A Box of Cookies

Can You Smile

 

During his stay with Jiu, SungYeol learned few things about the mysterious blond and himself as well and in one particular day he learned more than ever.

 

Jiu didn’t talk much, but he was a good listener. At last that’s what SungYeol assumed. He had a tendency to rabble about a lot of random things at evenings when they were sitting at the campfire and Jiu never responded or reacted to any of them. If he did say something it was related to living here and practical things, never to things SungYeol talked about – was it music, movies or books (SungYeol was way back at all that as no money equals any of the above, but he tried his best). But he knew Jiu listened.

 

Last night his tongue slipped and he mentioned how he missed cookies or any kind of sweets in general and then he started to chatter about all the different kinds of chocolates, cookies and candies he knew until the fire went out and they went to bed, as always only SungYeol wishing sweet dreams to Jiu, not receiving an answer.

This morning, a small box of simple chocolate cookies was next to his primitive bed place and he couldn’t hold back a squeal of delight.

 

He immediately ran to the roof where Jiu was doing his mourning routines (stretching, standing on his arms, some weird apparently martial art moves, ‘tricks’ with the blade of his and such… all shirtless and so very, very distracting and arousing to SungYeol’s mind) and forgetting about Jiu’s dark and a bit scary aura hugged him. The blond stood still until SungYeol realized what he had done and let go, bowing deeply and running back inside, blushing red as a tomato, his pride screaming in an ear piercing voice – pointing out how stupid SungYeol was. Only then he realized he didn’t memorize the feeling of Jiu’s bare skin and the very though of how much he wanted to do that made SungYeol to blush even deeper red than before. His pride and common sense raged and SungYeol just sat on his blanket and hugged the box of cookies close to his chest.

 

Jiu soon came in, his hair wet (obviously because of shower) and as soon as he came he already left leading to one more thing about SungYeol had learned already a while ago –Jiu came and went when he wanted and following him was out of limits and… he wasn’t the good guy. What he called ‘his business’ and what he went to settle in first two floors of the house included guns and several men, that came to the house in black van once in a while. SungYeol didn’t spy on them, he didn’t listen about what they talked about and he didn’t want to know what exactly where this ‘business’ of Jiu – during the month of his stay he got used to this place… got used to Jiu and ending up on street and alone again was not an option in his mind – not at all.

 

Third thing from a long, long list of things SungYeol learned about Jiu (and which wasn’t but in a way still was connected to that day) was how foolishly attracted pigeons and doves were to him. Only twice he saw how Jiu kills a still flying dove and fascination of how fast Jiu’s hand moved along with the blade in it disappeared as soon as the doves’ dead body hit the floor and another one followed soon after, as the white birds ‘friend’ had flied straight to Jiu right after the blade had cut the air and the first bird in a steady, peaceful, almost longing manner. They were ridiculously attracted to the blond, and so was SungYeol.

 

He felt like a stupid pigeon, which was flying too close to Jiu – being close enough to get cut by his blade and end up on the floor, his life leaving his body. But he couldn’t help it. There was something that dragged him to Jiu although he knew enough for a normal person to run as far away from the dangerous blond - starting from his emotionless attitude and ending up with his not-so-legal business, but SungYeol was a dumb pigeon and he couldn’t help anything about that. Perhaps it was the way how Jiu cared – without any words and promises, just with actions, or maybe because he listened and didn’t ask any questions, maybe because he didn’t act like someone he wasn’t… unlike most in SungYeol’s life before.

 

The evening came faster than ever and SungYeol stumbled on the roof, his legs numb from sitting on the floor all day, his mind dizzy from thinking too much,  where as always Jiu was sitting in front of the fire, cattle quietly buzzing on the flames.

 

SungYeol was still holding the box of cookies he received, hugging it closely to his chest jet not crushing it, so that the cookies wouldn’t brake. He sat next to Jiu on the edge of the roof, as always and rested his chin on his knees.

 

A plastic cup full with steaming, pleasantly fragrant liquid appeared in front of him and he glanced up from the flames he was staring at for a while to meet Jiu’s as emotionless stare as always, though today it seemed a bit more lively that usual.

 

“Thank you.” He muttered and took the cup, taking a small sip of the tea he hadn’t had for a while. The warm liquid slowly spread trough his body and calmed his raging thoughts down.

 

He placed the cup on the ground and finally opened the box of cookies and turned to Jiu, offering them to him.

 

The blond first looked at cookies and then at SungYeol.

 

“I insist that you take half of them because… because… eeerrmmm…” SungYeol started to stammer and his absolutely amazing reason of insisting faded from his brain. “Just because.” He said, almost screaming and pushed the box even more forward.

 

Without answering, as always, Jiu took one of the cookies and SungYeol was too embarrassed to look away from Jiu, as the blond took a bit of the cookie. Like seeing most fascinating thing on earth SungYeol started and almost counted how many times Jiu’s jaw moved while he chewed, how his Adam’s apple moved when he swallowed, how his lips rested against the edge of his cup when he took a sip from it. Everything about the blonds’ looks and the way he moved was perfect to SungYeol and he couldn’t help but to gulp.

 

He knew that Jiu was completely aware of him staring, but during the past month SungYeol stared on daily basis, so it was nothing new for the blond. At least SungYeol though that Jiu just didn’t wait for appropriate moment to kill him because he was actually madly annoyed by him.

 

Yet Jiu didn’t react and SungYeol sighed in relief.

 

He placed the box between him and Jiu and quietly stared at the flames, munching on the infamous cookies and sipping tea.

