Ghost of Past

Can You Smile

 

 

The place was just like DongWoo describe it – neat, clean and quiet. The owners – Kiseop and Jaeseop -  were nice and offered part of the rent being paid by watching after the bookshop while they were gone (everyone assumed that both SungYeol and MyungSoo were pretty much broke, as how could they know about the ridiculous amount of money MyungSoo had, not to mention the way how he got it.). They even offered work at the store once in a while which as really nice gesture and SungYeol accepted it right away. He hadn’t had a decent job since… he never had had a decent job before, so this was great.

 

 

MyungSoo on the other hand used another benefit of the bookstore – books. He seemed to like books, as one of the things he didn’t let go where ever he went where those few books in Chinese SungYeol found in his nightstand when he first got in to MyungSoo’s place. Here he had a wide variety of all kind of literature and the owners did not mind him skimming trough books, or sitting in the corner and reading them, as one of the owners – Jaeseop – did the same.

 

 

Things were fine and everything was calm. They met DongWoo and Hoya almost daily in a café that was right in the midway between the bookstore and the university both were attenting. Meeting so frequently was ‘in purpose of getting used to new environment’, as DongWoo said. They hadn’t touched SungYeol’s life during past year or MyungSoo’s past and no one was rushing them to tell about it or meet with SungYeol’s past here, until now.

 

 

“I think you should meet WooHyun.”  DongWoo said during lunch that all four of them were having together like always.

 

 

“Why… do you think so?” SungYeol asked and put down the glass he was holding as his hand started to shake violently. The shaking was stopped only by MyungSoo’s hand holding SungYeol's tightly.

 

 

“Who’s WooHyun?” MyungSoo asked making Hoya to jump a little, as MyungSoo still didn’t speak a lot and Hoya was still intimidated by his presence.

 

 

“He’s… my previous… boyfriend.” SungYeol said quietly and locked his gaze at the surface of the table.

 

 

“Things have changed…a lot while you were gone.” DongWoo said in a peaceful voice. “WooHyun’s family hit bankrupt five months ago.” He said attracting SungYeol’s attention.

 

 

“What? How? His father was such a good businessman.” SungYeol said as he could not believe what he had just heard. WooHyun’s family had always been wealthy, almost as wealthy as SungYeol’s and his father had brilliant business strategies and big plans for WooHyun to take over his business one day.

 

 

“Well, turned out he was also a great swindler. He had double entry bookkeeping and fake enterprises to cover it up. His business was also somehow connected with mafia at some points so when one of those who were connected with him got caught he somehow spilled everything about WooHyun’s dad. Right now he’s in prison and will be there for quite a while.” DongWoo said with as sigh at the end.

 

 

“I can’t believe it.”  SungYeol leaned back in his chair and stared at the ceiling for a moment. “And WooHyun’s mom? WooHyun himself?”

 

 

“His mom quickly gave in divorce papers and re-married with someone and moved away. WooHyun… WooHyun stayed.” DongWoo sighed again and looked at Hoya, as if asking him to take over which other did.

 

 

“WooHyun was pretty much broken. His family crushed in to dusts, all his money and wealth lost, he’s basically left on the street with nothing. He stayed with SungJong for a week, but then left, as it hurt him to see SungJong together with his family. Then he stayed with us for two weeks. We knew what he did to you…” Hoya looked at his cup that was in front of him. “… but we couldn’t just let him wander around.” He looked at SungYeol who just nodded silently. “But then, one evening, when we came back home, he was gone. No contact information, no nothing. He just vanished until…”

 

 

“Until,” DongWoo took over the telling again “we saw him scrubbing tables in a restaurant not so far from here. We, of course, went in and asked why he left and what is he doing here, to which he replied with probably the most sincere smile we had ever seen on his face.” DongWoo smiled a little himself. “He said that in the evening when he left our place, he just wandered around the streets and saw this guy, who turned out to be the owner of the place, struggling with boxes in front of the door and nearly falling over. WooHyun went to help and noticed a sign ‘help wanted – paying in living space and food’ in the window. He applied right away and got hired as the owner was also the only worker there, doing everything from cleaning and serving to cooking and accounting. So, he now works and lives there and is… actually very happy.” DongWoo said and took a sip from his cup. “So, I think you two should meet and talk. I think… no, I know that he’s really sorry about what he did.”

 

 

SungYeol sighed. He couldn’t meet WooHyun now. He wanted to, because no matter what had happened in the past, he was still someone who used to have a big role in his life. He wasn't from those who just threw people away. But he wasn’t ready; he didn’t feel ready to face such a big figure from his past - a ghost like this should wait just a little longer. He felt a bigger pressure on the hand MyungSoo was still holding and looked at him.

