The Return

Can You Smile

~3 weeks later~

 

"Kim MyungSoo" SungYeol read quietly, holding Jiu's new passport in his hands. He had no idea where Jiu got it but he assumed that someone owned him a favor just like the 'doctor' and this is how that someone repaid. The document wasn't fake - at least no one would be able to tell. SungYeol took his own passport that lied next to him on the mattress he was sitting on and compared both. No difference in font, size of the letters, type of codes. Everything was neat and well done - obviously by a professional. "Kim MyungSoo" he repeated and looked closer at Jiu’s picture. He really did look Korean, SungYeol had to admit that, and that was probably good - he would fit in easier, yet SungYeol wasn't so sure about himself, as he had been gone from his real home for far too long.

 

"What are you looking at?" Jiu sat next to him and SungYeol turned to him for a second and then returned to comparing the two documents in his hands.

 

"Just comparing." he said and looked at Jiu again. Not only the new name was something for SungYeol to get used to, but also how Jiu looked. Walking around all in white was no longer an option, so Jiu was now wearing a simple black button-down and dark jeans, bought in of their we’re-supposed-to-blend-in-now tours around the city. Jiu seemed to switch from white to black, as now he had more dark clothes, but he looked good no matter what he wore... or what he didn’t. It was totally unusual compared to his previous ‘style’, but SungYeol could already hear girls screaming because of a god like Jiu walking pass them. 

 

"You don't want to go back?"  Jiu asked as SungYeol had spaced out, thinking about nonsense as always (at least he though that he thinks only about nonsense).

 

"What? No! I..." SungYeol started to protest but stopped in middle of his sentence as he actually didn't know what to say. He wanted to go where ever Jiu wanted, no, rather needed to go but something in the depth of his heart started to ache when ever he thought about returning to Seoul. 

 

"We can always think of another place to go..." Jiu spoke but SungYeol interrupted him right away.

 

"No! the flight is tomorrow and we need to go there because... because...I need to face the reality, I think." he said with a sigh and Jiu wrapped his arm around SungYeol' s shoulders, to which the taller of two responded by resting his head against Jiu' s shoulder. "I'm afraid I have nothing to return to there. I have no idea what happened to two of my closest friends, as they were in the USA when I... got kicked out. They had no idea and around the time they returned I had already sold my phone." 

 

"Maybe try calling them?" Jiu asked and SungYeol raised his head from other' s shoulder to look at him.

 

"You think?" he asked.

 

"You can try." the short sentence Jiu was back, as he as well was obviously nervous about going away from Japan, but as this dark haired man next to SungYeol was another cusp of Jiu, another identity called Kim MyungSoo, it was more than okay for short sentences to return.

 

"I think... I should try." SungYeol said with a small smile and took a small notebook that had stored away along with his papers, to look trough phone numbers written there. He took the phone (which was another to-blend-in purchase. A simple flip-open, not some high tech wonders) and dialed DongWoo’s number and put it on speaker.

 

DongWoo and Hoya (actually Howon, but he preferred to be called Hoya) were two of SungYeol closest friends. From their ' gang' they were the first to come 'out of the closet' and proudly, during DongWoo’s birthday party, announced that they love each other and they don't give a damn about anyone and anything. Funny part was, that DongWoo's mom was there too - holding the cake and such, but she didn't seem to mind in the end. As she said ' no girl is good enough for his son anyway'. Both of them went to study in the USA few months after SungYeol left to Tokyo and was oblivious about the giant mess that came after SungYeol decided to be brave, so he had no idea where they were and was this number still active.

 

After seven long beeps someone picked up and a voice - distant but still familiar- spoke: "Hello?"

 

"DongWoo?" SungYeol felt how something tightens in his chest. Jiu felt it as well as he tightened his grip around SungYeol's shoulders.

 

"Yes. Do...I know you?" DongWoo asked a hint of uncertainty rang in his voice.

 

"This... this is SungYeol." SungYeol stammered out and waited.

 

The silence on the other side of the line was tormenting, but it was soon broken by a small sob.

 

"Sungyeollie?" DongWoo sobbed. "It's really you? Really? This is not a mean joke?" 

