Lies

We're just meant to be

The next day in school, Hara and Hyomin waited outside the toilet, hiding behind the wall, preparing to put their plan into action. When they saw IU going inside the toilet cubicle, they quickly made their way inside the toilet as well, acting as natural as they could.

'Actually, I didn't want to come to school today. I feel sick,' Hara started, making small talk with Hyomin.

'Are you feeling better now?' Hyomin asked, she was an ally of Hara's, her best friend, and her messenger.

Hearing Hara and Hyomin's voices in the toilet, IU squirmed. She stayed in the small toilet cubicle, not daring to come out. She did not want to bump into Hara and Hyomin anytime now and she didn't have the courage to talk or even look at Hara, especially when she was with Taeyang now.

'I'll feel better if I don't see those two love birds in school today,' Hara piped, making sure her voice was loud enough for IU to hear. 'Just the sight of them makes me sick.'

'You mean IU is really with Taeyang?' Hyomin asked, keeping up the conversation. 'She's so naive, how can she not know about Taeyang's and GD's plan?'

'She's not naive, she's plain stupid,' Hara continued, 'I even warned her so many times, but she didn't heed any of my advice.'

'Well, she's going to find out sooner or later,' Hyomin said with a sigh. 'I just wonder how long Taeyang could keep this game going.'

'What are both of you talking about?' IU burst out from the toilet cubicle, with her fringe clinging onto her damp forehead. She overheard Hyomin and Hara's conversation and was utterly confused. Actually, she was feeling more fearful than confused, it felt as if what she was most worried about, was actually coming true.

That Taeyang was only playing with her.

'Oh, look who we have here!' Hara quipped brightly, her face beaming. She was delighted that everything was going according to plan and in a matter of moments, she'll be able to hurt the two people she disliked the most.

'Tell me what you two were talking about just now,' IU demanded anxiously, 'It seems like both of you know something that I don't.'

'What if you and Taeyang's relationship suffer because of this? Are the both of you going to blame me again? I don't want that,' Hara said with a snort, 'But if you really do want to know, then find out by yourself.' ing IU a voice recorder after she had finished her piece.

'But remember, curiosity kills the cat,' Hara spat, as she shot IU a distasteful grin and left the toilet with Hyomin in tow.

'What did Hara mean when she said the truth would affect me and Taeyang's relationship? What exactly are they talking about?' IU thought angrily as she eyeballed the voice recorder Hara had just flung her.

Mindlessly, she pressed the 'play' button.

She just wished she never had.

 

'Want me to company you home today?' Taeyang asked IU sweetly when the class was dismissed. 'Are you feeling okay? You barely spoke a word to me today.' He's voice dimmed a little when he noticed that IU was ignoring him.

'It's okay, I'll go home by myself,' IU replied in a monotonous voice.

'Why are you acting like that?' Taeyang asked, furrowing his brows in concern. 'Did I do something wrong?'

'Nothing, I'm just feeling very tired today. There are so many things that I don't understand, and I'll really need some space of my own to clear my head.' IU replied, still not looking Taeyang in the eye.

'Do you want to tell me about those thoughts then?' Taeyang asked, edging himself nearer IU, 'You can share some of your problems with me.'

IU tried hard to hold back the tears that were b in her eyes. How could Taeyang act so nonchalant after all the things that he had done behind her back? Did he have no sense of guilt at all? How long was he going to keep up this act?

'Let's stop seeing each other,' IU said firmly. 'I know all about your plans already.'

'What are you talking about? What do you mean we should stop seeing each other? What did I do wrong? Why are you suddenly initiating a break up with me?' Taeyang asked worriedly, everything seemed to be revolving around him, turning and turning.

'Then let me ask you a few questions first,' IU prompted, 'Do you think I am pretty?'

'Are you initiating a break up because you feel inferior compared to me?' Taeyang asked, relaxing his shoulders slightly. If it was because of these minor issues that were causing IU to feel insecure, then he could solve it in no time. 'You are not only pretty, you are the most beautiful girl in my eyes. That's for you to know.'

IU bit her lip bitterly, no way was she going to fall for Taeyang's sweet nothings again. 'Beautiful? If I remember correctly, that wasn't exactly what you thought of me. Should I refresh your memory? I think what you said was that I was ugly but adorable.'

Taeyang stood rooted to the ground in shock, those words sounded too painfully familiar. He shook his head in denial, 'What are you talking about? I don't understand.'

'You don't understand? Then what about the bet? Is GD going to go to your house to help you do the chores for a month, treat you to a blockbuster movie and a dinner at a high-class restaurant?' IU asked angrily, furious that Taeyang was still feigning innocence.

'You know about the bet?' Taeyang asked dazed. 'How did you find out?'

IU hurled the voice recorder at Taeyang, who managed to catch it in time.

'That's the answer.' IU answered listlessly.

Taeyang played the voice recorder, and found out that his and GD's conversation on the first day of school had been recorded. Everything he and GD talked about began blaring out, every single little detail, and the part where he and GD were discussing about the bet wasn't missed out.

'Listen, I can explain,' Taeyang pleaded as the recording finished. 'This isn't what it seems like-'

'It doesn't matter,' IU said, as if the matter didn't bother her at all, when in fact she was crying inside. 'I don't want to know the reason, I don't want to know the explanation and I just don't want to know anything at all.'

Taeyang grabbed IU's arm when she turned her back to leave, clinging on to whatever that was left to hold on to.

'Please don't leave just like that. Just listen to me explain okay? You can choose whether you want to forgive me or stay mad at me afterwards,' Taeyang pleaded once again. 'If you look me in the eyes, you'll know that I'm genuine about you. So please don't leave me hanging onto a thread just like that.'

IU turned around in an instant, facing Taeyang bravely. His words stung so badly that she could burst into tears any minute now. She gathered all her courage to meet Taeyang's eyes.

'What do you mean that you're genuine about me? I can't see it in your eyes at all,' IU said expressionless. 'Stop this silly game already, it's wearing both of us out. Just remember me as a piece of your game.' Those words were what she wanted to tell Taeyang, and hopefully those would be the last, because she never ever wanted to see him again.

Taeyang wanted to grab IU again as she turned around and made her way to the exit. But it felt that her words had left him paralysed. Watching her silhouette moved further and further, his heart sank deeper and deeper.

A single tear rolled down his cheek as the thought that he had lost her occurred to him.

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

Hello guys!! ^^ First, I'm so happy that my fanfic had reached 1000++ views!! Hehe, even though I know a lot of fanfics have over thousands of views, but really I'm soooo super happy~ ;D Thank you for viewing, commenting and subscribing once again! ^^ So how do you all find this chapter? A little depressing ain't it? I do hope some of you cried while reading this chapter. x) Stay tuned for more~~ ^^