Hunger

Can You Smile

SungYeol thought he is going to die.

His stomach growled as loudly as a pack of angry lions right before an attack on a clueless antelope and tearing it to peaces. Ouh, how he wished he had an antelope or any kind of meat in front of him right now, he would probably eat it raw as long as it would end in his stomach, yet all he had in front of his eyes were woody and grassy hillocks. He didn’t quite remember how ended up wandering around at the skirts of the city, but there he was – walking trough abandoned and just started house projects hidden in between trees, grass and barrows.

His stomach growled again and his head suddenly spun. He barely caught himself on a tree near by preventing himself from landing face forward in the dirt. The fact that he hadn’t ate anything for nearly three days and nothing decent for weeks finally stared to affect him and he was ready to the tree just to get something in his stomach, yet something little, something barely existing and already fading in him named ‘pride’ made him stop few centimeters away from the tree, his tongue already sticking out.

“Get a hold on yourself, SungYeol.” He said and raised his hand to slap himself back in reality, but missed miserably and ended up falling against the tree and hugging it. If anyone would see him at that moment, they would rather think he’s drunk and not dying from hunger.

He let go of the tree and straightened out, nearly falling over, yet somehow managed to keep his balance and slowly started to move forward to God knows where, as he actually had nowhere to go and if he had to die, he rather died somewhere where he could see the stars at night for the last time, lying in the grass; somewhere where his useless, dead body wouldn’t bother anyone. He continued his aimless and excruciating walk to nowhere, holding onto his abdomen, until he nearly run head forward into metal gate. He stopped in front of the rusty gate and took few steps back to see what the gates were guarding.

It was an enormous (to SungYeol’s mind) building, built from as it seemed grey concrete or something of that sort in a very modern manner with completely flat roof, plenty of ‘air paths’ from one part of the building to another and with as it seemed endless amount of big windows. The building was definitely empty at the moment, as no one was moving behind the windows and it was impossible to move behind one without being noticed even by SungYeol hunger clouded eyes.

“What a nice place where to die.” SungYeol said with a small laughter and moved the metal gate just a little, to get in the territory of the building. The roof of the edifice was perfect for seeing the night shy for the last time and then either jumping down to end his sufferings or just lying there and letting whatever will come to tear his body apart. Yet he still had to get there and climbing four floors with as much energy as a run-over turtle took some time.

He stopped at the 4th floor, right before the last flight of stairs to the rooftop to catch his breath before, as he assumed, he would crawl up to meet his end. He sat on the floor and hugged his abdomen tightly, as another brutish roar came from it, as if it already started eating itself. SungYeol rested his head against the wall and glanced to his right.

At first he though that he was probably hallucinating, but after blinking several times and pinching his skinny side he understood that what he saw was real – a room or too further down the hall was a room that looked like someone lived there. “Please, let them have food.” SungYeol stood up and moved toward the room, holding on to the wall.

The room was simple – a white mattress with a pillow and a blanket, a small nightstand with few white candles on it and a bag, probably filled with clothes, next to it. Something named dignity started to cry in SungYeol when he dropped down next to the small night stand, opened its doors and started to go trough things in there in search for anything edible, yet ended up with a pile of books in Chinese in front of him. He put the books back and looked at the bag that was almost right next to him and decided that it will be the last place he will look in.

His eyes soon noticed a box that he couldn’t see when he first entered the room and he was next to it as fast as his nearly dead limbs could carry him.

“Thank you God!” he screamed from the top of his lungs as he saw few packages of noodles and some other edible stuff in the box. “How I missed you.” He said and nuzzled a pack of noodles against his cheek, ignoring his pride and common sense screaming at him.

He ripped the package open and without thinking twice took a bite of the dry noodles. He started to hum with delight when he swallowed the first bite and nearly had tears in his eyes as never before dry noodles with no spices had tasted as good as they tasted at that moment. He took another bite and closed his eyes in content, ignoring the rather disturbing sound of noodles crunching between his teeth.

“This is heaven.” He mumbled, taking another bite. He looked at what else is in the box and as he hadn’t seen most to the packages before, he just took a bottle of water out of it and after gently putting the half eaten package of noodles next to him he unscrew the bottle and actually moaned after the first drops of water entered his mouth. He drank the bottle empty in one go and returned to his noodles, looking at them with such affection his common sense almost left him for good.

