State of Emergency

Can You Smile

 

“This might sound like a completely weird question, but what would you say, if I would offer you a job here?” WooHyun asked one night, when all of them, this time together with SungJong too, were sitting at SungGyu’s diner after closing and just talked.

Catching up on everything that had happened wasn’t an easy task as each story was long, complicated and not always the happiest one. The mood after SungYeol’s one the evening when they first met all together was so heavy that they just sat in silence for good ten minutes, until SungYeol continued with the brightest side of his story – meeting MyungSoo. Now they all, apart from MyungSoo, during two weeks of meeting once in a while, had shared their stories and it was a real relief that no one asked about MyungSoo’s. Their assumption that it was too hard to talk about was pretty much true, so nothing was lied there. Everyone liked everyone and even Hoya stopped to freak out when ever MyungSoo spoke and everything was calm until WooHyun asked the previously mentioned question.

“I know you mostly hang out around the book-shop and such, so we, more precisely me, were thinking that maybe you would like to work.” WooHyun spoke looking at the surface of the table. “Like, I just think we both should kind of know each other better. And we really could use an extra pair of hands around here and such.” He said and looked up to meet MyungSoo’s gaze.

MyungSoo looked at SungYeol who looked quite zoomed out, then at Hoya who had nearly the same expression on his face. DongWoo and SungJong seemed to snap out of it the fastest, both of them nodding and smiling.

“I think it’s a great idea!” DongWoo cheered. “Especially if we want to get SungYeol back in university.” DongWoo said and gasped covering his mouth with his hands.

SungYeol snapped out and looked at MyungSoo whose eyes were big and drilled holes in DongWoo’s being.

“Am I missing something?” SungYeol asked.

“I asked DongWoo to find out what you should do to get back in the university.” MyungSoo replied after taking a deep breath.

“Why?” SungYeol was actually a bit in a shock.

“You seemed enthusiastic when you talked about that.” MyungSoo replied looking right in SungYeol’s eyes, as if hypnotizing him not to object.

“So I asked around and you just need to take a few tests and pay for the studies and you can start from where you stopped.” DongWoo said with a smile.

“I really don’t know.” SungYeol sighed, as how he lived now was near all he had ever wanted – he had a nice quiet job, he had someone he loved and who loved him back and he had his friends near. Getting back in to studies would change things and he was not sure that he wanted that.

“You should. At least one of us needs to be smart, don’t you think?” MyungSoo said, laying his hand on top of SungYeol’s.

“Lack of diploma does not make you stupid.” SungYeol frowned and rested his head on MyungSoo’s shoulder pecking his cheek before.

“You two are so sweet I think I am going to be sick.” SungJong made a face.

“You’re just jealous.” Hoya laughed and slightly punched other shoulder. “Get a girlfriend and get over it.”

“Or a boyfriend.” DongWoo said with a laugh and earned a death glare from SungJong.

“Hyung, for how many times I have to tell you that…”

“…hanging out with us and being prettier than females does not make you gay. We know.” DongWoo smiled. “I’m just joking.”

“Anyway, what do you say, MyungSoo? Your salary won’t be big but it’s better than nothing.” SungGyu spoke, looking at the said male.

“Ok. I would like to try.” He said and WooHyun’s face bloomed in smile.

“Great!” he clapped his hands and it seemed that he almost jumped from his seat. “Can you start tomorrow?” he asked, his eyes sparkling.

“Of course.” MyungSoo nodded.

“Great, then be here before 7AM. I will show you around and what you will have to do.” WooHyun smiled and SungYeol could almost swear that there was a slight hint of smile on MyungSoo’s face as well.

~*~

“We have never had so many customers.” SungGyu, who was standing behind the register, muttered to WooHyun, who took out a new set of orders from the kitchen and handed them to MyungSoo, who on the other hand set them on the right tables.

“And it’s only a week since MyungSoo is working here.” WooHyun replied with a smile and disappeared in to the kitchen for a second, just to come out short after. “MyungSoo!” he called out and the raven-head appeared next to the counter so fast he almost scared SungGyu. “Come in to the kitchen. We’re running out of ingredients. I’ll take over the hall for a moment.”

 

“Sure.” He said and disappeared in the kitchen making the girl population of the hall (which as near all of it) to sigh.

 

“Ridiculous. They’ve come here because of him and not because of the food.” SungGyu frowned.

 

“But they order, they eat and they like it as the plates and bowls come back to kitchen clean. So it’s all good, don’t you think?” WooHyun smiled wrapping his arm around SungGyu’s middle for a moment, before the door bell rang. He let go and headed to see the new customer just to burst in smile.

“You decided to come this early?” he asked to SungYeol, who was standing next to the door, looking around and not hiding his surprise as almost all tables were full.

“Yeah. I’ve been studying the whole time and I almost haven’t seen MyungSoo, so I decided to take a break.” He said with a bit sad smile.