 

A knot formed in SungYeol’s throat and he nodded furiously, and only then forced out a shaky "Yes." 

 

The sobbing on the other side of the line got only louder. "Ouh my god... Hoya!" DongWoo yelled out for the other, obviously taking the phone a bit further. "Hoya! Yaa~ah!" he cried out and sound of someone running was soon heard. "SungYeol..." DongWoo sniffled and as it seemed handed the phone to someone.

 

"SungYeol?!" Hoya, who sounded breathless and shocked at the same time, exclaimed in the phone.

 

"Uhu... Long time no seen." SungYeol sniffled a little and smiled.

 

"What... Wait..." Hoya seemed to be in shock, DongWoo's wailing in the background was still pretty audible. "Where are you? No, where have you been?" 

 

"I'm in Tokyo. And I was here all this time." SungYeol said, tears swelling up in his eyes as he hadn't heard the voices of his friends for so long. 

 

"Why didn't you call us earlier? What were you doing?" the wailing got louder as Hoya obviously was closer to DongWoo to comfort him.

 

"I was... surviving. I really didn't have a chance to contact... anyone." SungYeol bit his lower lip. He had to be a bit stronger. This was just a phone cal.

 

"Surviving?" Hoya repeated sounding shocked. "Wait... Do you need anything? A plane ticket back home? Money? Should we go to Tokyo and find you?" He started to ask all kind of questions and SungYeol smiled a little.

 

"I'm coming back tomorrow." he said and heard DongWoo' s 'what?' before the phone was taken away from Hoya.

 

"At what time?" DongWoo, whose voice was a bit raspy, asked.

 

SungYeol looked at Jiu, who reached for the plane tickets that were standing on the nightstand and looked at the time. "5PM" he said after looking at the arrival time.

 

"5PM" SungYeol repeated. "We're arriving at 5PM" 

 

"We? Who are you with?" DongWoo asked, seemed that he had calmed down from sudden shock. 

 

"I'm with... my other...my..." SungYeol looked at Jiu as he had no idea how to name him. He wasn't his other half, or boyfriend or partner or what ever - he was SungYeol’s everything, but he had no idea how to formulate it so that it wouldn't sound as cheesy as it did in his mind. "He's something more than boyfriend." SungYeol said, as he had no idea how to explain it in any other way.

 

"I see. Is he treating you well?" DongWoo asked.

 

"Yes. He's treating me very well." SungYeol smiled. That's how DongWoo was.

 

"Well, we will meet him tomorrow and then we'll see, is he worthy to be with you." Hoya butted in and according to the sound received a slap on the shoulder from DongWoo. "Where are you planning to stay?" DongWoo took over the phone again.

 

"In a hotel, I guess." SungYeol looked at Jiu, who nodded once.

 

 "No. No no no no no. No hotels. I have an idea where you could stay, so leave this to me." he said and obviously started to move around. "You know, that tomorrow you are going to tell us all that happened during this time, right?"

 

"It's a long story..." SungYeol sighed.

 

"We are ready to listen." DongWoo said with a smile in his voice.

 

"Okay. Then... till tomorrow?" 

 

"Yes. Till tomorrow." DongWoo said, accompanied with Hoya' s 'bye' at the end.

 

SungYeol closed the phone and leaned against Jiu's shoulders. Other immediately wrapped both of his arms around SungYeol, holding him close.

 

"I'm really going back." SungYeol whispered and felt how Jiu presses his lips against the top of his head. "Gladly... I don't have to go back alone." 

 

"Yes, you have your friends waiting." Jiu said resting his head on top of SungYeol’s.

 

"No. I'm going back together with you." he raised his head to look in Jiu’s eyes and smiled. Friends or not, as long he had Jiu, everything was good, no matter where he had to go and what shadows of his past he had to meet.

~*~

 

“SungYeol~ah!” A loud voice rang trough the air of the airport and in matter of seconds he was locked in a bear like hug of the shortest of his hyungs – DongWoo. “Tall fool making us to worry for so long and then call like nothing has happened.” The shorter male muttered, squeezing SungYeol as hard as he could.