After actually the wrapper of the noodles clean, eating the spices just like they were and re-thinking this entire ‘go-to-the-roof-and-die’ thing, he reached for another bottle of water to take with him when someone spoke almost right next to him.

“Who are you?” a blond guy, that seemed to be not from this planed as people just weren’t this perfect, was standing in the door way, looking straight at SungYeol. His face showed no emotions, his eyes – no matter how captivating and to SungYeol’s mind beautiful they were - were empty and nearly soulless.

The guy over all looked like he just had stepped out of a manga or just was an angel as he really looked too perfect to be real. Tall (not as tall as SungYeol though), ideally handsome or rather beautiful and with this mysterious aura filling the air around him. Not to mention that he was dressed all in white and that made him even more surreal. Actually, so surreal that SungYeol lost the gift of speech for a moment.

The gorgeous man tilted his head to one side and started took a step closer to SungYeol, waking the later from his strange and embarrassing trance, as he had stared at the blond with his mouth opened from the moment other had appeared. Strangely that at this moment more hoped that he didn’t actually start drooling after seeing the guy than the fact that other was probably pissed of, because a scum that probably looked like someone who just rolled out of a dumpster was sitting in his room, munching on his food and stealing his water.

“W…Wait!” SungYeol stammered out and started to crawl away backwards, as the blond continued to come closer. Suddenly, almost from nowhere a knife/blade thing appeared in the blonds hand and SungYeol nearly screamed, yet held back and started to speak faster than ever before: “I was just about to jump down the roof…” SungYeol mentally slapped himself. “I mean I wanted to do that because I was so hungry but then I saw your place and thought maybe you have food and I just ate one pack of noodles and drank one bottle of water and I didn’t touch anything else. Well I did but I put everything back and I was just about to take one more bottle of water and leave… as in I was about not to take it and leave and I’m really sorry, but I was just so hungry and I’m really, really sorry.” He stared at the blade that the blond was nearly joggling with and closed his eyes, being as ready as possible do die there and then.

Something moved behind SungYeol and in a split second the blade cut the air with a nearly audible sound and something landed on the floor. SungYeol opened his eyes, still shaking from fear, and saw a dead pigeon on the floor right next to him. He couldn’t suppress a yelp and covered his mouth with his hands.

The blond leaned over and picked the pigeon up and then looked at SungYeol. “You can stay, if you’re still hungry.” The blond said and SungYeol’s stomach as if heard that and responded with a loud growl.

“Thank you.” SungYeol said still shaking and bowed, so that his forehead touched the cold floor. “Really thank…” he said, rising he his head and realizing he was now alone again. He stood up and followed the gray feathers that lead from the door up the roof, which was SungYeol’s intended destination at the beginning of this day.

It was already twilight outside and a campfire, that was neatly put together not so far from the very edge of the roof, lit it all with somehow cozily dim light which nearly blended together with the last beams of the setting sun. The blond was doing something near the camp fire and according to the fact that he killed a pigeon few minutes ago SungYeol was pretty sure about what will for dinner tonight.

He carefully walked toward the campfire and nearly fell over when the blond turned around with two pigeons being stuck on a skewer. Ignoring the nearly hit SungYeol, the blond placed the skewer above the fire on two beforehand prepared stick and sat on the edge of the roof that was a bit higher than the rest of the roof and looked straight at SungYeol.

The later gulped as it seemed to him pretty loudly and sat on the surface of the roof keeping a decent distance from the blond. Neither of them spoke and though didn’t like silence, he pretty much enjoyed this – nothing apart from the night slowly covering the area, some crickets in the grass around the building and quite sputtering of the fire. Well, there was a mind-blowing beautiful and as it seemed kind stranger sitting relatively next to SungYeol, staring at the fire in front of him, but somehow didn’t want to interrupt what ever other was thinking about with his lame questions, as he already felt like a burden… again.

The blond turned his head, his empty eyes piercing straight trough SungYeol’s soul, making the later to realize that he had been staring at the blond for quite while… again.

