilling.

Brie, Charlie and I were all startled when we got this note. Some freshmen kid walked into our Visual Arts classroom and gave the note to me. He wouldn’t tell me who it was from, and left immediately after giving the note to me.
Before you, there was only just one heart,
Ever searching, always reaching, but never finding.
Before you, my life was empty always searching.

            It’s the start of a new semester and I am anything but excited. I always thought that I would be excited for my final semester; however my life has been turned upside. My mind keeps telling me the notes are some kind of prank pulled on to me by the popular people. Looking over my schedule I noticed that I had Environmental Management first in class 215. Oh that can’t be that far from my old homeroom I thought. Going towards my locker to drop off my coat I noticed a single light pink rose attached to the front. I inspected the beautiful flower carefully. However my happiness came to end quickly, as someone ripped the flower out of my hand. Stunned I turned around ready to yell at the person but I quickly shut my mouth. The person who took my rose was none other than Nana; the head cheerleader and probably one of the meanest ones too.

“Aw look girls, looks like the nerd here has an admirer,” she said passing the rose off, “or did you just plant it yourself to feel loved?” She sneered. Too scared to do anything I just stood there, taking her abuse. “Yeah nerd! I asked you a question.” Nana said, grabbing my face making me look directly at her.

Practically shaking I began to stutter, “I … I just found I…it there…to…today.” “Wrong answer.” She grinned raising here hand. Closing my eyes I waited or the impact. But I didn’t feel anything.

            Opening my eye cautiously, I looked up to see someone holding onto Nana’s hand. My saviour was none other than… Dongwoo?! When I looked at Dongwoo, he upheld the scariest expression I had ever seen. “Nana, what do you think you are doing?” he questioned through a clenched jaw, “Picking on people isn’t nice you know.” Dongwoo let go of Nana’s hand and looked at me. Scared out of my mind I began to back away nervously. Seeing my expression he faced back to Nana and told her to leave me alone. She left angry I thought I could see steam coming out of her ears. Turning to leave I picked up my stuff, “Where do you think you’re going little miss?” Dongwoo asked with a sly smile.

Jumping in my spot I faced him, and hung my head down so he wouldn’t be able to see how red I was; thank you hair. “Thank you.” I whispered.

“What?” he asked slightly amused, “I couldn’t hear you.” Taking a big breathe of air I looked him right in the eyes,

“Thank you, you know for saving me back there.”

            Laughing he began talking again, “What, no jerk in the sentence? Did the little nerdy girl come back?” he said mocking me.

“NO” I haughtily said, “I was just thanking you.” I turned to leave.

 Dongwoo grabbed my arm, “I’m sorry. Please stay I want to talk to you.” Turning back around, I stood there patiently watching Dongwoo. He took off his backpack and took out another light pink rose; almost identical to the one that was stuck on my locker, and a piece of paper.

Before you, there was only just me,
Ever planning, but never complete.
Before you, there was only just one hope,
Everlasting, but never achieved.

Before you, there was only just one thought,
Ever striving, but never fulfilling.

Before you, there was only just one heart,
Ever searching, but never finding.
Before you, my life was empty always searching.
Ever seeking for your love, but always missing
But now, I found you, my missing piece
No longer seeking, but hoping to be by your side,
Always.

            Once Dongwoo finished he held out a rose, “Claire, will you be my girlfriend?” Stunned, I put all the pieces together; my secret crush was none other than the infamous Dongwoo Jang.