She's Leaving

We're just meant to be

IU had no idea how she managed to walk away with so much gusto when her silent tears started flowing the moment she turned around. If only Taeyang were to stop her now, then he'll realise that the stoic image IU was putting up just now in front of him was all an act, that actually she was just trying to cover up all the hurt and protect her pride. But he didn't stop her, he didn't hold her back and he didn't even call out her name.

She knew that she was silly to hope that Taeyang would stop her from leaving. So why was she still wishing that he would?

She wanted him to run up to her, to tell her that he was sorry, to say that everything was a misunderstanding, and to hug her and hold her in his arms, whispering to her that everything would be all right.

But he didn't.

 

Standing at her front door now, she didn't even remember the bus journey home. She just remembered how she kept crying and crying, until her eyes became puffy and sore, but still she did not feel any better.

She bravely wiped away her tears and tidied her unkempt self, preparing to enter her house. The sight that greeted her was peculiar, and she wondered whether there was an end to the surprises which were in stored for her.

'Appa?' IU asked surprised, 'Why are you at home at this time? What about work? Omma said you were going to be really busy these days, so how did you find the time to come home this early?'

'My Ji-Eun, come sit here with Appa,' Her father said with a deep voice, patting the seat beside him. 'Appa has some things to tell you, and I think it is better if I told you face-to-face.'

IU's stomach churned, whatever her father was going to say was not good news. He was a successful businessman, never having time for his family because he would rather spend that time to close as many deals as possible. So what was the important matter that made his father miss work, just to talk to her personally?

'One of my close friends called last night, telling me about a very good business opportunity they have for me in Canada,' IU's father started, trying to use a gentle tone, 'I was also thinking about enrolling you to one of the good schools there because I heard their education system is way better than the one we have in Korea. So basically, our whole family would migrate to Canada. What do you think?'

IU couldn't believe the words that were coming out from her father's mouth. Canada? Changing schools? Migrate?

Seeing IU's hesitant face, her father placed her small hands in his and said, 'I know that I have not been fulfilling the role as a father recently, but everything would change for the better once we are in Canada. The job they have for me there is more flexible and the money is good as well, that means I'll have more time for you and your Omma without having any financial difficulties. I have already asked your Omma about this issue, and she said that she'll agree on whatever you decide. So if you want to stay in Korea, then she'll stay, and I'll fly to Canada myself and probably not be able to come back for at least a year. However, if you want to go, then the three of us would go to Canada and start life afresh. Come on, which one sounds better?'

Suddenly, IU's mother joined their conversation, 'I told you IU wouldn't want to go, don't force her already. She wouldn't want to leave her dear friends here. I've met one of her pals, and he's so nice.'

'He?' IU's father asked with a slight grunt.

'Omma doesn't really know me very well,' IU quickly stepped in to explain. 'Actually, I don't have any friends here because I just don't fit in.'

'It's all right that you don't have any friends now, you'll make tones of friends when you go to Canada! The people there are really friendly and cheerful, you'll love it!' Her father exclaimed joyfully, grabbing at any chance to advertise how good life would be in Canada.

IU shifted her gaze from her mother to her father and back. Her heart racing and her mind running. She didn't know what she wanted and she didn't want to disappoint anyone anymore.

'If I stay in Korea, I'll remain as the outcast forever. Hara would most certainly spread Taeyang's and GD's plan to everybody, telling everybody how stupid and naive I was to fall for their ploy. Also, everything I shared with Taeyang was just an illusion, all along the feelings were only one sided. It's funny how the person I trusted the most, came to be my worst hated enemy. I don't even want to think how I'm supposed to react when I see him in school next time. And I could avoid all this by going to Canada and start life anew,' IU thought silently, the idea was sure tempting.

'Okay, I'll go,' IU said with a broad smile, 'But when are we leaving?'

'I knew you'll make the right choice!' IU's father's previously tensed shoulders relaxed, and he beamed proudly at his daughter. 'I'll need to leave tonight for a short business trip and it would be more convenient if you and your Omma fly to Canada tomorrow. Then, I'll meet you guys on Sunday when I come back. I know this is quite sudden, but I really would like to get things done fast so that we would be able to settle down there faster.'

'Sounds great!' IU said and made a thumbs-up sign. When in fact, she didn't think that it was going to be so great after all.

 

'You really want to migrate to Canada?' IU's mother asked in concern when her husband left. 'You can't deceive me, I know that going to Canada isn't really what you want.'

'What I want doesn't matter anymore,' IU said lethargically. 'It seems that the things I want, always turn out to be a disappointment. And I'm sick and tired of getting cheated time and again.'