The chance to enter university again made him nervous so he started to borrow all kind of books from the store and read them thoroughly and take notes, studying until he couldn’t keep his eyes open and just passed out somewhere in the apartment. He always woke up in the bed though and that made him to frown and smile at the same time, because already after first 3 days of MyungSoo working and SungYeol going in to study spree he started to miss his angel. He did saw him in the mornings, usually standing on his hands in the living room, like he used to on the rooftop in Japan when ever he ended his work-out routine. He had obviously started doing the routine again as he had to leave somewhere every morning and it was almost like a cup of coffee for him – waking up his body and mind. SungYeol didn’t mind, only it started to remind too much of their life in Japan, when MyungSoo, back then Jiu, disappeared somewhere right after SungYeol woke up. Yes, know he knew where he disappeared to, but that didn’t change the fact and the tightening feeling in his chest, as this kind of routine led to one night SungYeol would never like to repeat in his entire life. So he had to do something to ruin the circle of well known actions and prevent things form repeating themselves, that is why he put all his books to the side and came to the diner at the middle of the day.

“He’s in the kitchen now cutting ingredients. Did you know that he has amazing, no, mind blowing knife skills?” WooHyun said with real amazement in his voice. “SungGyu has worked here since the day he could actually hold a knife in his hand, and his skills still lack next to MyungSoo’s!” he continued and led SungYeol to a small table near the counter. The seat was usually free as it was almost at the back and was meant for placing trays than someone actually sitting there.

“Yeah, I am quite aware of his skills.” SungYeol said and the scene of MyungSoo’s blade cutting the air and feathers starting to fall down like snow flashed before his eyes. The tightening feeling in his chest grew bigger.

“MyungSoo! Come out for a second!” WooHyun called and headed to kitchen to take over what ever MyungSoo was doing at the moment.

“Yes?” MyungSoo appeared from the kitchen and his eyes lit up as soon as he noticed SungYeol sitting at the small table.

“Everyone’s served, so you can take a small break. But by small I really mean a small one. Who know when another herd of school girls will barge in like they did yesterday… and the day before that.” SungGyu sighed and ordered the quite impressive pile of checks.

“Sure.” MyungSoo replied and went to sit in front of SungYeol. “Shouldn’t you be studying?” he asked, his eyes almost sparkling, showing that though he asked a question like that he was happy seeing SungYeol here, not passed out on their small living room floor.

“I decided to take a break.” SungYeol smiled and reached over the table to take MyungSoo’s hands in his. The white shirt other was wearing made him look tanner than usual, his forearm muscles standing out. The few undone buttons at the top of the shirt and the contrast between it and the black apron he was wearing made him look like a character in a drama. No wonder that so many girls stared to come here when he started to work here.

“What are you thinking about?” MyungSoo asked, intertwining their fingers.

“I miss you.” SungYeol said not quite sure how to explain that, as he knew he needs to explain. “Just that, this remind me of… Japan, you know.” He sighed and looked at MyungSoo who on the other hand looked at their hands on the table.

“But it’s completely different from that, don’t you think?” he asked, looking up.

“In a way it, but then again it is not. You wake up, get ready and disappear till late at night, while I stay and what ever I need to. It’s the same pattern and that makes me anxious.” SungYeol sighed again.

“Are you… scared?” MyungSoo asked.

“A bit. There are just some certain things I don’t want to live trough anymore.”

MyungSoo’s grip on SungYeol’s hands tightened. “You won’t have to endure anything like that. I promise.” He said, looking right in SungYeol’s eyes. His gaze radiated only sincerity and SungYeol gladly believed it, more because it was true, not just because he wanted to believe.

“Okay.” He sighed with a smile.

“MyungSoo. Unfortunately the break is over.” SungGyu’s voice broke the mood and both them looked at the door where a bunch of girls were trying to somehow enter, as everyone wanted to be the first to go in, take a seat and order.

“I shall go then.” SungYeol stood up and so did MyungSoo.

“Don’t you want anything to eat?” he asked, still holding on to SungYeol’s hands.

“No, I’m fine.” SungYeol smiled.

“Too skinny.” MyungSoo muttered barely audibly.

“What?”

“Nothing.” He said and quickly pecked SungYeol on forehead. “I’ll see you later then.”

“Yeah.” SungYeol smiled, small blush creeping on his cheeks. “Till later.” He said and let go of MyungSoo’s hands. He waved a good-bye to WooHyun and SungGyu and almost burst out laughing when he saw how the girls were near fainting as soon as MyungSoo stood next to them to take their order. He was definitely more than just lucky, having MyungSoo for himself.

 

~*~

It had been a good month since MyungSoo started working and SungYeol decided to study for the university entry tests and all of that seemed to go perfectly. The diner had more customers than ever, as SungJong had brought his school-mates there as well and, of course, they decided on eating then when ever they could. SungYeol on the other hand was ready for the exams so soon came the day when he left for the most important one.

That day wasn’t particularly busy at the diner, so when DongWoo came in there was no problem finding him a seat.

“So, where’s SungYeol?” he asked when MyungSoo came to take his order.

“Isn’t he at the exam?” MyungSoo asked, putting the pen and notepad down for a moment.

