Heartbeat

Can You Smile

It was warm.
Never before SungYeol had felt such warmth surrounding his body and soul at the same time and he was too afraid to open his eyes and loose this feeling, loose his warming memories of last night, because it was definitely too good to be true.

He was sure as soon as he would open his eyes the warmth would disappear and he would wake up either in his now usual bed place with awful embarrassment, as he was sure that if he dreamt all that he was probably pretty vocal in his sleep or he would wake up on the ground next to the building he found few months ago, making Jiu and last night just his coma dream. Or he could wake up in some sort of dumpster or on a bench in a park which was also a big possibility. But he couldn’t sleep forever… in theory. He was determined to try, if not the rhythmical beat that run trough his ears.

That wasn’t an unpleasant noise, no, on the very opposite – the beat was steady and strong and incredibly pleasant, almost calming, almost promising security that SungYeol wanted so much.

He slowly forced his eyes to open and the first thing his gaze met was smooth, sinewy chest that he was partly lying on, his arm wrapped around a well sculptured waist.

So it wasn’t a dream. Last night was as real as SungYeol thought it was and Jiu didn’t leave him. But that’s right; Jiu standing up was the last thing SungYeol recalled. He rose his head and looked at blonds face. His eyes were opened and he stared at something or rather at nothing on the ceiling; his face completely calm.

“Good… Good morning…” SungYeol said and Jiu turned his gaze to him, his face perfectly still, only a glimpse of the same emotion SungYeol recalled seeing yesterday was there.

Jiu didn’t reply. He just looked at SungYeol for a moment and then returned his gaze back to nothing he was looking at. Strangely, SungYeol didn’t feel hurt or anything between those lines by that – it was Jiu after all.

With little more effort, as a shot of sharp pain on SungYeol’s lower back confirmed that he didn’t dream last nights events, he sat up and only then noticed that Jiu’s arm was wrapped around his waist all this time. It had felt so natural, so right that SungYeol didn’t pay any attention to it until the touch was lost.

“I remember that you left last night… after we…” SungYeol said, pulling the blanket he recognized as his a bit more around his lower body, though Jiu had seen everything already. Blanket? He looked at it once more and then glanced at his usual sleeping place to understand that it was indeed his and what kind of idiot he was.
“Ouh my God.” He murmured covering his face with his palms. “I am so stupid.” He muttered.

“You’re not.” Jiu spoke and SungYeol removed his hands from his face. “After the way how everyone had treated you before, your request for me to stay was reasonable.” That was probably the longest sentence Jiu had said to SungYeol and it somehow made the later sad. The images of his past flew in front of his eyes so vividly he couldn’t contain a deep sigh that was on a verge of a sob. He lowered his gaze and bit his bottom lips as right now he felt like the biggest possible idiot.

For a shock, a hand caressed his cheek and he looked up, to meet with Jiu’s, who had sat up, gaze that was full with that mystical emotion SungYeol couldn’t recognize. He looked straight at SungYeol, as if trying to figure out what to do, as if asking to SungYeol for directions on what to do now, to which SungYeol couldn’t answer. After not receiving an answer, the blond did what he though was the right thing to do and pressed his lips against SungYeol’s for a brief moment and then backed away.

“I am not someone who leaves as long as I’m not being left.” The blond said and stood up, picking up his clothes and heading to, probably, bathroom and then to his daily business in first and second floor, as always.

SungYeol sat there for a moment – first of all – amazed by the fact that Jiu actually kissed him and secondly trying to find a meaning behind Jiu’s words, yet failing miserably. He lied down again, tugging himself in the blanket and didn’t even try to forget the feeling of Jiu’s lips as that was probably one of the best feelings.

 

 

*

 


Very little changed between Jiu and SungYeol afterwards. The blond still barely talked and that one sentence after their first night together was still the longest he had said to SungYeol. They did sleep on the matt together and not just once in past two weeks SungYeol woke up to Jiu’s steady heartbeat ringing trough his ears, blond’s arm around his middle, holding him close. He didn’t point it out and didn’t use it in any way, as he already felt as if he had pushed things on that night. He didn’t even try to steal kisses from Jiu or anything apart from some random touches or leaning on blonds shoulder when they were sitting at the campfire, and, well, sleeping next to each other. And to be honest, he was perfectly happy mostly because he couldn’t understand what he felt toward Jiu as he had never felt like this to anyone not to mention that he had no idea what was Jiu’s feelings toward him, but he was fine with what ever that was.

Lately Jiu had been busier than ever and the black van came to building far more often, sometimes staying there trough night. SungYeol didn’t ask a thing, he didn’t go near even the 3rd floor, not to mention first two and honestly he wasn’t even curious about what was going on until one day a male and a female started to walk around the building and obviously searching a way to get in.


“We have to go.” Jiu came in to the room while SungYeol was still looking trough the window at the car that just parked behind the building.

“Where to?” SungYeol asked and looked how Jiu grabs the bag that he usually didn’t touch and puts the books from the nightstand in it.