 

 

“You should meet him.” MyungSoo said, actually shocking SungYeol, because he would have never though that MyungSoo would encourage him.

 

 

“W…Why?” SungYeol stammered out, as he was hypnotized by MyungSoo’ s eyes, as always (he still was a stupid pigeon and he didn't regret a thing).

 

 

“The fate already repaid him. You once said that you believe that will happen.” MyungSoo spoke and SungYeol could almost feel the shocked expression on Hoya’s face. “So meeting him wouldn’t harm, would it? He had rough times too.”

 

 

“Korea affects you somehow.” SungYeol said in Japanese, looking straight at MyungSoo, who shook his head in denial.

 

 

“You’re the one affecting me. I know you won’t be at ease if you won’t meet him sooner or later, so better do sooner.” MyungSoo replied also in Japanese, a hint of smile in his eyes.

 

 

“Nope. Korea is affecting you.” SungYeol smiled and pressed a light kiss on MyungSoo’s lips.

 

 

“I have no idea what was that you said right now, but I understood that MyungSoo also thinks that you should meet WooHyun, am I right?” DongWoo asked, attracting MyungSoo’s and SungYeol’s attention.

 

“Yes.” MyungSoo nodded and DongWoo smiled a big bright smile.

 

 

“Great! Then we will pick you up at your place around nine, so that we could wait until closing, okay?” he asked and stood up, as he and Hoya had to return to the university.

 

 

They bid their goodbyes, during which DongWoo hugged MyungSoo again (he did that once in a while which was shocking for MyungSoo, amusing for SungYeol and infarct-worthy for Hoya), and soon they parted their ways – SungYeol and MyungSoo heading back to bookstore, while others returned to lectures.

 

 

“I miss going to university.” SungYeol sighed, as they walked back home hand in hand.

 

 

“Why?” MyungSoo asked.

 

 

“Well… It was always fun there. I could find something fun even in the boring lectures. Beside I could always meet new people and learn something new.” He said with a sigh. “You should try.”

 

 

“I can’t.” MyungSoo said, his gaze locked at something in front of them.

 

 

“Why? Too many people?” SungYeol asked looking at MyungSoo.

 

 

“No. I have never gone to school that gives paper that affirms my knowledge. Just few home classes so I would know the basic things.” He said and looked at SungYeol for a second just to return his gaze to something far away afterwards.

 

 

“Sorry. I forgot…” SungYeol said quietly and for his surprise received a peck on the cheek.

 

 

“It’s okay.” MyungSoo said, looking at the distance again. SungYeol could swear that he saw a hint of smile in his face – a very dim one, but it was there.

 

 

 

The evening came faster than expected and soon DongWoo and Hoya were already in front of the bookshop, waiting for SungYeol and MyungSoo to come down.

 

SungYeol on the other hand was in panic. If he had to meet WooHyun, he wanted to look good, to be confident, and to show that he has overcome everything and now he is stronger, better. Of course, there was no reason for him to do that – nothing connected him to WooHyun in a way that would make him do that, but he still wanted to.

 

 

“You should calm down.” MyungSoo said, already waiting at the door step, looking amazing as always – blue/white/black plaid shirt that was left open, black v-neck under it, dark jeans, his dark bangs slightly falling in his eyes.

 

 

“Why can’t I have a natural fashion sense…”  SungYeol whined and returned back in the ‘apartment’ to look trough his current looks again. He was wearing dark jeans, black t-shirt and a striped purple/white hoodie over it and looked decent, but he felt that something was missing – his confidence. He sighed, as he had no time to search for it and returned to MyungSoo.

 

 

“Well, you two look great!” DongWoo cheered with a wide smile on his face as soon as both of them stepped trough the door. “Only I would fix one thing.” He said and started to dig trough his backpack – he always had it with him and most of the times he had everything that was needed (and even what wasn’t) in it. “Aha!” he cheered as he found a small box of something in his back. “MyungSoo, come here!” he said.

 

 

MyungSoo looked at SungYeol and other just shrug his shoulders. Hesitantly, he took a step closer to DongWoo, who had opened the box and rubbed the content of it between his fingers.

 

 

“I’ve been thinking about doing this since I saw you, but never had the reason or chance. Now I have both, because we are going to meet someone and such.” He spoke and took a step forward standing right in front of MyungSoo, who looked rather frozen. DongWoo reached his hands up and run his fingers trough MyungSoo’s bangs few times, lifting them up, then took a bit more of what turned out to be hair-wax from the box and run his fingers trough MyungSoo’s hair some more. “There. A bit of hairspray to fixate it and lift a bit higher would be good, but this looks good too, right?” he said and placed his hands on MyungSoo’s shoulders, turning him around so he would face SungYeol.

