The Truth

We're just meant to be

'I don't know how to start actually,' Taeyang stammered, he regretted bringing up the topic and wasn't keen on continuing. However, seeing the intense expression on IU's face, he knew that there was no backing out now.

'I dated Hara before,' Taeyang said anxiously in one breathe, trying his hardest to avoid any eye contact with IU.

'You and Hara were a couple before?' IU asked in shock. She knew that Hara was one of the popular girls in the campus, and since Taeyang was a playboy, there should be no surprise to know that Hara had dated Taeyang before, so why was she still so shocked?

'It's not what you think,' Taeyang explained quickly, 'Hara was one of the popular girls and I was one of the popular guys, so naturally we got teased about having crushes for each other. I knew Hara had a crush on me ever since the first day of school, but I never could return her the same feelings. Even though I have dated a lot of girls before, I could not accept how she was always using the people around her to achieve greater heights, and finally having the status that she has today. One day, she finally mustered up her courage and confessed her feelings to me. I gave her my blunt and firm rejection, without even thinking of the consequences. Then the threats came. She cut her wrists and cried every single night, threatening me that if I were not to accept her, she would commit suicide. When none of that wavered my decision, she attacked me where I hurt the most. Ji Yong had been my best friend, my best brother ever since we were in Kindergarten. She started to send him hate mail and one day ordered a bunch of gangsters to beat him into a pulp. Seeing my poor friend suffer like that, when it wasn't his fault, made me shrivel inside. Wanting to protect my loved ones from suffering any more hurt because of my selfish actions, I agreed to be her boyfriend.'

'So Hara had depression? Is she okay now?' IU asked in concern. Even though she hated Hara, she could not help but worry, Hara was a fellow classmate after all.

'Yes, she's okay now. She takes her medication and goes for counselling sessions regularly.' Taeyang replied calmly.

'That's a relief,' IU said as she sighed, 'But I thought you said you broke up with her? How could she have coped with that?'

'We dated for one month, we just couldn't last long. She kept asking me to make endless acts and declarations of love to show her that I was genuine about our relationship. Fearing that she might hurt my loved ones if I did not follow her pleas, I went ahead and did all I could to please her. But nothing was enough. One day, she dragged my little sister to the pool and jumped inside to join her afterwards. To my shock, she could not swim and so did my sister. I still remember vividly, how she shouted at the top of her lungs, asking who I would save first if they were both drowning. That was when I realised that I needed to seek help.' Taeyang explained in detail, 'Look's like I ended up telling you more then you should know. It feels as if the heavy weight on my shoulders have been lifted. It feels good to have someone to talk to.'

'Of course, I'm a good listener, don't you know?' IU teased, trying to lighten up the solemn mood.

'But Hara hasn't fully recovered yet though,' Taeyang replied in a serious tone, 'The doctor said that her condition might take a turn for the worse if she feels threatened or insecure. That's why everyone is being so nice to her, even when her attitude doesn't deserve it.'

'After hearing this, I feel sorry for her even though she is so mean to me all the time.' IU said softly.

'So she was the one who was carrying out all those nasty pranks on you right?' Taeyang said with a laugh, catching IU spill out the truth accidentally. 'But do you know why she always picks on you?'

'How would I know?' IU replied defensively, 'Maybe it's because I am a nerd, am ugly and always trying so hard to fit in?'

'No,' Taeyang replied her, 'It's because she knows I like you.'