“To a new place. This one isn’t safe anymore.” He said and handed a medical mask to SungYeol. Without questioning anything, SungYeol put the mask on and followed Jiu, who led him down the stairs, yet stopped at when other entered second floor. Jiu stopped as well and looked at SungYeol who was as if frozen on the stairs. Without saying a word he took a step back, grabbed SungYeol’s hand and dragged him along.

“Who’s that?” Said a broad shouldered male with dark hair when they entered first floor.

“We have to move out.” Jiu said in an authoritative tone, not replying to the males question and headed out of the building straight to the black van, that SungYeol had seen plenty of times. Two other males where standing at it and even though they didn’t ask it out loud, they as well were curious about SungYeol.

“But the kid?” The dark haired male asked, following Jiu.

“Switch of places.” Jiu said with the same authoritative tone he used before and opened the doors of the van and SungYeol got the hint of getting in. Jiu followed him and soon other 3 males also sat in the van.

Not too long after that the building that supposed to be the last rest place of SungYeol but somehow turned out to be a place where he started a new disappeared from his view and this time he had a mad urge to ask Jiu what exactly was going on, but if he would decide to really ask, he would ask it without other three here.

One of them, who had stared at SungYeol the most – a skinny guy with badly bleached hair – said something in Chinese to Jiu, an ugly smirk appearing on his face afterwards and received probably the most deadly glare one could ever receive in return. SungYeol had no idea what the skinny guy had asked, but according to Jiu it wasn’t anything good

A van stopped after the dark, already in the city next to another abandoned newly constructed building. Without any explanations Jiu opened the doors of the van and took SungYeol hand again, heading in to the building and straight to the 5th floor, which was the top on for this building. The building it self looked more like an apartment one, rather than the one before and was more of a classical design. It was too dark to tell anything more.



“You can go where ever…”

“…I want apart from first to floors. I know.” SungYeol said, removing his mask as they entered a room that was set just like the one in the previous building, only it was a bit smaller. “Can I ask you something?” he turned to Jiu who already headed out after he placed the bag he took with him in the corner of the room. The blond turned to him as if giving permission to ask. “Will you explain to me what are you doing and what exactly is going on?”

The emotion in Jiu’s eyes was close to the mythical one SungYeol saw more and more often when the blond looked at him, only this time it seemed a bit different.

“Maybe someday when this is over.” Jiu said and left, leaving SungYeol with a bunch of unanswered questions and awaken curiosity.

 

 

*


The next week was nerve wrecking for SungYeol.
Jiu was gone for most of the time and though SungYeol knew Jiu could take care of himself he was worried. He felt like a housewife that worried about her husband coming home, but it was a wrong comparison as he still couldn’t define exactly what Jiu was to him and it actually frustrated SungYeol.

He felt something to him, something that wasn’t just friendship, gratitude or physical attraction – it was something more that had bits of all previously mentioned, mixed in a way that was too complex to understand. And the fact that Jiu wasn’t there and SungYeol couldn’t even guess about others feeling drove him mad.

Actually, Jiu still returned during nights. SungYeol knew that because he couldn’t sleep that well in this new place. He felt how the mattress dips in when Jiu’s weight lays on it, how he moves the blanket, how his arm wraps around SungYeol to hold him close. SungYeol was pretty sure that since they had to move Jiu is holding him tighter, without blaming it on being asleep, but that might as well be SungYeol’s imagination as he wanted to feel something more from Jiu. Yet one thing wasn’t his imagination for sure – for last two nights, right before he fell asleep, Jiu said something to him in Chinese, something SungYeol didn’t understand or even partly figure out no matter how hard he tried to.

Tonight, he had finally taken all his courage to ask Jiu about that, because he couldn’t think about anything else whole day. He wanted to know, he needed to know.

His heart was rushing like mad, his heartbeat out of time all day, as if something apart from his urge to ask had made it rush faster. It got only worse in the evening. He almost felt like he’s going to have a heart attack.

The loud sirens, followed by an explosion somewhere in the distance didn’t help him as well.

It was near dawn and Jiu still hadn’t come home. SungYeol was sitting by the window already for hours, waiting, yet nothing until he heard a movement on the stairs and slow, shabby footsteps approaching the room.

“SungYeol…” for first time in all those months Jiu had spoken his name and SungYeol automatically turned around and suddenly wished that Jiu had never spoken his name.

 

 

----------------------

 

Hello!!!
A new update is here!
I hope it calmed you down after last times ending.
As for this ending - I have to apologize again - it's a cliffhanger. 
Those of you who have seen the drama and could follow along with their movement and my subtle hints (can't hint too much, as this is more about SungYeol than Jiu), you could understand what has already happened.
Anyway - as you could tell this was a filler-up chapter... again.
Anyway, apart from this it should have 3 or maximum 4 chapters + an epilogue (maybe with , idk yet). Then I am going to start work on few chaptered EXO aka. Kris/Tao fics and finish some old requests. So, if you're interested - you're welcomed to hang around!
Also, in blog section of my account I shall write small updates about my fic ideas and progress on the fics I'm working on + probably some spazzing.

 

Leaving ya all with wonderful scene from 'She's Back' PV teaser