 

“I missed your hugs.” SungYeol smiled and hugged DongWoo back, glancing at Hoya who was standing behind his excited boyfriend, waiting for his turn to hug ‘the lost son’, but the cheerful smile disappeared from his face, as he noticed something, as it seemed behind SungYeol. He almost looked scared and that was a bit amusing.

 

SungYeol let go of DongWoo and opened his arms to hug Hoya, but instead Hoya just took one of his hands and shook it in a very formal manner with an 90 degree bow. “Good to have you back.” He said, using honorifics all of a sudden.

 

“Hyung…” SungYeol looked at him and tried to follow his gaze to that something that has scared him so much. He turned around and realized that Hoya’s gaze was locked on Jiu, whose looks now reminded of the one he had when he gave autorative commands to his minions back in the days. It was almost like he had this a bit dark and scary aura around him, that made not only Hoya to act strange but people walk a big arch around him.

 

“Ouh.” SungYeol said with a smile, trying to break the suddenly cold atmosphere. He had a feeling that this part could go a bit wrongly, as Jiu was not used to communicating. He noticed that already in stores in Tokyo, but mostly females worked there and all of them were just blown away by Jiu’s looks, so his lack of communication skills was not a problem to them and his dark aura just seemed mysterious to them. This, on the other hand was different. “This is J… MyungSoo. My ‘more than a boyfriend’.” SungYeol said and took Jiu’s…no, MyungSoo’s hand (he had to start thinking of him as MyungSoo as well, or else he could accidentally call him by his old name) and pulled him by his side. “He… saved me when things were really bad.” SungYeol said and looked at MyungSoo, who looked back at him, squeezing SungYeol’s hand a bit harder.

 

 

“Nice to meet you.” Hoya said and reached out his hand for a handshake, which MyungSoo accepted. It looked like Hoya is going to faint as he looked scared for his life just by shaking hands with MyungSoo.

 

“So, you took care of Sungyeollie?” DongWoo asked, taking a step closer to MyungSoo. It didn’t seem that he was effected by his aura like Hoya.

 

“You could say that.” MyungSoo answered and for everyone’s surprise, DongWoo went straight forward and hugged him. For a second it looked like Hoya was ready to scream ‘no’, but stopped at the last second.

 

“Thank you for that.” DongWoo said and stepped out of the hug with a smile on his face. “Keep up the good work.” He said and stood back to Hoya’s side.

 

“I… Will?” MyungSoo looked quite chocked and all SungYeol could do was to burst out in laughter.

 

“This is too amusing.” He said and linked his arm with MyungSoo’ s. “DongWoo’s always like that. Hoya’s acting weird though.” He said looking at MyungSoo. “But that’s something you can get used to.” MyungSoo nodded in reply.

 

 

“So, shall we take you two to your new home?” DongWoo spoke as they started to head toward the exit of the terminal.

 

“Explain.” SungYeol said. His arm was still linked with MyungSoo’s and he could literally feel how MyungSoo didn’t like the filled terminal. He was tensed and no wonder he gave out his dark vibe.

 

“A friend of mine, Kiseop, together with his boyfriend owns a book store in one of the quiet districts and he has an empty living space above it. Like nothing big, but it’s nice, quiet, neat and cheap.” DongWoo said, leading the way to his car. “Beside it will be easier to stick around people, who understand, don’t you think?” He asked and smiled and SungYeol and MyungSoo.

 

“I guess so.”  SungYeol said and sighed a little.  He was really going to live here again, with all possibilities to meet the ghosts of his past he would rather want to forget.

 

MyungSoo squeezed his hand as if had felt that SungYeol tensed up and that made him to relax. Ghosts of past or not – he was safe with MyungSoo next to him.

----------------------------

Hi, everyone!!! Did you miss me?

I'm really sorry I coudln't update earlier, but my hands are full with univeristy work and researches and stuff, but I will try to finish this fic soon, so that I could try to work on some other ideas I have, like a U-KISS vampire fic and stuff.

Once again sorry for being late <3
Have a sneaky MyungYeol