The Makeover

We're just meant to be

'Darling! How was school today?' IU's mother greeted IU cheerfully as she saw her daughter coming into the house.

IU wanted to tell her mother how horrible it was at school that day, especially with Hara, but she managed a bright smile and exclaimed in a cheery tone, 'It was lovely! I even made two new friends!' Thinking about it, IU suddenly thought of how Taeyang and GD were so kind to her and how they made an effort to make her feel welcome that day. 'Omma, could you help me with something?' IU started but as she looked up, she saw that her mother wasn't listening and was looking at her from tip to toe. 'Omma, what's wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?' IU asked.

IU's mother quickly shook her head but said in a small voice, 'Did you actually wear this outfit to school today?'

IU's shoulders dropped instantly, 'Actually I had a really tough and long day at school today so you might want to give me a break. I never had expected for my own mother to criticise me. What? You don't like my style? Yeah, so what if I am ugly and I dress weird? What right do you have that you can look down on me like that, are you pitying me? Or are you feeling embarrassed because I'm your daughter?' she screamed at her mother in a fit of anger and marched into her room.

As she slammed the door, she broke into tears. She didn't know why she was feeling so upset over the matter. She was sure her mother wasn't looking down on her because of her looks or her dressing, but after all she had been through that day, her mother's words triggered the frustration that she was penting up inside of her for the whole day. As she sat on her bed weeping, her mother cautiously opened the door.

'Omma,' IU called out as she saw her mother coming in, 'I'm sorry that I yelled at you just now. I wasn't angry with you, it wasn't your fault. I'm just in a lousy mood that's all.' she apologised in between sobs.

Her mother cuddled her and her hair, 'I know you didn't mean it, don't worry, I didn't take any of your harsh words into heart.' IU's mother whispered to her lovingly, 'I guess it wasn't such a lovely day at school after all huh?'

IU hugged her mother back, she never kept secrets with her mother. Not that she didn't want to, but her mother knew her too well and was able to read her like an open book.

'Yeah, there's this really horrible girl in my class, and the others are just silently mocking me,' IU confessed to her mother in a shaky voice, 'Omma, what should I do so that they would leave me alone?'

IU's mother grabbed her by the shoulders and forced IU to look into her eyes, 'Darling, don't ever let anyone, anyone at all, call you ugly. You are beautiful, inside and out, and I am not saying this because you are my daughter, I am saying this because it is truly the truth and I just wanted you to know that you are indeed the most beautiful person in my eyes.' IU's mother said and unknowingly a tear trickled down her cheek. She was angry that IU's schoolmates were making her daughter's life in school difficult and she was set to change it.

Suddenly, IU's mother had an idea, 'I know! I'm going to take you for a makeover!' She said with a sparkle in her eyes as she pulled IU's hand lovingly.

IU was surprised, 'Makeover? What makeover? I have never even been to a facial before,' IU started protesting.

However, her mother's mind was already made up, 'You never had this problem in Daegu before since there was a standard school uniform, but now you are left alone to decide on what clothes to wear to school, I know you are absolutely clueless!' IU's mother daughter, 'Your studies may be better than me, but I know more about fashion then you!'

IU couldn't stop herself from smiling a little, she wasn't keen on the idea, but she was really touched by her mother's efforts in making her feel better. Suddenly, IU thought of an idea as well.

'Omma, we have to make a deal alright? If I go to the makeover, then you have to help me prepare two delicious packed lunches  for tomorrow!' IU told her mother enthusiastically. She hadn't forgotten the promise she made to Taeyang and GD about treating them to her mother's packed lunches tomorrow. 

'That's easy! I'll prepare my speciality Bibimbap then! Now you have to come with me!' IU's mother said as she dragged IU out of the house teasingly.

'Hopefully it goes well. I don't expect people to notice me because I have become prettier, I just want them to see me as someone ordinary, and stop bothering me, that's all.' IU silently thought, but deep inside, she knew she was expecting something more, and that was for Taeyang to notice her, in a good way.