 

“I know I’ve said this a lot…” SungYeol spoke, breaking the relative silence of fire quietly sputtering and the sound of eating cookies. “But I’m really thankful to you.” He looked at Jiu who was looking at him. “For first time in a long, long time I don’t feel deceived.” SungYeol smiled. “Somehow ending up without a real home to return to doesn’t seem that bad.” He said with a deep sigh and rested his chin on his knees again, wrapping his arms around his legs.

 

“Why you don’t have a home to return to?” Jiu asked and SungYeol automatically looked at him as it was extremely rare for other to speak, not to mention asking question.

 

“It’s a pretty long story… Really want to hear it?” SungYeol asked and received a small nod in return. “So…” He took a deep breath. “I had a nice, decent life back in Seoul, where I’m actually from. Mom, dad and a younger brother, few good and several just friends, someone I loved and as I naively tough back then loved me too. Sound pretty typical, huh?” SungYeol laughed a bit at his own cliché like story and continued.

“I was a good student, and good at Japanese – obviously, so I got a scholarship for a university in Tokyo. First year was a bit hard as I was away from everything I knew and loved  and when I came back home for holiday things didn’t get any better.” SungYeol took one of the half burned branches that was somehow fallen out of the camp fire and started to draw random thing in the thin layer of sand that was covering the roof top.

“My family started to tease me to get a decent girl that could become my wife and all that nonsense. They insisted on it so badly that I finally snapped and told them that… I don’t like girls in the way they would want me to.” He glanced at Jiu, who definitely listened looking at the fire and continued. “Mom got hysterical, brother didn’t hide his disgust, dad kind of beat me up and I ended up in the first flight to Tokyo, disowned by my family and basically kicked out from the country by them without any chance to meet my friends.” SungYeol sighed “After few weeks the university heard about me and as I had no family behind me as in no chance to get anything from me as all my cards and accounts were blocked, they kicked me out. I soon had to move from the apartment I had to a small rented room in a lousy district. But all that I could have lived trough if not…” the pain SungYeol had locked inside his heart broke out and his eyes got blurry with tears, yet he swallowed them. “The one I loved… he called me. He didn’t seem sad about what he said – it was more like didn’t care at all. He said…” SungYeol sniffed a little “He said that there’s no use for him to be with someone like me – with no home, family or even money to return to my home country.” SungYeol rubbed his eyes with the back of his palm and sniffed again. “Not too long after I had to sell my phone, so I couldn’t contact my friends, and eventually anything valuable I had just to not be kicked out of that lousy place I lived in. I found a job in a night club, as non-Japanese was needed there and little did I know why…” he bit his lower lip and concentrated to his messy drawings in the sand. “I lost my pride and self confidence quickly, as all I had in my mind was survival and back then I couldn’t think of anything better than what I had to do. There go all your good grades in high school.” He laughed awkwardly.

“The night club was soon shut down because of ‘workers’ like me as we weren’t registered and such. So, I lost my only source of income and that lousy room I had… I lost everything. With my last money I stored my documents and ended up on the street. Then I somehow got here and well… almost ended up jumping from this very roof to end my miserable life. That’s about it.” He said with one last sniff and glanced at Jiu, who was now looking at him and he could swear that he saw some kind of emotion in Jiu’s eyes.

 

“You’re parent’s are fools.” The blond said, turning away again. “So is the ones in university and anyone who threw you away, used you or mistreated you.” He said his face stiffer thane ever and it almost sounded like he’s angry. “Have you thought of how to gain revenge?” Jiu asked and turned to SungYeol again.

 

“I don’t want revenge.” SungYeol shook his head.

 

“You don’t? After everything all of them did?” Jiu’s stare almost drilled holes in SungYeol’s entire being.

 

“Destiny will punish them eventually. Beside, search for revenge would destroy me even more. I rather seek for happiness.” SungYeol smiled, despite his eyes still being foggy.

 

“How can you still smile after all that…” Jiu said atypically quietly.

 

“I guess I’m just like that.” SungYeol laughed a bit. “Thank you for listening. It got a bit better after telling this to someone. Maybe it would have been better, if I would have had someone to tell this to before.” He looked at Jiu, who was yet again looking at the campfire which was now fading out, poking few still flaming coals with a stick. “Jiu…” SungYeol spoke and the blond looked at him. “I thought… that if I spoke this out and it got better… I should try and do something, hoping that it will make things better again.” He said and moved closer to the blond until they were basically sitting side by side. “I’m sorry. And it’s really ok if you throw me of the roof afterwards.” SungYeol said and took a deep breath.

 

His heart was pounding like mad and his mouth went dry but if he was spilling his heart out tonight he might as well risk everything.

 

Carefully, he placed his hands on Jiu’s face and tried to ignore them shaking like leaves in wind and leaned closer until there was just a microscopic space between his and Jiu’s lips. The blond was still as a statue, his eyes with a glint of some sort of emotion hypnotizing SungYeol – almost inviting him to move.

As if pushed by invisible force SungYeol closed the small distance and pressed his lips against Jiu’s. 

 

 

-----------

YEY! I updated! xD
So, now I guess you can see/feel what SungYeol feels toward Jiu and vice versa and why SungYeol was on the street.
I pushed the developtment of their relationship a bit further, because I don't want this fic to drag forever. 

There's still plenty chapters to come.
I have no idea when next chapter will be on because:

a) I have a lot of things to read for university. Like real books not Fan fics xD
b) I have a lot of work in the garden. FML.
c) Next chapter is which will be a challenge to write beacause Jiu is Jiu, ya know.
Will leave ya all with some MyungYeol kiss <3 <3 <3 (it's that pepero sticvk game, but who cares)

I have no idea which one I'm jealous of more.. .-.
#inspiritproblems