Day by Day

Can You Smile

 

SungYeol winced as sun hit his face. Already for quite some time he hadn’t slept so well – without fear of being attacked or getting drenched by rain. He almost felt as safe as when he lived in a decent apartment or with his family, when he had his old, normal life. Almost…

The sun kept burning his face to the extent he felt like it was being fried on a pan so he opened his eyes and sat up.

He looked around and blinked a few times before he understood where exactly and why he was and that his mysterious angel Jiu was nowhere to be seen. There was only a small pile of grey-ish clothes on his mattress along with a towel and a toothbrush – one of the simple items SungYeol missed in his life.

He crawled to the mattress, picked up the clothes and the items and stood up to search for Jiu.

As if drawn by an invisible force he headed straight to the roof, where last night he probably had the best meal in his entire life. His mind was half hunger blinded then and the meal was nothing special actually, but then and now as well it seemed as something heavenly.

He stepped on the roof and it wasn’t hard for him to notice Jiu.

The blond was currently standing on his hands, perfectly still; his facing SungYeol, his white shirt neatly folded and put on the ground next to him.

A small annoying voice that hadn’t spoke to SungYeol for quite a while whispered something about Jiu being cute because of the way how his hair were falling right now, but SungYeol waved it of.

Carefully, as if the roof was made of thin branches and could brake in with each step, SungYeol went around the blond so he could face him and as soon as he stood in front of other he wanted to desperately slap himself.

Not only Jiu’s face was perfect – so was his body and the annoying little voice in SungYeol’s started to whisper countless things SungYeol could do that creamy skin, those gorgeous abs and firm arms and what ever his white pants were hiding as a gratitude for Jiu’s kind heart, but SungYeol waved the voice away again. He didn’t thank anyone like that no more. His pride won over his desire to survive on one of those days and he no longer ‘thanked’ anyone the way he used to do when he didn’t know any other way to survive.

Jiu’s eyes opened and SungYeol jumped a little, as Jiu stared right at him.

“I was just wondering…” SungYeol spoke and before he finished his sentence he had to step back a bit as Jiu almost bent in half and put his feet on the ground, while his hands hadn’t moved even a bit.

The little voice in SungYeol’s mind started to murmur something again, but he shook it of.

“You stink.” The blond said and straightened up, picking up his shirt before.

“Huh?” SungYeol breathed out.

“You’ve been on streets too long. It was impossible to sleep with your stench in the room.” Jiu said and pulled the shirt over his head. “Down the hallway. First door to the right.” He said and walked away without explaining a thing.

SungYeol walked to the edge of the roof and soon saw Jiu’s light form disappearing in the forest, walking away somewhere by the same road SungYeol basically crawled here yesterday.

According to Jiu’s instructions SungYeol headed down the hall and opened the first door on the right and found the reason why from all this huge property, Jiu had chose to live exactly in that room. It seemed that before the project of the house was stopped they managed to install the basic pipes and water in this part of the house.

The said doors were hiding a small and by small it was meant really small bathroom from which a small corner was dedicated to a primitive shower but SungYeol couldn’t care less. The last time he bathed or brushed his teeth or had clean clothes to wear was too far ago to remember so this was as heavenly as yesterdays meal.

The water was near icy cold and at first it felt like SungYeol’s limbs will freeze and fall off, but he had a chance to wash away the dirt, sweat and with no denial – blood as well from his scraggy body returning a bit of his lost humanity to him. The same effect gave the very first second when the toothbrush touched his teeth and the minty taste of the toothpaste invaded his mouth. If not his pride, that seemed to gain back control of SungYeol like in the old days, he would have moaned.

The clothes were quite baggy on SungYeol’s emaciated frame, but they were clean and didn’t had the repulsive stench of cigarettes, alcohol and all kind of dirt on them as SungYeol’s old rags. He wasn’t the worst case that had ever walked the streets, but how clean can you keep yourself when you have no roof over your head and no money?

After exiting the room that now SungYeol was ready to worship just because of this perfectly human-like feeling he had again he decided on exploring the rest of the enormous building as he felt that it had more secrets and surprises than just an angel-like guy and a bathroom in it.

The rest of the fourth floor that he could access was empty, apart from a stack of dry firewood in one of the further rooms. The third floor just had few pieces of old furniture scattered here and there and few broken windows.When SungYeol was already ready to step on the second floor he basically froze in thin air as he saw Jiu standing in front of him.

“Didn’t I say to stay away from my business?” Jiu asked, his voice as monotone as when ever he spoke.

“I…didn’t… I mean… How could I know?” SungYeol stammered and started to think every possible way on how he could already break the only rule set to him by the angel-like male in front of him in just few hours exploring the house.

“The second and the first floor are of limits. You can get out by taking other stairs.” Jiu said, and turned around to leave. He took a few steps and then stopped to look at still frozen SungYeol.

“I…I… Understood.” SungYeol stuttered and turned around too quickly that his head spun and he almost lost his balance and fell backwards. His body was still weak from all the starving he had to go trough and his stomach decided to remind of his existence with a monstrous growl.

“The kettle is behind the nightstand.” Jiu said and when SungYeol turned his head to look at the blond he was no longer there.

Still looking back SungYeol took a step forward and nearly landed face forward as he was still on the stairs and tripped over one of the staircases. “Pull yourself together, SungYeol.” He muttered and returned to the fourth floor in search for the kettle, which was probably a subtle hint for him to boil water and make noodles and not to gnaw them dry.

The kettle was where Jiu said it was and finding it was as easy as filling it with water. Making a fire and figuring out how to place the kettle was a whole different thing and SungYeol somehow managed to do that only after burning his hands 3 times, yet the blissful taste of noodles (who would have thought that someone would call that taste blissful) confuted that completely.

SungYeol spent the rest of the day with catching up on his lost sleep and enjoying the sun on the roof top.

He had countless dreams that for a change were filled with something else than the dark figures of his past. They had this one figure – all dressed in white and with fair hair in each of them and SungYeol couldn’t hold back a smile in his dream.

He forced his eyes open only when a mildly familiar scent started to swirl around him. He sat up and blinked. The scene was familiar – Jiu sitting on the edge of the roof, looking at branches being turned in to ashes by fire and that night’s dinner quietly roasting.

SungYeol stretched and took his place on the edge of the roof just like yesterday, staring at the fire just like Jiu did.

As soon as the pigeon was done the skewer was handed to SungYeol and Jiu stood up and headed toward the door that lead back in to the house.

“Don’t you wanna…” SungYeol looked wide eyed at the blond who stopped and turned to SungYeol a little.

“You’re too skinny.” He said and disappeared in to the house.

His voice didn’t have any particular emotion, neither had his face but it seemed that he really cared about SungYeol which shocked the other.

It was only the second day of him knowing Jiu, but SungYeol was sure that more and more fascinating things about Jiu day by day. 

 

 

-------------------------------
I would call this an 'empty' chapter, as it showed just a slight progress in the story and between Jiu and SungYeol.
But I couldn't just jump to event of next chapter, not to mention or anything.
So, hope this chapter which was rather full of SungYeol just getting to know his new enviroment and me adding some reasonable things to it (as Jiu is too classy to live in a dumpster) didn't bore you.
And the next chapter will be much longer, so don't midn this beign so short.

Leaving you with some bcdsgfskhgfsdee MyungSoo from Infinite's debut MV 'Come Back Again'