Coming to terms

Heartbeat

 

Chapter 4

Coming to terms

            When I got downstairs dinner was all ready and dad was home already sitting down. Once we finished I helped with the dishes. Mom asked me the average questions; like how my day went? Did I have any homework? Simple questions, but something was up. Mom seemed overly happy, even dad did too. Stopping my work I looked them in the eyes, giving each of them a suspicious look. Knowing mom would never break I went towards dad. Once I turned to him he started talking. 

 “No peeking.” Mom said taking something out from behind her back, she handed me a small box. NO WAY! It was the members section 2pm CD. They only sold 20,000 copies and I have one.

“Thank you!” I screamed. I listened to it all night while I completed the first 2 paragraphs for my business paper.

            Excited for the new day I got up extra early for school. I couldn’t wait to show my friends the new 2pm CD my parents bought me; even though I knew they weren’t into the same music as me, much less a music from another country. However I was too excited to care. When I got to school and I looked eagerly for Brie; finding Charlie would be really hard since I’m pretty short to. Spotting the model tall girl I pushed my way through the crowd and jumped on her.

“This could only be one person. Claire, how are you?” she said holding me up.

“Guess what I got!” I shouted in her ear.

“Hum based on your over excited voice it could me one of two options.” She lifted one finger, “One is that you got yourself a boyfriend. Or the second option is that you got one of your weird k-pop CDs. Is one of the options right?” she said bending down to let me get off her back. Getting off her back I looked within my bag and grabbed the CD.

“You were right about the CD but really a boyfriend? Really?” I said exasperated.

“Hey it’s possible.” Brie argued back. “Now let’s see this CD.” She took the CD out of my hands. “Okay he’s not too bad,” she said pointing to one of the members, “but don’t let Charles see this. She might steal it. You remember what happened last time?” Last time I showed her a CD she took and drew every picture in the booklet, bending some of the pages in the process

 “Don’t let me see what?” Charlie asked. Ring! Saved by the bell.

“Bye.” I ran off to class. Since Dongwoo wasn’t there it was a wonderful class, but I started to notice none of his friends were at school. Something is up; but it could just be that Dongwoo and Hoya aren’t screaming; sorry talking to each other from across the room. Maybe they just skipped, it is Monday after all. Wait what why do I care about Dongwoo and his best friend?

            It’s been five days since Dongwoo has come to school – I thought in my head as I took my seat. “Did you hear Dongwoo and Hoya had a fight with Caleb and Jake,” Whispered Amanda.

“Yeah I heard that Dongwoo got beat up.” Amy answered. “Do you know about what though?” Amanda asked. “Yeah” They turned towards me, glaring. Why are they looking at me?

            Rumors had spread throughout the whole school by the time I entered Data. The weirdest thing about it was that everyone kept staring at me; until Brie threatened to shove a shoe down their throat if they didn’t stop staring. At the end of the period, right before I was planning to go home Mr. Clarkson came up to me. He asked if I was able to go over to Dongwoo’s house to drop off his math work and help him to catch up. Being too shy to say no to a teacher I took the work and headed off.

            Here I am, in front of Dongwoo’s house. Nervously walking up to his door, I knocked timidly. I waited by the door twiddling my thumbs hoping someone would open it. Someone did, but it wasn’t who I would have thought. It was Hoya. The man is like a giant compared to my size.

“What do you want?” Hoya asked looking amused at my nervous expression. Stuttering I began to speak,

“Um, well y… you see I have Dongwoo’s homework an… and I was told to help catch up.”

Grinning Hoya greeted me, “He’s just down the hall.” He said leaning against the wall. Nodding my head in thanks I made my way over, I knocked on the door.

“Yeah Em just come in.” Dongwoo spoke through the door.

            When I entered the room I was shocked to say the least. Dongwoo’s left eye was a dark purple colour while a large black-ish blue bruise covered most of his right forearm. “Yeah nerd why are you here?” he asked giving me a strange look. I extended my arms showing him his work he must complete, “It’s your work and I’m here to tutor you again.” Getting off the bed he took his work and went over to his table. BAM! And down went the work onto the piles of stuff that littered his desk. Dongwoo looked back at me, “Well what are you doing just standing here,” he gestured to my spot, “I thought you were here to help me.” Breaking out of my trance I made my way over to him and began to work.

            It was about 7 pm when Hoya came to check up on us. Dongwoo had actually got quite a lot done. Making my leave I picked up my stuff. “Hey wait a minute okay?” Dongwoo asked coming towards me, “Can we keep this a secret?” pointing towards his eye, “And I’m sorry for being a jerk to you last time. Just don’t tell anyone I said that.”

Slightly surprised, I kept my face emotionless and turned towards him, “Thank you, and don’t worry about anyone finding out, they would never listen or believe me anyways.” I whispered the last part. “However we will continue to study every Tuesday. And you BETTER be on time.” I spoke with authority in my voice, “Oh and if you’re not back by tomorrow I will come back here.”

I don’t want you to fall behind, I finished in my head.