 

 

SungYeol had to admit that yes, MyungSoo indeed looked good with his bangs lifted up a little and styled. That hit him in his tiny confidence even more.

 

 

“Now we can go!” DongWoo said and grabbed speechless Hoya by his hand and started to head down the street.

 

 

“He’s weird.” MyungSoo said taking SungYeol’s hand and following the couple in front of them.

 

 

“Yes, but that’s the best about him.” SungYeol smiled and tried his best to stay calm, as his heart started to race faster and faster with each step he took closer to WooHyun and his past.

 

 

 

 

The place WooHyun worked wasn’t one of those highly popular and packed dining places. It was rather small, simple and visited either by locals or groups of students from nearest schools, as this place was cheaper than most.

 

 

A bronze-haired male was standing behind the counter, placing an order on a plate that was held by a dark haired figure. The figure turned around after receiving all of it and SungYeol froze at the door not even entering the diner.

 

 

That was WooHyun and he indeed seemed very happy. He smiled brightly as he served the food for a group of school girls, winked at them, earning a squeal from one of them, and then returned to the counter to receive a judging look from the other male, whose eyes now rather looked like thin lines drawn on his face. WooHyun just laughed it of and ruffled others bronze hair, but other shook him of returning to the what it seemed kitchen, leaving WooHyun there,

 

 

“We need to go in.” MyungSoo said, waking SungYeol up from his trance.

 

 

“I can’t.”  SungYeol shook his head and tried to turn around to walk way, but MyungSoo caught him in hug instead.

 

 

“You can. I’m here so everything will be fine.” He said quietly and SungYeol relaxed a little,

 

 

“Ok…” he sighed and stepped out of the hug and looked at Hoya and DongWoo, who both were waiting at the door already. He nodded once and all four of them went in and took a seat at the furthest corner of the place.

 

 

“Hello! Welcome to our restaurant. What could I…” WooHyun spoke cheerfully as soon as he stood next to the table but stopped as soon as he noticed SungYeol. “SungYeol…” he whispered and the platter in has hand shook a little. “I… I…” he stammered and looked as if he had seen a ghost and was not the ghost SungYeol feared to meet – his face turning pale.

 

 

“We’ll take the usual only in double.” DongWoo said and placed his hand on WooHyun’s elbow.

 

 

“O…Okay.” He said and turned around as fats as possible and disappearing in the kitchen area.

 

 

“I knew we should have warned him beforehand.” Hoya sighed and leaned back in his seat.

 

 

“To stress him out in the middle of the work day? Really?” DongWoo looked at Hoya in disbelief for a moment. “Everything will be ok.” He said, this time turning to SungYeol who seemed to drill holes in the surface of the table with his gaze.

 

 

“I’m sorry,” a voice spoke. All of them looked up. The speaker was the bronze haired guy. “WooHyun asked, if you could stay till closing and would you mind, if I would serve you instead.” He said with a small smile on his lips.

 

 

“We’re fine with both.” DongWoo said and the guy left. “That’s SungGyu – the owner of this place and WooHyun’s medicine.”

 

 

“Medicine?” SungYeol looked up from the table.

 

 

“He healed WooHyun’s mind, heart and spirit.” Hoya said. “No wonder WooHyun loves him so much.”

 

 

The sudden silence at the table was such contrast with the chatter around other tables that it seemed almost like not from this world.

 

 

“Yah! Shouldn’t have WooHyun said it himself?” DongWoo slapped Hoya’s shoulder making other to yelp in pain.

 

 

“Sorry…” Hoya muttered rubbing his shoulder.

 

 

“Your food is here.” A voice that belonged to bronze haired guy aka. SungGyu spoke. “Did I interrupt something?” he asked.

 

 

“No.” DongWoo smiled and SungGyu smiled in return. He left the order on the table and left again.

 

 

 

 

“It’s good, right?” DongWoo asked, stuffing a spoonful of rice an kimchi in his mouth and received a nod from MyungSoo but SungYeol hadn’t even touched his food. “SungYeol?” DongWoo spoke after swallowing the bite and SungYeol raised his eyes from the table. “You should eat something.” He said but SungYeol shook his head.

 

 

“I don’t wan to.”  He said before a spoon with rice appeared in front of his mouth.

 

 

“Eat.” MyungSoo said. “You’re still too skinny so you need to eat.” He continued and as soon SungYeol opened his mouth to protest, shoved the spoon with rice in to his mouth.