'Did something happen in school again?' IU's mother asked as she sat beside her daughter, signalling to her daughter that if she needed a listening ear, she was there. 'Did you and that friend of yours fight?'

'You mean Taeyang?' IU accidentally blurted out Taeyang's name.

'Oh, so that charming person I met that day is called Taeyang,' IU's mother joked. 'Isn't that your friend? Even though I suspect there's more than that...'

'Omma! What are you talking about?' IU shouted in fury, she didn't want to be reminded of Taeyang, and how she was tricked by him so effortlessly. 'He's not my friend, and he'll never be.'

'Did something bad happened? Maybe Omma can help-' IU's mother suggested but was cut off bluntly by IU.

'It's okay Omma, I'll solve my problems on my own, please don't worry about me,' IU said slowly. 'I would really like to go to Canada and spend more time together with Appa, it's time that we act as a real family.'

IU's mother sighed, it felt as if the conversation was going nowhere, and her daughter's mind was already made up. 'Okay, if that's what you really want, then I'll support you. Just remember that you shouldn't be running away from your problems, but you should face them bravely, even though you might get hurt when doing so.'

'But don't you know that it hurts even when I'm running away from it?' IU mumbled softly as her mother walked away. 'Why can't I stop thinking about him? He's just haunting me every moment, with that smirk on his face, telling me that I was a fool to fall for him, and a greater fool to think that he had fallen for me as well.'

 

'Hello? Is this Taeyang on the line?' IU's mother asked as the line finally went through. She had been rummaging through her daughter's contacts till she finally stumbled across Taeyang's number. 

'Yes, and may I know who are you?' A solemn voice greeted her.

'I'm IU's mother,' She started introducing herself apologetically. 'I'm sorry to be disturbing you in the middle of the night, but this matter is urgent.'

'IU's mother?' Taeyang's voice perked up noticeably, 'No worries Madam, I had trouble sleeping anyway. What's the matter? Did something happen to IU?' He asked worriedly, not even bothering to ask how she got his number.

'I called because I didn't know what was the problem with her,' IU's mother started, 'Then I guessed that it probably had something to do with you. Did you guys fight?'

'Is she acting not like her normal self?' Taeyang asked anxiously, 'We did kind of have an argument.'

'She fell asleep just now, but then I guess she had a nightmare,' IU's mother explained bit by bit, 'She kept calling out your name in her sleep and couldn't stop crying. When I woke her up, she'll return to sleep again and have the same recurring dream. I don't know what's happening, and I'm beginning to get very worried.'

Taeyang's heart ached and his lip quivered, 'W-what can I do to help? What can I do that will help her feel better? I don't want to see her suffering like that.'

'It's okay, at least now I know that she's acting like that because you two got into a fight,' IU's mother replied, 'I'll stay by her side for the night, and comfort her when the nightmares strike again, so don't worry. There's something more important which I have to tell you.'

'What is it?' Taeyang asked worriedly.

'Our whole family is going to migrate to Canada soon. In fact, we'll be leaving tomorrow. It's sort of a last minute decision, and it's because of IU's father getting a job opportunity there, that's why we are moving.' IU's mother delivered the piece of bad news.

'Moving to Canada? Tomorrow?' Taeyang asked in total shock, he knew he had lost IU, but he never knew that he may never be able to see her again.

'Yes,' IU's mother answered, 'IU agreed on the idea to move, and being her mother, I know that that isn't what she really wants. It's probably because of the supposed fight she had with you that let her arrive to this decision. Nothing I said could change her mind.'

Taeyang couldn't answer anymore. Everything was happening too fast. And he had absolutely no control of any of it.

'Hello? Hello? Are you still on the line?' IU's mother queried when Taeyang didn't answer, 'Oh, IU's crying again, I need to go tend to her. I'll hang up now.'

'Wait-' Taeyang shouted suddenly when he snapped out of his trance but she had already hung up.

He buried his head in his hands, a signal of defeat. He had never expected this to happen. He knew that IU would be hurt when she learnt about the bet but he didn't know that IU would be so wounded by his silly actions and words. He didn't plan to fall for IU for real, but how could he possibly control his feelings? Now when he really did like IU, she found out about the bet, got hurt, and she's going to leave him.

She's going to leave him and never come back.

 

 

 

 

Author's Note:

HELLO EVERYBODY! ^^ Hope you guys like this chapter, and do tell me what you all think! I cried while writing this, hehe, just kidding!! :b Anyway, nobody said they cried while reading the previous chapter. Oh man... Okay, I'll probably update again on Saturday! Please look forward to it!! :D