The Wake Up Call

We're just meant to be

IU played with her pen mindlessly. She looked at the time on her watch and sighed, and began tapping the pen on her desk impatiently.

Jung-Nam college wasn't quite what she had expected, the students were rowdy and noisy, and the teachers were always late for their lessons. To sum it all up, Jung-Nam college wasn't a conducive environment for studying like IU had hoped for. It wasn't just this disappointment that was contributing to IU's bad mood. In fact, she was also feeling terribly lonely here in Seoul. She didn't have a single person she knew and she wasn't on her way in making new friends any time now. She noticed the ugly stares people were giving her, and she hated it.

IU took out a storybook from her backpack, 'It doesn't seem that the teacher is going to come any time soon, I might as well not waste time.' She thought. While in actual fact, she was just pretending to be engaged in something so that the people around her won't pity her because she was the only one in the class who was sitting alone.

 

Suddenly, Taeyang slumped down on the seat next to her. IU immediately looked up and shot him a puzzled look.

 

Before IU could speak, Taeyang started, ' Hi new girl, I'm Taeyang. You were the one whom I bumped into this morning right?'

 

IU blushed, she was hoping this cute guy she was talking to would have forgotten her embarrassing situation earlier that day, but it seemed unlikely. 'Hello, I'm Lee Ji Eun, but you can call me IU if you want, it's like my nickname, and it's easier to pronounce as well, only two syllabus you see. But if you find it confusing, you can call me Ji Eun, it's okay, I don't mind.' IU rattled on about rubbish, trying hard not to trip over her words.

 

Taeyang smiled, he liked seeing her getting so nervous around him, even if he was unsure of the reason, but it made him glad. 'Yeah, so I'll call you IU okay?' He winked and continued, 'I know you are new here, so maybe you would want someone to bring you around the school during lunch? I could do that you know...' 

'Erm, I'll think about t-that. Thank you for m-making that offer.' IU stuttered helplessly and flashed a smile before looking away hurriedly.

 

Taeyang stared at IU for a little while longer, the smile she made to him just now was sweet and sincere that it melted his heart. He wished to see it again, but immediately pushed the thought out of his head, 'Don't get too engrossed in the game, stay focused, and quickly get this done.' He thought to himself as he left the seat and went back to join GD.

 

'She rejected me,' Taeyang sighed half jokingly as he reached his seat.

 

'What? No kidding? What did she say?' GD asked, interested that a girl would reject Taeyang.

 

'She said "I'll think about it"', Taeyang continued, putting a fake girly voice, 'Which in actual fact I know she means "I don't want to, but it would be rude to reject you like this, so I'll say I'll think about it to avoid answering properly." Damn it.'

 

GD laughed suddenly, 'Why are you getting so worked up Young Bae? It's fun to see you like this.' GD continued with a smile, 'I'll help you a little okay? Anyway, I don't want you to lose the bet entirely.'

 

'Fine, I'm not going to lose the bet anyway. I have 6 more days you know?' Taeyang put on a fake smile and slumped further into his seat.

 

Just then, IU suddenly felt someone jerking her chair violently from behind, 'Hey you in front! New girl!' Hara hissed angrily at her.

 

IU turned around and looked surprised, 'Why are you jerking my chair and calling me like that?' IU asked, clearly irritated.

 

'Hey, don't talk to me like that okay? Do you even know who I am? I'm Goo Hara, the most popular girl in our school you know?' Hara answered angrily, 'Just tell me what Taeyang said to you just now.'

 

IU felt lightheaded, 'Taeyang? Right, he talked to me just now. But I was just so surprised that he even spoke a word to me that I didn't really pay attention to what he was saying. How can anyone look so good?' IU daydreamed and was immediately interrupted by Hara's shouting.

 

'Hey! Why aren't you answering? Who do you think you are? So what if Taeyang spoke to you? It doesn't mean you can have this stuck-up attitude!' Hara hollered at her in frustration. She forced herself to calm down a little as she noticed her increasing volume. 'Perhaps you're the new girl so you don't really get things here. Taeyang is the most popular guy in school and every girl wants to have a chance with him, but he's a total player. I even heard that he had broken up with 6 girls during the summer break.' Hara said with a smirk, she knew this would irritate IU. 'But don't worry, I don't think he's so desperate that he wants to hang out with you, I mean, just look at yourself.' Hara finished with a laugh.

 

IU winced, she didn't know Taeyang was such a player.

 

To make matters worse, Hara added, 'Just looked at how she dresses! Seriously, who pairs neon green sneakers with a sweater and skirt? And she even tucked in her grandmother's sweater into her ugly skirt to boot. Come on, this is the 21st century, and some people still tie braids? Haha! But the most hilarious part was that she thought she had a chance with Taeyang!' she told her friend before both of them broke into uncontrollable laughter, loud enough for IU to hear.

 

IU looked down, trying hard to blink away the angry tears. She had not told a single person that she found Taeyang cute, and maybe she did fancy him a little, but how did Hara know? She brushed away the tears which had trickled down her cheeks and muttered to herself, 'Of course I didn't have a chance, what the hell was I thinking? No one would be interested in a girl like me anyway.' And with that, IU promised to herself that she would not think of anything else except her studies from then on, and no one would get a chance to hurt her because she would be avoiding everyone now.

 

Little did Taeyang know that his plan wasn't going to work because things were not going to be as easy as he had expected.