“The exam ended quite a while ago. I went to book store and it was closed, so I assumed he came here, instead of watching it while Kiseop and Jaeseop are gone. Like, to celebrate the end of the exams or something.” He said and MyungSoo sat in the chair in front of him.

“He hasn’t been here all day.”  He said and didn’t hide his worries.

“Well… I assumed you two were together, as he wasn’t answering his phone, but now I’m getting nervous.” DongWoo said and pulled his own phone out to call SungYeol again yet with no luck.

“How about SungJong or Hoya? Haven’t they seen him?”  MyungSoo asked.

“SungJong has collage entrance exams himself today, so I doubt. Hoya has work interviews, so I doubt about that too.” DongWoo said and obviously grew more and more anxious.

“What’s wrong?” WooHyun asked as he came to table, noticing how tensed both men were.

“We can’t contact SungYeol and we have no idea where he is.” DongWoo quickly summed it up and this time tried to call Hoya.

“Something is wrong.” MyungSoo said his voice low and quiet. “Was there anyone on the street next to the book store?” he asked and DongWoo out the phone down as Hoya wasn’t answering.

“No one… Apart from this really tall foreigner in black turtleneck.” He said.

“Foreigner?” MyungSoo asked and DongWoo nodded.

“Sounds like the one who came here every day for two weeks. He’s not here today though.” WooHyun said and it finally hit MyungSoo.

The man was sitting here every day for two weeks just like WooHyun said and saying that he stood out was mildly said. He was like a black spot of ink on a bleached paper. Why didn’t MyungSoo notice him before?

“Something is wrong.” He said and stood up, taking of his apron and giving it to WooHyun and heading out of the diner.

“Wait up!” he heard DongWoo calling and WooHyun saying something to SungGyu. The bell of the diner rang two more times and now both of them were calling for him but he had already started to run.

His heart was racing more because of worrying than running and when he reached the locked bookstore it was almost jumping out of his chest.

It took him a moment to find the keys in his pocket and he could already hear DongWoo’s and WooHyun’s voices from somewhere behind him but he couldn’t wait. Something was wrong.

He opened the door and run up the stairs to their apartment to freeze as soon as he opened the door.

The place was in total mess in it was more than clear that no one was there.

Three rows, the last one being written in Chinese, of big angry neon blue letters and an address were drawn on the wall, stating the following.

‘Time to pay up for your betrayal.

I already took the first payment.

See you soon, Jiu.’

“MyungSoo…”  DongWoo breathed out and almost run in to frozen MyungSoo’s back. “What’s…” he stopped as he saw the room and the letters on the wall. “Ouh my god…” he sighed and leaned against the door.

WooHyun arrived seconds after and collapsed right at the door as soon as he could see the scene.

“No…” MyungSoo breathed out and finally walked in, stepping over turned over furniture, scattered books and broken dishes. He headed to bedroom to find in as big of a mess as the living room. Despite the mess he went to the closet and started to go to go trough its contents until he found an average sized wooden box with a code lock. Both the lock and the box were antique – probably one of the first of that kind – so only one who knew the right code and the way how to enter it could open it.

MyungSoo entered the code and opened the box.

The blade he once put away, locking it in the box, was still lying there, perfect still and cold, not being used for longest time since it was made. He took it out and spun it once, the blade cutting the air.

“MyungSoo…” DongWoo spoke behind him; his eyes fixed on the blade in others hand. “What are you doing?” he asked.

“Going to get SungYeol.” He said and put the blade back in the box and placed it on the bed. He got rid of the white dress shirt and pulled a black t-shirt over his head, throwing an asphalt-black hoodie over it.

“You can’t just run there! Who ever took him is waiting for you.” DongWoo said stepping further in to the room, followed by WooHyun.

“DongWoo’s right. We should call the police.” He said.

“Police will make things worse. They always do no matter on which side you stand on.” MyungSoo said and took the blade from the box, spinning it few more times, making WooHyun’s and DongWoo’s eyes to go big.

“Listen. Put that thing down.” DongWoo said moving closer. “We need to think this trough.”

“There is no time.” MyungSoo said and went pass DongWoo and WooHyun, heading back to living room. Both others followed him.

“Please, stop.” WooHyun plead but got no response as MyungSoo was already at the door.

“MyungSoo!” DongWoo called his name but received no reply, so he decided to try something. “Jiu…” he said and MyungSoo stopped. “We should talk about this, Jiu.” DongWoo said and MyungSoo turned around, responding to the word with no doubt.

“Why did you call me like that?” MyungSoo asked stepping closer to DongWoo until he was just inches away.

“Because… I know.” DongWoo said with a deep breath, looking straight at MyungSoo’s flaming eyes. This was totally the wrong time to say what he had said.

-------------------------------
HELLO!
Here's an update like I promised.
The title is inspired by Dalmatian latest EP, as I have a lot of Simon feels lately.
So, this is kind of a big twist, rather two big twists in the story and I actually have no idea will there be more. I just know that the next chapter will be inspired by 'BTD' MV and it will be a challenge to write.
Hope you like this.
Have a bad- half-asleep MyungSoo.


P.S. It would be so nice if this would have 100 subscribers till I end this...