 

 

“Haahahahhhahahahahaha!” DongWoo burst out in laughter. “I should remember this and use it when someone” he glanced at Hoya “refuses to eat for lame reasons.” He laughed again.

 

 

The evening went on fast and soon they were the only ones left in the diner. SungGyu turned the sign in the door to ‘closed’, closed the curtains for the front window and took an extra chair to set behind their table.

 

 

“WooHyun should come out soon.” He said with a sigh and glanced at the kitchen area. “It’s quite a shock for him to see you here. SungYeol, right?” he said and looked at SungYeol, receiving a nod in reply. “I’m SungGyu.” He said and reached his hand for greeting which SungYeol accepted. “And you would be?” he turned to MyungSoo.

 

 

“MyungSoo.” He replied and they as well shook hands.

 

 

“As I said, he’s quite in shock. He still feels bad about his actions. I know. We’ve talked about it a lot.” SungGyu sighed again. “He’s really sorry. Believe me.” He turned to SungYeol. “He never imagined that…” a movement behind him made him to stop and turn around to look at WooHyun, who was slowly walking toward the table.

 

 

He stopped right at it and dropped on his knees, bowing to the ground making all of them shocked.

 

 

“I’m sorry. I was an arrogant fool. I didn't even think when I said all that and I have no idea how much I hurt you. I am so sorry.” He said with a small sob, his forehead resting against the floor.

 

 

“WooHyun…” SungYeol whispered and reached forward, to pull WooHyun up, but other didn’t seem to budge. He just flinched at SungYeol's touch making other to pull his hand back.

 

 

“WooHyun~ah.” SungGyu wrapped his arms around WooHyun’s shoulders and somehow managed to pull WooHyun up and absolutely ignoring everyone straight in to his lap. "Shhhhh." He tried to shush the sobbing male down a little but nothing seemed to work and that stabbed SungYeol's heart. 

 

 

He stood up and despite the awkward position hugged WooHyun. "It's ok. I'm fine and you're fine and that's all past and we should just forget it." he said, holding his best not to burst out in sobs himself. 

 

WooHyun's arms wrapped around him in return. "I'm really sorry." he whispered.

 

"I know. And I really forgive you." SungYeol pulled out of the hug and tried his best to smile as brightly as possible and gladly he received a big smile in return.

 

"I don't want to be a mood breaker, because this is really great, but my leg went numb." SungGyu, who was still WooHyun's 'chair'. 

 

"Omo!" WooHyun jumped up and rubbed his eyes few times before he got his own chair. Meanwhile SungYeol sat back next to MyungSoo, taking his hand. 

 

"Are you jealous?" SungYeol asked to MyungSoo, while WooHyun tried to get SungGyu's numb leg back to life. 

 

"I am." MyungSoo replied, his face as stoic as it became when WooHyun appeared at the table. "But I can handle my jealousy." 

 

"Would you two please stop cutting everyone else out of your conversations by switching the language?" DongWoo whined.

 

"Sorry." SungYeol smiled. "Uuuum." He looked at WooHyun and then looked back at MyungSoo. "Right! This is MyungSoo, my... more than a boyfriend." he said. the last part still didn't sound right be hadn't come up with anything better.

 

"Nice to meet you." WooHyun said with a smile, his eyes still a bit red. "Then, this is SungGyu - my more than a boyfriend." They all smiled (apart from MyungSoo, whose face just became less stiff) and for a moment there was silence at the table, until WooHyun spoke again. "So, where were you for all this time?" he asked and SungYeol took a deep breath.

 

"It's a really long and... ugly story." he said and felt slight pressure on his hand, which was still held by MyungSoo.

 

"I think we have plenty of time." Hoya said and SungYeol took another deep breath to tell the story he hated the most, apart from it's ending and meeting an angel in abandoned building. 

 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

A~yo!
This update was up fast, wasn’t it? But don't get used to it though. Next one only on upcoming 6day, if things will go well.
I decided to force myself in to creative mood and finish this as soon as possible. There are 3-4 chapters(MAYBE 5) left, so I don’t want to stop and disappear before the very end again.
So, now we have MyungYeol, YaDong, WooGyu, too-fabulous-for-this SungJong and subtle 2Seop here. OTP’s YO! 
P.S. Would you like to read WooGyu's side of this story?
Anyway… What do you think will happen next? (I have everything planned out, I’m just curious about your ideas)

 

So, this how MyungSoo looked (I just LOVE him... I mean how he looks. Plaid shirts = love.):

This is how SungYeollie ended up:

And bonus – have a Namu heart, because no one can resist The Greasy Tree <3 and because I love you all.