Hide-and-Seek

Sweet, Sweet Revenge

You puffed out your cheeks and fidgeted from foot to foot as you waited outside the gate to your house.  You checked your watch once more and sighed. If you waited any longer, you’d be late for school and you did not want Ms. Kim going off on you again.

You twiddled your fingers around the cute couple keychain hanging from your bag, half of a heart with a cute girl teddy bear on it. Your thoughts began to drift off to the person who owned the other half that had a matching male teddy bear on it, when you heard a sound from behind you.

“Boo.”

“YAHH!” With a shriek, you whirled around, your eyes wide. Jongup took one look at your expression and burst out laughing, his signature smile growing even wider than usual.

“Yah, that’s not funny!” You whined and thwacked his arm. He just continued laughing at how much he surprised you. “Hmph, and to think I skipped breakfast so I could have time to walk with you to school!” You huffed and stormed off cutely. Jongup stopped laughing and ran to catch up with your quick strides.

“I know, that’s why I brought you this~!” He sang as he handed you a cute pink paper bag, which you opened to find your favorite muffins.

“Thanks, Jonguppie!” You beamed and threw your arms around him.

Jongup felt his ears turn red, but before he could lift his arms to hug you back, he felt you freeze. He froze, too, puzzled by your sudden rigidness.

Over his shoulder, your eyes widened as you thought you saw a familiar figure walking your way. You promptly let go of Jongup before roughly shoving him into a bush and proceeding to lean against a tree nonchalantly, trying to look cool.

As the figure approached, you began to flush with embarrassment as you realized it wasn’t who you were expecting. The passerby glanced at you strangely, wondering why on earth you were posing with a tree so awkwardly.

*My imagination has just been driving me crazy with thoughts of him lately…*

“Ouch…”

You snapped out of your thoughts as you heard a groan come from the bush and the sound of rustling. Stifling a giggle, you quickly ran over to help Jongup get out of the hedge. He looked around in a daze, little twigs sticking out of his hair in huge disarray.

“Sorry!” You couldn’t help but laugh at his expression as you picked the twigs out of his hair.

“I don’t know why you make me hide every time you see Jonghyun,” He grumbled, spitting leaves out of his mouth as you helped dust him off, “Everyone knows we’ve been best friends since Grade 2. Why doesn’t he let you talk to other guys? Shouldn’t your boyfriend have a little more confidence in you?”

You shrugged “I don’t know, I suppose he can be a bit jealous sometimes.”

“He’s the one that’s always talking to other girls! Don’t you ever get jealous? Why should you be the only one that has to stay away from the opposite ?” Jongup protested, viewing the whole thing as unfair. He should have every right to be seen with his own best friend.

“Maybe he just doesn’t feel as secure as I do in the relationship, which I can understand. Sometimes it takes a while to build trust. I let him talk to other girls because I trust him wholeheartedly, but maybe it’ll just take time for him. I don't mind, whatever makes him happy.” You concluded with a love struck smile.

Jongup admired you quietly as you continued to chatter on your way to school, linking your arm through his.

*_____’s such a good girlfriend… more than Jonghyun deserves. I don’t know, something about that guy just doesn’t seem right…*