The blond turned away, obviously not being quite bothered by SungYeol almost drooling over him more than the two deliciously smelling pigeons that were still crackling above the fire. But, someone as extraterrestrial as him probably was used to people staring… Though how, if he obviously lived here, someone could stare at him?

SungYeol finally turned away and looked at the fire and he just couldn’t miss those two golden brown, mouthwateringly smelling, probably ouh-so-delicious pigeons calling his name. His stomach roared loudly and SungYeol assumed that he turned bright red from embarrassment and hugged his abdomen, lowering his head. His pride silently wept because of shame.

“Here.” The blond spoke attracting SungYeol’s attention. He had taken the pigeons away from fire and now held the skewer so that SungYeol could take one.

“Thank you.” SungYeol said his eyes nailed to the roasted bird in front of him. He ignored how it burned his fingers, lips, and tongue and down his throat. He moaned in delight as he had already forgotten how meat tasted and though an average pigeon didn’t have anything much on its bones, it was as blissful as the first bite of those noodles few hours ago. “So good.” SungYeol moaned nearly shamelessly and nibbled every last bit of meat from the small bones until nothing was left. A hand appeared in front of him with an almost untouched pigeon in it.

SungYeol looked at the blond and almost teared up. He ignored his pride screaming and ranting about him being impolite and that he shouldn’t take what the blond was offering and that he had already taken too much, but he ignored it as always and took what the blond was giving, bowing and mumbling a ‘thank you’ before he attacked the small bird, cleaning it’s bones from meat just like he did with the previous one.

“I haven’t ate like this for months.” SungYeol sighed and closed his eyes, enjoying this wonderful feeling of being full. Well, maybe not quite full as he was completely and absolutely empty before, but his stomach had calmed down and stopped giving sounds like a hump wale in mating season – that meant he was far from dieing now.

“I don’t even know how to thank you.” SungYeol looked at the blond who was staring at the last pieces of wood slowly deflagrating in the fire and turning in to ashes. “I’m once again apologizing for intruding your living space and eating your food. That was not my intention I just didn’t have another choice.” SungYeol kneeled and bowed in the same way he did after receiving an invitation for dinner. “Really thank you.” He said and looked up to meet a pair of perfectly shaped, deep brown yet emotionless eyes looking at him.

“Do you have a place to go to?” the blond asked, his voice as emotionless as his eyes.

“No, but…”

“Then you can stay.” The blond cut him of. “Just don’t think of bringing anyone else here.” SungYeol’s eyes probably were as big as saucers. Was the blond truly an angel?

“Thank you. I will find a way how to repay you for this.” SungYeol bowed again. When he stood up the blond was already moving trough the doors that lead back in to the building.

Nearly tripping over his own feet SungYeol followed and almost run in others back as he had stopped in front of his room and as it was dark, the awkward moment was saved only by the fact the blond was wearing only white and somehow SungYeol noticed him. He looked at SungYeol and without saying a single word went into his room, picked up the pillow and the blanket from the mattress and handed them to SungYeol.

“Sleep where ever you want.” He said and without saying anything else lied on his mattress.

SungYeol tried to remember where things were placed in the room and decided to take the place on the other side of the nightstand. He set the blanket on the floor and lied down, hugging the pillow, as he was now used to not having extra like that supporting his head during the night.

“If I’m staying, do I need to know anything?” SungYeol asked after he settled on the floor.

“Stay away from my business.” The blond said and SungYeol felt shivers running down his spine for unknown reason.

“Ok.” He said and his back, looking at now completely black ceiling. “My name is SungYeol, by the way.” He said and hoped that blond was still awake.

“Jiu.” The blond replied and SungYeol silently mouthed the word.

“Good night, Jiu. And thank you once again.” SungYeol said and drifted to sleep without receiving an answer.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So this is how they met. 
I think this is the only chapter where Jiu will actually speak THIS much xD.
So, if you've seen the drama the location is probably familiar to you and so is Jiu's attitude (though I changed it a bit here. Like duuh).
This chapter almost wrote it self, which makes me happy!
Hopefully the rest will be as easy to write (yeah, right).
Till next one with some pure perfection in form of Jiu/L/MyungSoo