A Hint Of Your Smile

We're just meant to be

 

During lunch, IU sat quietly at her desk while her classmates hurried out to the canteen to grab their lunch. As she saw all the students rushing out the door, she spotted Taeyang and GD making their way out too.

'He probably has forgotten that he had offered to bring me around the school during lunch.' IU mumbled and sighed to herself, she reached for her lunchbox from her bag, and felt a piece of paper stuck onto it.

'Ji Eun darling, hope you are having a great day at school now! I have prepared your favourite spicy rice cakes for you, so eat well and study hard okay? Fighting! Love, omma.' The note read.

IU smiled, at difficult times like this, at least she had her mother to cheer her up. She opened her lunch box and almost instantly brightened up at the sight of the spicy rice cakes. As she was beginning to tuck into her food, she was interrupted again by Hara and her friends.

'Darn it, who is the person who brought food into the class? The whole classroom stinks now!' Hara pinched her nose as she said it, with her friends nodding in agreement.

'Oh, so it is the little new girl who is creating this stench huh?' Hara said as she made her way to IU's table. 'What is that you are eating new girl? Is it even edible? It looks truly disgusting, and it doesn't smell any better too.' 

'Stop calling me new girl, my name is IU,' IU said as she put down her chopsticks angrily and glared at Hara, 'Don't you know how to read the time? It's still lunch, and I have every right to eat in the classroom. Don't judge my food so simply, you aren't the one who is eating it anyway. Oh wait, do you even eat? You're so skinny like a bamboo, maybe you're anorexic.' IU mocked, it wasn't her usual self to bicker with others but she couldn't stand Hara any longer, especially when Hara mocked the food her mother made.

Hara was furious, no one ever dared to talk back to her in this kind of tone before. In a moment of anger she toppled IU's lunchbox and sent all the spicy rice cakes flying.

IU was shocked and furious, but did not speak.

Hara immediately feigned innocence, 'Why are you so clumsy new girl? Look, you even toppled your own lunchbox. Have fun cleaning up,' Hara spat at her as she left the classroom with her friends.

IU was left all alone in the classroom with her spilled lunchbox on the floor. She sat on the floor defeated and no longer made an effort to stop her tears from flowing. She gingerly began to pick up the pieces of spicy rice cakes in between sobs, and placed them back into the lunchbox.

Just then, Taeyang came back into the classroom because he had forgotten to take his wallet with him. He was shocked to see the mess on the floor and immediately went to help IU clear it up.

'Did you do this? You clumsy girl,' Taeyang said cheekily as he helped IU clean up the mess.

IU remained silent, she was embarrassed that Taeyang was seeing her in this state, and he would not believe that Hara was the one who did it even if she told him. She brushed away her tears quickly, hoping that Taeyang would not notice that she had been crying.

Taeyang noticed IU's tear stained face, but did not mention it. He wasn't sure what happened, and he thought that it would be better if he did not asked as well, perhaps IU would be more comfortable with him if he pretended not to know anything. Taeyang continued picking up the rice cakes and soon the mess was cleared up.

'I know that was probably your lunch, so your stomach must still be hungry because it seems that the floor ate your lunch before you could!' Taeyang joked at an attempt to make the atmosphere lighter and continued, 'Well, I came back to the classroom to get my wallet and Ji Yong is still waiting for me in the canteen to join him for lunch, so why not you come join us?'

Before IU could reply, he grabbed her wrist and marched her out of the classroom.

IU smiled slightly, she noticed how Taeyang was grabbing her wrist so gently but still firm at the same time. She was indeed hungry as she only had a toast for breakfast and all the stuff that had happened just now had worn her out. She knew she wouldn't be brave enough to accept Taeyang's offer but she knew she wouldn't want to reject it either, so she was pleased that Taeyang had decided for her, and insisted they eat together.

'Ji Yong!' Taeyang shouted as he tackled GD from behind playfully, 'Look who I have brought to join us for lunch today! It's IU!' Taeyang introduced her to GD enthusiastically, trying to make the situation less awkward.

'Oh hi IU,' GD said with a smile and waved slightly, he noticed IU's sore eyes too and wondered what happened in the classroom just now. 'Did you get your wallet Young Bae?' GD asked Taeyang when he saw Taeyang empty handed.

'Oh no! I forgot to take it! Silly me!' Taeyang laughed and knocked his head on the wall.

IU laughed at his silliness, she felt happy around Taeyang because it seemed like he was always infecting everyone with his energy. 'No wonder so many girls like him, ' IU silently thought, 'And perhaps I am just one out of the many, nothing special.'

'I think you did it purposely. You want me to treat you guys to lunch right?' GD said cheekily as he fished out his wallet, 'Anyway, since it is IU's first day of school, I'll give her a special treat.'

IU smiled politely and thanked GD, 'I'll ask my mother to prepare some packed lunch for you two tomorrow! My mum is a very good cook!' IU said, she was proud of her mother, and she really wanted to thank Taeyang and GD for cheering her up.

'That sounds good!' Taeyang said, pretending to drool, but was cut off by GD who immediately explained, 'I said I was going to give IU a treat, not you. I'll just pay for you now, you'll return me the money later.'

As all three of them burst out laughing like good friends, Taeyang couldn't help but feel relieved that IU was feeling better, he was still worried about what had happened in the classroom previously, and the fact that he didn't have a clue, or the right to ask IU, was even more frustrating.

Taeyang sighed, 'How am I going to get close to her and gain her trust?' Taeyang thought as he silently looked at IU, trying to find the answer